Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been feeding my kitten a "mostly" all wet diet along with my other 2 adult cats...

i would say he eats 70-80% wet, with a little dry kitten kibble here and there.

but lately ive noticed hes been having loose stools...
not entirely water, but certainly not formed....

ive only noticed the past 2 days, so it may have been going on for longer...
he eats, and drinks, and plays like normal...

hes been eating the same thing as he usually does (wellness kitten + whatever wellness adult he steals from the older kitties)

my question is, is the all wet diet causing the loose stools?
perhaps the extra moisture is not needed by his body and is expelled along with the rest of the waste materials?

because ive NEVER seen my overweight kitty have a loose bowel movement.. EVER... and he LOVES his dry food.... ive gotten him down to maybe 60/40 in favor of dry, and that was quite a challenge.....

[hyp]

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Wet food shouldn't cause loose stools. Is it just the kitten that has the loose stools?

How long do you leave the food out for? You shouldn't leave wet food out for more than 1/2 at a time, because of the bacterial growth. Also, never mix dry food in with wet.

If neither of those things are the culprit, it may be a medical problem. When was the last vet appointment you had? Has the kitten been dewormed?

I'm just asking so many questions, because wet food *shouldn't* cause loose stool. I've found that my cats' stool has become a bit more soft, but I think the consistency is more normal now, versus the really hard stool they had before.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Another common problem is a too-rapid change from dry to wet. The entire bacterial population of the small intestine and colon have to competely change over to a ratio that can handle the new food; this takes a couple of weeks. ALso, wet food is so much richer and so much moisture, well it really takes a complete retread of the "factory" in order to efficiently handle it.

However, relax, a little diarrhea never hurt anyone. Once the system is rebalanced, all will be well. You can help it along by adding digestive enzymes and probiotics. Here's info on those: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... atsanddogs

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahhh, i may have found the culprit....
i do happen to leave kitties food out for a while....
my cats seem to get hungry a few hours later, so i tend to leave the food out for a bit....

hes been eating the mostly wet diet since ive gotten him... so that cant be it...

hes had 3 visits to the vet including his rabies shot, so im pretty sure hes dewormed....

perhaps i didnt not notice this problem untill recently because of the weather... its been hot and humid lately.... perfect conditions for bacterial growth....

ill start cleaning up their food 30min after and see if there are any changes!

[hyp]

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm.....

stool is still the same...
runny.. not COMPLETEY water, but not well formed like my other cats.

ive been making sure to clean up their food as soon as they are done eating, and they have been on the same diet for a long time now....

i wonder if i should bring him to the vet....
hes almost 18 weeks so i dont think worms are a problem...

if there were more symptoms i would be worried... but he has a ravinous appetite, and plays almost non-stop (tho i do find him sleeping a bit more with the other kitties due to the HOT humid weather we are having)
his coat and skin turgor seem normal...
i just cant seem to get to the bottem of this...
perhaps this is his normal state?

rarepuss: All my cats BMs stink quite badly... i really cant tell them apart :p

is there anything i am overlooking?
Its not diet change
im fairly sure its not worms
ive been doing my best to clean up their food (but there are 2 other people who feed them while i am working or not around.. they may not be as diligant as i am with their food... ive told them time and time again, but i cant be 100% certain they actually listen to me)
hes not showing any signs of being sick.

Hmm its a mystery... perhaps his tummy doesnt like wellness kitten food?
ive been feeding it to him since we got him from the breeder (about 10 weeks ago)

again, ill keep yall informed... if anyone has any other suggestions let me know....

[hyp]

·
Registered
983 Posts
hyper_dermic said:
Hmmmm.....

stool is still the same...
runny.. not COMPLETEY water, but not well formed like my other cats.

ive been making sure to clean up their food as soon as they are done eating, and they have been on the same diet for a long time now....

i wonder if i should bring him to the vet....
hes almost 18 weeks so i dont think worms are a problem...

if there were more symptoms i would be worried... but he has a ravinous appetite, and plays almost non-stop (tho i do find him sleeping a bit more with the other kitties due to the HOT humid weather we are having)
his coat and skin turgor seem normal...
i just cant seem to get to the bottem of this...
perhaps this is his normal state?

rarepuss: All my cats BMs stink quite badly... i really cant tell them apart :p

is there anything i am overlooking?
Its not diet change
im fairly sure its not worms
ive been doing my best to clean up their food (but there are 2 other people who feed them while i am working or not around.. they may not be as diligant as i am with their food... ive told them time and time again, but i cant be 100% certain they actually listen to me)
hes not showing any signs of being sick.

Hmm its a mystery... perhaps his tummy doesnt like wellness kitten food?
ive been feeding it to him since we got him from the breeder (about 10 weeks ago)

again, ill keep yall informed... if anyone has any other suggestions let me know....

[hyp]
The only other thing i'd suggest if you dont' want to take the cat in is to get a sample of his loose poo and take that to the vet to be examined for worms... that's about it.. good luck :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
From what I remember, diarrhea is only supposed to last a few days at most when it arises as a minor problem. I remember Tyson did have loose stools when I started feeding him more wet food, so I started mixing acidophilus & psyllium powder into his wet food and it cleared right up... acidophilus to promote good bacterial growth and psyllium powder to add some extra fiber into his diet (since he was used to having dry food).

If you're still concerned, especially about dehydration (since that usually happens with loose stools & diarrhea), I would take a stool sample & your cat to the vet.

Best of luck,
Brite

1 - 9 of 9 Posts