Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Sorry I haven't been on here in months; I got a promotion at work last fall, which has meant many more hours there and basically zero internet time at home. I hope everyone has been doing well!

Monday night, Allegro peed outside of the litterbox for the first time--in the corner of the living room. Having read enough of cat forum posts in the past, the first thing I did the next day was to call the vet and have him brought in to get tested. It took him forever to pee there, but my husband brought him home today. The vet found traces of crystals and red blood cells in his urine. No white blood cells, so no infection, and no medicine--but they told my husband that he needed to eat only canned food for the rest of his life (we have previously been feeding our cats Wellness Core dry food with occasional grain-free wet food); specifically, that he should eat Hill's C/D canned food. When my husband told me that they sold him a couple cans to start off, I said "oh, they only have Science Diet", and he said "No! It was something else." and I said "Hill's? Because that's the same company", and he responded "What!? I feel tricked!"

Anyway, the vet is now closed, so I'll have to talk to them tomorrow, but I wanted to get CatForum's take on this. Are there any other brands that make food for bladder health? Will any canned food do (like Wellness/EVO/etc.), or do we need to stick with only Hill's C/D? Should we switch our two other cats over to the same food we will be feeding Allegro? Anything else we can do to help the poor guy? I just want to make sure he gets the best thing. My husband does not want to consider a raw diet, mostly because it's not really feasible with our schedule.

I am really relieved that we adopted him--after we put a hold on him and Coda, apparently some "weird trashy people" (according to the Petsmart employee) wanted to adopt them, and they were glad to say that we had already reserved them. Sadly, many people I know would react to a cat peeing on the carpet by punishing the cat, getting rid of the cat, or just accepting that the cat was trying to "get back at them" for something (the receptionist at the vet's office actually suggested that Allegro was mad at us for being gone in the evenings over Christmas, and that was why he peed on the carpet!) Our cats are just so good with their litterbox habits that I knew it had to be something medical going on, and now I'm worried that my poor Allegro is still in pain.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? I stayed up late last night doing research--trying to convince my husband to agree to getting a ceramic drinking fountain for the cats and trying some raw feeding once the cats have switched to canned food...he's not sure about the raw thing.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I don't have experience with crystals, but judging canned foods and their water content, I would say Weruva is a great source. They have a lot of water and the protein is not too high to mess with the cat's kidneys.

Paw Lickin' Chicken
Ingredients
Chicken (Boneless, Skinless, White Breast), Water Sufficient For Processing, Potato Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 10%, Crude Fat (min) 1.4%, Crude Fiber (max) 0.5%, Moisture (max) 85%, Ash (max) 1.2%, Taurine (min) 0.05%, Calcium (max) 0.20%, Phosphorus (max) 0.17%, Magnesium (max) 0.018%
Calories: 3.0oz Can 46, 5.5oz Can 84
Average Analysis:
Crude Protein 12%, Crude Fat 1.7%, Crude Fiber 0.06%, Moisture 79%, Ash 0.74%, Phosphorus 0.14%
Calories: 3.0oz Can 59, 5.5oz Can 108

Nine Liver
Ingredients
Chicken (Boneless, Skinless, White Breast), Water Sufficient For Processing, Chicken Liver, Potato Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Xanthan Gum, Dicalcium Phosphate, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min) 10%, Crude Fat (min) 1.4%, Crude Fiber (max) 0.5%, Moisture (max) 85%, Ash (max) 1.2%, Taurine (min) 0.05%, Calcium (max) 0.20%, Phosphorus (max) 0.17%, Magnesium (max) 0.018%
Average Analysis:
Crude Protein 12%, Crude Fat 2.2%, Crude Fiber 0.06%, Moisture 80%, Ash 0.79%, Phosphorus 0.15%
Calories: 3.0oz Can 63, 5.5oz Can 115

Green Eggs and Chicken
Ingredients
Chicken (Boneless, Skinless, White Breast), Water Sufficient For Processing, Potato Starch, Egg, Pea, Sunflower Seed Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Spinach, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Average Analysis:
Crude Protein 12%, Crude Fat 2.3%, Crude Fiber 0.09%, Moisture 80%, Ash 0.77%, Phosphorus 0.15%
Calories: 3.0oz Can 63, 5.5oz Can 117

Peking Ducken
Ingredients
Chicken (Boneless, Skinless, White Breast), Water Sufficient For Processing, Duck, Pumpkin, Potato Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Average Analysis:
Crude Protein 12%, Crude Fat 2.4%, Crude Fiber 0.08%, Moisture 81%, Ash 0.78%, Phosphorus 0.16%
Calories: 3.0oz Can 64, 5.5oz Can 118

Grandma's Chicken Soup
Ingredients
Chicken (Boneless, Skinless, White Breast), Chicken Broth, Carrot, Pumpkin, Pea, Tapioca Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Average Analysis:
Crude Protein 10%, Crude Fat 2%, Crude Fiber 0.09%, Moisture 82%, Ash 0.74%, Phosphorus 0.13%
Calories: 3.0oz Can 54, 5.5oz Can 100

On the Cat Wok
Ingredients
Chicken (Boneless, Skinless, White Breast), Water Sufficient For Processing, Beef, Pumpkin, Potato Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum, Spinach, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Average Analysis:
Crude Protein 12%, Crude Fat 2.1%, Crude Fiber 0.08%, Moisture 80%, Ash 0.88%, Phosphorus 0.15%
Calories: 3.0oz Can 62, 5.5oz Can 114

Steak Frites
Ingredients
Beef, Water Sufficient For Processing, Pumpkin, Sweet Potato, Potato Starch, Sunflower Seed Oil, Dicalcium Phosphate, Xanthan Gum Choline Chloride, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Nicotinic Acid (Vitamin B3), Ferrous Sulfate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Supplement, Potassium Iodide, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Average Analysis:
Crude Protein 12%, Crude Fat 2.3%, Crude Fiber 0.08%, Moisture 80%, Ash 0.92%, Phosphorus 0.16%
Calories: 3.0oz Can 63, 5.5oz Can 117

and all of these are grain free. This is what I feed my own cats an I usually add a bit more water to the gravy to make it soupier. They lap it all up. The biggest thing that sticks out to me when comparing Hill's c/d canned to any of these is the calorie content so if you cat is underweight, then it's probably not a good idea.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I wish I could remember what I used to feed my old cat BJ. He had started to pee on carpets because he was peeing blood and wanted us to notice. I was about 12 when this happened, so it's hard to remember what the vet said. I know he was put on a low ash diet. I do remember there were a few brands that had this kind.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My little guy, Matti, went to the vet after peeing on the bed... turned out he had struvite crystals and a bladder infection. I was also pressed into feeding him Hills C/D.

Everyone except for my vet said: feed all canned and transition to raw if possible; my vet only wanted to hear that I was going to feed him C/D.

Through research and conversation I found that initially getting him healthy was the most important, and it was suggested to keep him on the C/D until he was healthy. Once he's healthy again (Matti had a 2nd urinalysis done about 2 weeks after his initial vet visit), feed all canned and maybe even add extra water to the canned as suggested above.

Below is a link to my thread here about my boy's issues and switching to a new diet. While you are not pursuing raw, Auntie Crazy (a member here) had some really good resources to share that is applicable to Allegro's situation

http://www.catforum.com/forum/62-raw-food-diet/150619-urinary-problems-switching-raw-2.html

Good luck!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all!

Dweamgoil, I'll look into Weruva. Those look like they have low ash content. Allegro is just a few ounces over his ideal weight, so he could stand to have a lower-calorie food.

Lyndzo, I didn't know about the low ash- thanks!

Matthias, thanks! I actually was searching the board for posts about similar topics, and so I found yours and read it. I really am looking into raw feeding. My husband has been adamantly against it (mostly because he is super grossed out by raw meat- he literally can't handle it without feeling nauseous- yes, he's a big baby). I'm hoping to convince him with the argument that raw feeding is cheaper than buying grain-free canned food for three 2-year-old cats for the rest of their lives. We can still have canned food as a backup for when we're on vacation and such, or if the raw feeding thing doesn't work out.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I agree with Mathias. I'd follow the vets direction until this incident has passed and then switch him to a better quality canned grain free food with low ash and no fish.

My guy hasn't (knock on wood) had a problem in almost 5 years and I took him off that garbage after about a month. In fact, I came across an old can when I moved and tried to feed it to him. He was MOST offended and refused to eat it. ;) I guess he wanted real meat!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I agree with Mathias. I'd follow the vets direction until this incident has passed and then switch him to a better quality canned grain free food with low ash and no fish.
That sounds like a good compromise. Feed him the Prescription Diet c/d until he's healthy again and then you can look into the Weruva. Also, keep in mind you don't have to transition fully to raw. I feed my cats raw in the morning and canned Weruva at night since one of them can't digest raw before bedtime. My cats are very well hydrated and my male cat has had no urinary issues other than being extremely finicky. All I am saying is that if your hubby is uncomfortable with going fully raw, maybe you can compromise. There are also commercial raw diets which are more generically packaged and don't look like you are feeding raw meat...so there are several options to explore.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you're interested in raw, definitely do some research and ask a lot of questions. I'm learning so much, but I'm discovering that I've only touched the tip of the iceberg if you will. One of the most important things I've learned about raw is that the cats need taurine in their diet.

The info in the food/nutrition area and raw feeding sub forum here has been invaluable.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was asking my mom about our cat who had this issue. She said the vet put him on a low ash & low magnesium diet. Once we did, he never had any issues with it again. I hope your kitty is feeling better!

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hi PBN...I can't add to the good advice you've already received. I just popped in to say hello. I hope Allegro is feeling better soon. Congratulations on your promotion!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts