Cat Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
So just an update. They also would not eat the blue Buffalo wet so I ended up going back to a food they had way back Halo salmon and whitefish dry and they are still itching. I have no idea now if it’s because I stopped using the Vetericyn or it’s the salmon or whitefish ect.

im also wondering if it’s the cleaner I’m using, Better Life Natural all purpose cleaner, safe around kids & pets, Clark sage & citrus

I can always get CleanSmart Daily Cleaner which has hypoclorous acid which is the ingredient in Vetericyn topics

I dunno anymore if I should suck it up to see the vet and get allergy testing $352 (vet will prob want to do ringworm testing ($125 including exam fee) or pay more for Ziwi to truly try a protein and carb they have not tried before that would be Ziwi as dr elsey’s pork has salmon oil.
Ziwi lamb wet food is $48.24 for about 4 days and the dry would be $22 for 4 days

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Just to add if anyone is still following, a bald spot has appeared on the same spot def cuz he’s scratching a lot more

I think I may have figured it out. I was looking up the reviews for my Better Life cleaner and someone mentioned the ingredient methylisothiazolinone being a skin irritant it’s also in my Costco free and clear detergent and my
seventh generation free and clear dish soap!

I ordered new detergent and cleaner coming tomorrow so I really hope it does the trick

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the update. Itching went down for mine when we switched to Instinct. I think it was probably the fish in their diet, BUT, I also have my eye on their litter. Maybe reactions to clumping agent? i will be interested to hear if you see a change with your new cleaner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Thanks for the update. Itching went down for mine when we switched to Instinct. I think it was probably the fish in their diet, BUT, I also have my eye on their litter. Maybe reactions to clumping agent? i will be interested to hear if you see a change with your new cleaner.

It seemed to have progressed the past week as he’s now missing fur on his left eyebrow :( I’m still keeping with the new cleaners and rinsing their bowls with extra hot water
ETA I did also bathe them in case they had any remnants on them.

Funny that you mention that as I did just take away their pine pellet litter; I was suspecting that too based on some notes I had taken earlier. I have also started transitioning them to Ziwi lamb dry food as I think a common ingredient in the previous dry may have been peas? It’s pricey but the only truly novel protein/carb food I can feed to kittens.

Honestly I’ve been going back and forth on whether I should just take them to the vet or wait a week or two on the new food and now that I’ve taken away the pine litter. I’m also not sure if i should just apply the hypoclorous acid solution to calm the skin or it should clear up on its own once the allergen has been removed from the kitty (don’t want to mess up the elimination results). Then again I think the vet would have prescribed steroids first then tried an elimination after ruling out ringworm anyway? (I have sulfur Lyme dip as a last resort)
Ionno any thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
68 Posts
It is hard when there are so many things to consider. Our vet was not super helpful. She ruled out anemia (litter eating) and that was about it. I plan to shift to a more cat-centric vet, but my hope is we won’t have to go again until their regular check ups next winter.
My thought is to try one thing at a time and even then to give it a while because the changes could be subtle and delayed. That’s what I am running into now because I changed food and then changed litter and it got better and now a little worse. He was itching last night. Now I am frustrated that I did those two things at once. I think improvements must be more delayed than reactions, if that makes sense, because whatever it is has to work out of their system. Maybe someone else will chime in with some wisdom.
I am trying to keep them on one food, but my female, Lenni, is starting to boycott the Instinct. I want them on the same food, but I hate to switch them again! It’s funny you mentioned Ziwi Peak because I just got them the canned lamb. We must be on similar wavelengths! Not sure if I am going to use it though. Still gauging her interest in the other. It is expensive, so worst case I will donate it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
That's pretty funny because I was also thinking or hoping to try a new vet at their next annual. I also looked up cat vets at one point as my vet said all cats had the thinning by the eyebrows, but I know mine started filling in again when I put a topical Curaseb on it in the past. I also ran into the same issues of changing more than one thing at once but I don't know if it can be helped when you want to get the kitties feeling/getting better asap. That's exactly why I was thrown off in terms of food when they stopped eating the Taste of the wild turkey and lentils lol I guess they were boycotting too :LOL:
If you didn't want to use the Ziwi, I know there is also Koha limited ingredient diet cat foods but those are for adults only and they use flaxseed? They sell in smaller quantities if you wanted to trial them perhaps? This is probably what I will be using to reintroduce different proteins once they're old enough if I still haven't figured out any food allergies (they're currently 8 months old & I also try to feed my kitties the same food)

Yours is precious, by the way. Sweet looking kitty. What’s his name?

Twinsy photo...
Thank you! Oliver's his name, I first thought he was a she and named 'her' Cleo haha. Yours is so cute, too! I love grey cats. Russian blue or domestic short hair? Is that a normal amount of eyebrow fur for your kitty?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts