Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alice loves the outdoors, and gets so excited when she sees her harness and leash. I took the camera with me today on our little walk and snapped a few pictures of her exploring. They aren't the best, but that's what you get when you have a kitty who's all go-go-go!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
suwanee - Haha! She is kind of squirrely, that's for sure. :p

Susan - Alice and Samantha both do. They each have their own harnesses and leashes, and usually my boyfriend will take Alice while I take Sammy and we walk them together. :) Rochelle has no desire to ever go outside again I think...she gets so scared that I don't even want to try putting the undo stress on her, poor little girl.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I tried to put a harness on Muffs when she was little, to no avail. But, having seen your pictures and reading other threads on the issue, I think I might try again with my girls this summer. Perhaps I'll start with Abby, since I might have more luck with her. If Muffs sees Abby having fun, perhaps she'll be more willing to give it a shot. But, first we need to get rid of the snow!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wish you luck if you decide to try with your girls. Hopefully, Muffin will come around this time. :)

You could actually start getting them trained to use a harness before the snow ends, so that when it is warmer you are all ready for the outside. Have them wear the harness around the house. Just a few minutes a day, until they get comfortable with it. Then attach the leash in the house and walk them around the rooms, and see how they react. Once Spring comes you'll hopefully be ready for the outside! :D

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Good idea! I shall give that a try. Of course, I needn't rush right into things, since here in Canada we have a very LONG winter!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
She seems to be enjoying her trip outside!

I've had some great success getting Athena used to her harness. I "walked" (more like followed) her around the condo with the leash today, and she seems like a natural.

I haven't tried with Apollo yet as he's the more stubborn/skittish one. We might take Athena out for a little stroll today. :)

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Athena sounds exactly like Alice on the leash...she wants to lead, but doesn't try to pull or get away. Just wants to walk. :) Alice has gotten so used to walking on the leash, that in the house my boyfriend can walk her on an "invisible leash"...he "tugs" on it and she follows him in whatever direction he "tugs" the "leash" in. It's hilarious.

Samantha just walks at my side, never tries to get ahead or anything. If I stop she stops, and so on. The only exception is when we go to PetCo or something. She will always, without fail, lead me to the food isle...and lay down in front of it. She's a girl who knows what she wants. :crazy

If you take Athena outside for a walk, let us know how it goes! :D

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Actually I just took them both out! One at a time since my boyfriend wasn't able to accompany me. It went pretty well! We didn't go far, just wandered around a bit outside the condo to get them used to being outside/being on the leash. Athena got a little startled when a neighbor walked by, and neither wanted to wander far (Apollo mostly just wanted to sniff everything) but they seemed pretty fascinated by the whole thing.

I hope I can eventually get them comfortable enough with it that we can go for walks around the neighborhood and they can come with me to the pet store and stuff.

I was surprised by how well it went. But it makes sense. My cats have never been "laze around the house" sort of cats. They're pretty high-energy and social, so it seems only natural that they'd enjoy something like this. It's like I have little clever dogs that are litter-box trained. XD

·
Registered
188 Posts
I take Luke to the back yard enclosure on a leash with harness. Sometimes he'd like me to walk him around the lot more but I don't dare to. In NH a big dog entered my land when I had Pete on a leash, and Pete freaked out and bit deep into my thumb, and I had to go to ER for it. Looks like you have a better place to walk cats than I do. I'm in a small city lot and you never know when someone's dog might be loose.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I take Luke to the back yard enclosure on a leash with harness. Sometimes he'd like me to walk him around the lot more but I don't dare to. In NH a big dog entered my land when I had Pete on a leash, and Pete freaked out and bit deep into my thumb, and I had to go to ER for it. Looks like you have a better place to walk cats than I do. I'm in a small city lot and you never know when someone's dog might be loose.
Sorry to hear about what happened with your thumb...ouch! I know cat bites can be really bad. :( Yes, dogs are always a concern. Good thing is the only neighbors that I know of in my immediate apartment complex that have a dog and take them to the backyard where I go with the kitties, is the guys right across the breezeway...and because their dog is so huge, they take him out at odd times of the day. So I pretty much have the run of the apartment backyard for the most part. They also know that we have cats and that we walk them, so they always look for us first before bringing their dog out. They are very considerate. :)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Yeah, I do get nervous about dogs. I used to worry about that even when walking my pomeranian (because he's so little, a big dog could hurt him).

Thankfully few people dare to let their dogs run around leashless in my area because it's full of such busy streets. Most of them won't dare let their dogs wander far, lest they run into the road.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How cute! She looks just like my sisters cat except my sisters cat is ginormously overweight lol U can tell shes really hyped about her walk :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts