Cat Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
So just an update. They also would not eat the blue Buffalo wet so I ended up going back to a food they had way back Halo salmon and whitefish dry and they are still itching. I have no idea now if it’s because I stopped using the Vetericyn or it’s the salmon or whitefish ect.

im also wondering if it’s the cleaner I’m using, Better Life Natural all purpose cleaner, safe around kids & pets, Clark sage & citrus

I can always get CleanSmart Daily Cleaner which has hypoclorous acid which is the ingredient in Vetericyn topics

I dunno anymore if I should suck it up to see the vet and get allergy testing $352 (vet will prob want to do ringworm testing ($125 including exam fee) or pay more for Ziwi to truly try a protein and carb they have not tried before that would be Ziwi as dr elsey’s pork has salmon oil.
Ziwi lamb wet food is $48.24 for about 4 days and the dry would be $22 for 4 days

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Just to add if anyone is still following, a bald spot has appeared on the same spot def cuz he’s scratching a lot more

I think I may have figured it out. I was looking up the reviews for my Better Life cleaner and someone mentioned the ingredient methylisothiazolinone being a skin irritant it’s also in my Costco free and clear detergent and my
seventh generation free and clear dish soap!

I ordered new detergent and cleaner coming tomorrow so I really hope it does the trick

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for the update. Itching went down for mine when we switched to Instinct. I think it was probably the fish in their diet, BUT, I also have my eye on their litter. Maybe reactions to clumping agent? i will be interested to hear if you see a change with your new cleaner.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Thanks for the update. Itching went down for mine when we switched to Instinct. I think it was probably the fish in their diet, BUT, I also have my eye on their litter. Maybe reactions to clumping agent? i will be interested to hear if you see a change with your new cleaner.
It seemed to have progressed the past week as he’s now missing fur on his left eyebrow :( I’m still keeping with the new cleaners and rinsing their bowls with extra hot water
ETA I did also bathe them in case they had any remnants on them.

Funny that you mention that as I did just take away their pine pellet litter; I was suspecting that too based on some notes I had taken earlier. I have also started transitioning them to Ziwi lamb dry food as I think a common ingredient in the previous dry may have been peas? It’s pricey but the only truly novel protein/carb food I can feed to kittens.

Honestly I’ve been going back and forth on whether I should just take them to the vet or wait a week or two on the new food and now that I’ve taken away the pine litter. I’m also not sure if i should just apply the hypoclorous acid solution to calm the skin or it should clear up on its own once the allergen has been removed from the kitty (don’t want to mess up the elimination results). Then again I think the vet would have prescribed steroids first then tried an elimination after ruling out ringworm anyway? (I have sulfur Lyme dip as a last resort)
Ionno any thoughts would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
It is hard when there are so many things to consider. Our vet was not super helpful. She ruled out anemia (litter eating) and that was about it. I plan to shift to a more cat-centric vet, but my hope is we won’t have to go again until their regular check ups next winter.
My thought is to try one thing at a time and even then to give it a while because the changes could be subtle and delayed. That’s what I am running into now because I changed food and then changed litter and it got better and now a little worse. He was itching last night. Now I am frustrated that I did those two things at once. I think improvements must be more delayed than reactions, if that makes sense, because whatever it is has to work out of their system. Maybe someone else will chime in with some wisdom.
I am trying to keep them on one food, but my female, Lenni, is starting to boycott the Instinct. I want them on the same food, but I hate to switch them again! It’s funny you mentioned Ziwi Peak because I just got them the canned lamb. We must be on similar wavelengths! Not sure if I am going to use it though. Still gauging her interest in the other. It is expensive, so worst case I will donate it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
That's pretty funny because I was also thinking or hoping to try a new vet at their next annual. I also looked up cat vets at one point as my vet said all cats had the thinning by the eyebrows, but I know mine started filling in again when I put a topical Curaseb on it in the past. I also ran into the same issues of changing more than one thing at once but I don't know if it can be helped when you want to get the kitties feeling/getting better asap. That's exactly why I was thrown off in terms of food when they stopped eating the Taste of the wild turkey and lentils lol I guess they were boycotting too :LOL:
If you didn't want to use the Ziwi, I know there is also Koha limited ingredient diet cat foods but those are for adults only and they use flaxseed? They sell in smaller quantities if you wanted to trial them perhaps? This is probably what I will be using to reintroduce different proteins once they're old enough if I still haven't figured out any food allergies (they're currently 8 months old & I also try to feed my kitties the same food)

Yours is precious, by the way. Sweet looking kitty. What’s his name?

Twinsy photo...
Thank you! Oliver's his name, I first thought he was a she and named 'her' Cleo haha. Yours is so cute, too! I love grey cats. Russian blue or domestic short hair? Is that a normal amount of eyebrow fur for your kitty?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
So just an update.. not a great one.
My kitty Oliver was doing well on Ziwi dry lamb for a couple weeks and then I think I may have gotten a bad bag from Amazon as I've only ordered from Chewy before and this one some of the pieces looked like a lighter color?
He was lethargic, not eating as much and vomited. I fed him Blue Buffalo turkey wet and he was feeling better but also vomited a bit. He ate Halo Chicken and the Whitefish begrudgingly and also vomited.
-His itching was getting worse on the wet food and his eating so little was concerning so I had him see a new vet the day of (today).
-I couldn't get a stool sample but new vet does suspect parasites so I need to drop off one in the next day or so. He was given an injection of fluids and like an anti-nausea shot and gave me 2 cans of Purina EN Gastroenteric which is he is eating well ATM and I will order more in the meantime.
My husband finally weighed in and thinks we should go ahead with an allergy test if the test for parasites comes back negative as he might be allergic to something not food related, and for me the next step would be Koha wet rabbit food which is expensive but also Oliver hasn't been able to eat the same food for weeks on end which defeats the purpose of a novel protein diet. I actually am considering going back to the original vet for the allergy testing, go figure.

He's scratched himself bloody after the vet visit I feel so bad. I have some chamomile tea that I will use to soothe it as a tip I received in the meantime :T

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi Jellybeans, So sorry to hear that Oliver has been having a hard time. I meant to respond to your last post and time got away from me, but I am glad you posted another update on how he’s doing. I am just learning about cats myself, so I don’t know, but what if you tried taking him off of anything fish? Except a lot of foods contain salmon for the Omega 3s, but otherwise I wonder if he would respond to a no-fish diet. Chidi seemed to do better when we took him off of it. I hope you are able to find relief for Oliver. Poor baby with his itchy head.

You asked about Chidi’s eyebrow fur. He has grown more fur in since he was reacting to his food, but it is still a little more sparse than I believe is normal. We had them on Instinct, but they didn’t seem to like it much, so we just transitioned them back to Core Wellness kitten. Both are canned foods. It seems that they are just eating a little less now, probably because they are maturing. At least I hope that’s it. We may begin to reduce how much they get at lunch and eventually phase it out so they have two meals only. Their weight seems good, lean and long but not thin. They are almost 10 pounds! They will be 8 months at the end of April. (Not Russian Blues, but grey domestic short hairs.)

And by the way, Chidi seems to be doing much better, but he does still seem to have a low level itchiness - a little bit over his eye and on his belly. It’s so much better though and doesn’t look irritated like it did before. So, not perfection, but I think a reasonably good place to be.

Keep the updates coming!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks for the detailed response it definitely helps me as well! I knew the sparse eyebrow had something to do with the state of allergies so it’s reassuring to know it isn’t just me.

My kitties also seem to be eating less than they used to I also am contributing it to them being older with a stabilized weight of 10.8 pounds at around 8.75 months lol

The new vet thinks I should hold off on further diagnostic testing for allergies or starting a new novel protein diet until we can clear up the skin first. I picked up some Clorohexidine and Mupurocin and am trying to get an earlier appt for a anti worming medicine (didn’t get stool test results yet).

I had some Halo chicken wet food that they are thankfully both eating (they normally prefer fish over chicken). I do think I will use up the fish I have left to see how they do (I think Oliver may have reacted to peas in the dry food). I’m glad to hear Chidi is doing better! :) I will post an update if there are any changes!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Just a small update. Oliver has been doing much better two weeks on the topical meds and his coat is much shiner I think as we added Halo chicken wet food (we still do half Ziwi lamb dry). He was given an oral anti-worming medication couple of days ago by vet although the stool sample was negative for parasites. We were also given a 6 month supply of revolution plus which I applied the first dose

Vet also suggested I give an OTC allergy med twice a day for 2 weeks to rule out environmental allergies but the delivery is running late and I want to wait a bit to see if the new meds alone will do the trick.

She had also suggested if we have to do an elimination diet that non vet brands may have cross contamination due to shared factories but the brand she mentioned Royal Canin rabbit has peas which I suspected Oliver was reacting to prior. I did have the Koha rabbit wet I had panic ordered before which would be $15 to ship back so I may hang onto it if I need to try a food elimination trial again. He’s doing well on chicken now so we will see (he used to not like chicken as he preferred fish)

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
That’s a fluffy, happy head right there. So glad to hear he is doing better! Do you think it’s the meds or the food?
Chidi seems to be done with the itching. He has not shown any signs of discomfort lately. We discovered they don’t like the extra water I was adding to their canned food and that may have been why they weren’t finishing it. They are eating most of it now that I stopped that. Not sure if they are getting enough hydration, but that’s a worry for another day.
I can relate to the idea of panic ordering food. Anything that might help, right? I have spent a lot on panic ordering. I plan to donate what I can, along with the beds and toys they don’t want. Hopefully a cat rescue will be able to use them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Oliver is still itching a bit but I feel like it’s less than before. His coat is shiny I think from the good quality dry plus def the wet chicken. I really feel he may be a bit sensitive to peas but I can’t discount that he seems to be doing better on the meds so perhaps a mite of some sort?

My other cat Nico seems to be scratching more lately so I’m taking him in Monday. He also has a bit of darkening divets on his ear too gradually worsening over a few months that I’m gonna get checked out. There was also a little beetle thing that looked like a mouse dropping next to him on a windowsill I attached a photo of you’re not too grossed out! (Hope it’s nothing and just a beetle from outside)

I’m glad Chidi is all better now! So it was just the kitty litter he was allergic to you think? What are you using now? And do you have a cat fountain by chance? My other kitty didn’t seem to drink as much water but he def drinks more with a kitty fountain that we keep away from their food bowls

ETA good idea on the shelters! For now I can donate to my sister who is fostering some kittens hehe

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hmm, I wonder what the dark things on his ear are? Doesn’t look like ear mites because they are usually inside the ear. The beetle thing looks like just a beetle to me. Hopefully the vet thinks so, too.
I was mostly thinking that Chidi eating kitty litter was another symptom rather than a cause. But it was also possible it was unrelated and might be because an attractant was causing him to eat it, so I switched to non-clumping (for safety) while we were figuring it out. We used Tidy Cat non-clumping for a while, then shifted him to Tidy Cat clumping without a problem. Now I am testing what we used to use (I still have boxes of it), Dr. Elsey’s. Just started adding a little bit a couple days ago, so not sure yet.
As for the drinking, yes! we have tried fountains, bowls, cups, tap water, filtered water, with and without ice. They check it out, play with it, but don’t seem to actually drink. 🤔
Happy Saturday to you!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Yeah it was a slow gradual thing. I'm glad you can appreciate it in the photos it's quite subtle and more noticeable in person. I agree it does look like a beetle but I want to be extra sure-- I actually picked it up without my glasses so Nico wouldn't get to it and when I realized it was kinda moving I freaked the f out lol.

I actually really like Tidy cats clumping but have been sticking with the Cat's Pride due to the no dust. I'm glad you are able to transition to your usual litter!

Hmm that is strange. Not sure if you've noticed your cats self regulating their water intake? For example mine would def drink a lot more water when they were on dry food alone, as opposed to when they eat more wet they will drink less water accordingly. Maybe you can look into broth toppers if it continues to be a concern?

And thank you, Happy Saturday to you as well! :) Will hopefully be able to update with more answers soon!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
So another small update. Oliver has still been scratching a week on the OTC oral allergy meds. (You can see missing fur on his right ear). Next step would be a prescription hydrolyzed protein diet. I contacted my original vet whose allergy testing would be $345 but doesn’t include litters or peas which is something I would like to rule out allergies for. I’m not sure if I should try the online kits where you send a fur sample in as it does seem to have a much longer list of things they test for.

I would have to wait 6 weeks with no mediations for the allergy testing with the first vet so I may just do the prescription vet food with the new vet to see if it makes a difference.

also ETA the black on Nico’s ears (other cat) was apparently dirt?? That the vet was able to clean off. I’m thinking maybe from leaning against the window screens is all I can think of there

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
That’s a bummer that Oliver still has the itchies. The hydrolyzed protein diet seems like a good way to go. It can help to rule out (or in) a food related reaction. I am not familiar with allergy testing for a cat, but I read that it doesn’t always identify the culprit. May be a better as last resort. I hope the new diet makes a difference! Will it be canned or dry?

Remind Nico to wash behind his ears! 😆 It must have been a relief to hear that it was just dirt.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
That’s a bummer that Oliver still has the itchies. The hydrolyzed protein diet seems like a good way to go. It can help to rule out (or in) a food related reaction. I am not familiar with allergy testing for a cat, but I read that it doesn’t always identify the culprit. May be a better as last resort. I hope the new diet makes a difference! Will it be canned or dry?

Remind Nico to wash behind his ears! 😆 It must have been a relief to hear that it was just dirt.

I was deciding between the Hill's Z/D as it has a dry and wet version, but I think the Purina HA (dry only) may be more palatable? The Royal canin select protein (novel protein) has pea protein so that's a no go.

Speaking to my husband he does want us to do the allergy testing to find out if it’s a non food allergy and I am kinda leaning towards that as well. Maybe the prescription food after if necessary— the only reason why I’m not keen is that Oliver will stop eating after about 3 weeks on the same food which makes food trials difficult

Hahah it was slightly embarrassing but a relief to be sure. Nico is super healthy and super adorable according to the vet hehe

21 - 40 of 54 Posts