Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before i start i would like to state that these kittens already have their eyes open.

We are fostering 3 kittens. And they are good healthy kitties, but one of them (i think her name is Pansey, i didnt name her), no matter what, always meows screams and complains. We feed her, hold her, pet her, and all she dose is complain! The only time she doesnt complain is when she is sleeping, and when i set her down in the hallway to explore (she still screams then to but not as much).

Also, when i set her down on my lap and somebody comes up and pets her and walks off, she will try to follow and scream at them to! This couldnt be a cry for attention because im already right here holding and petting her!

Her brother dose this to but not NEARLY as much and he usually quiets down when he gets comfurtable.

Also, when we set her down in the room we keep them in, she will run up to the door and wait for it to open, and while she waits, SHE SCREAMS! And when its open, she tries to run through it WHILE SCREAMING!

She also has a sucking problem, she likes to suck on her brothers back, but only his!

The third kitten is part persian and acks like the typical persian. She just lays there and excepts what attention she gets, sure she will cry when she wants something or get up to do stuff (like eat and poo), but when shes not doing that she just sits and relax's.

Im really worried about Pansey. No matter what i do she always screams!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Is the mother cat with them? Either way, this kitten is in need of either more food or more nursing time--or it is in pain. A young kitten doesn't usually scream unless it's hungry or in pain. Perhaps a trip to the vet is in order. If mother is rejecting the kitten, there's a good possibility something's wrong. And if it's screaming, I think it's almost a certainty.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeanie said:
Is the mother cat with them? Either way, this kitten is in need of either more food or more nursing time--or it is in pain. A young kitten doesn't usually scream unless it's hungry or in pain. Perhaps a trip to the vet is in order. If mother is rejecting the kitten, there's a good possibility something's wrong. And if it's screaming, I think it's almost a certainty.
No the mother isnt with them. And no i dont think its in pain, i can tell (she doesnt get any louder when i pick her up).

I kind of thought she needs more food. We have a bowl in there that they can drink from, but i think she just spaslh's around in it because they all seem sticky and wet.

My bro just tried to give her more food from a kitten bottle, he says (in an annoyed voice as usual, hes an idiot after-all) that all she did was climb all over the bottle and would bite it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm no cat psychologist, but I wonder could it have to do with the conditions the kitties are in. Now please understand I'm not saying you're treating your kitties badly AT ALL. I just mean that you mention in your posts "the room in which we keep them" and "allowing Pansey out to the hall to explore" and "her sitting by the door and screaming" - I wonder could kitty be bored and complaining that she isn't being allowed free roam of what she may well consider her territory? I understand they are small kittens, but do they need to be kept in a seperate area? Also maybe rather than being petted and given a lap maybe she needs exercise and play - maybe she's restless and bored? When you say she quiets down a bit when she gets to explore, that's because she has something to captivate her attention. I'm sure drjean would have a comment about this.

Just a thought, and again I do not mean to imply any criticism with this post.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay im letting them explore my room, and it has quited them down a lot, if i give them attention that is, Tansey needs a SERIOUS bath because splashs in her food and makes her sticky and i think she had diareha or however its spelt.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured out what they want (sorta): Cuddles

Once they are cuddling up Tansey and Yoda(Scartch Fury Destroyer of Worlds) are happy, but Pansey is ONLY happy when she is sucking on Yoda's back.

But one weird thing they do is when somebody walks up to them, and they see them walk off (no matter what it is, whether it be dog, cat, or human, maybe even monkey) they will try to follow it and scream at it.

We feed them milk (the special cat formula kitten thingy kind) in bowls because my mom thinks bottles are dangerous because they can suck up air (which isnt good). And they LOVE to step in it, they are learning how to drink it though. But for some reason, Scartch Fury(yoda) crawls in it! AND THROUGH IT! And then steps out of it, looks up into the air, and starts screaming! Also, he will walk into walls and try to climb up them! And when they are all at the door screaming, the 2 would be at the doornob side (the correct side) and Scratch would be off on the other side trying to climb the wall while screaming!

But i know he isnt blind, because he can still run up to me and try to climb my leg, and he finds my other cats just fine, and the other kittens without a problem, and his eyes dont look like they are blind.

Now usually when they arnt eating they are sleeping, but not Pansey, she still sits at the door screaming. She REALLY wants something to suck on!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just how old are these kittens? I know you said they had opened their eyes, but how many weeks are they now? Small kittens need to suck at least until they are 6-8 weeks, so tell your mother that if you hold the bottle right, it will be OK. You feed human babies with a bottle, so why not a kitten?I think mayby the screamy one just misses her mom, and that's why she sucks her brother's back. But it might be difficult to make them suck a bottle though.
You just have to accept that they step into the food/milk plate. That is what small kittens do.
Maybe you could borrow a book at the library on how to raise infant kittens without a mother?

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Kittens are born with the instinct to suck. If your mother won't allow the use of a bottle, wash your hands, dip your little finger in the formula and let the kitten suck the milk off. Perhaps one of your other animals will allow the kitten to nurse. My collie dog raised a kitten while I supplemented with formula. The kitten got the love and nursing she needed. Of course, collies are very gentle dogs. That baby needs a mother.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I fed Minnie and Jerry with a baby bottle after there mom died. It was a special kitten bottle. They also drank kitten formula. Have you been stimulating there bottoms to go to the bathroom? You really need to feed them every couple hours and help them go to the bathroom. Otherwise your kittens will die. How old are they?

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
They're very inexpensive. If you're going to foster kittens, you should have several on hand. Otherwise, it would be best for someone with the right equipment to care for them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found it, it was on the counter right where whoever had it last left it (ugh). It needs to be cleaned though, this things dirtier then... then... something very dirty :shock: !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts