Cat Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Three weeks may be enough time to see a difference in his scratching. I tried searching for comparisons or reviews of the foods you listed, but didn’t find anything other than more general articles.
Here are two you might find interesting:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
These look great, thank you! Will give it a read over and consider doing the food trial first. The new vet does have allergy testing for $410 but it’s a lot more comprehensive than my previous vet at $345 so may be a better option

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not sure if you have had enough time, but have you noticed any improvements with the new diet?
Recently, I think Chidi may be a little itchier than usual, but nothing too concerning. He may be just a sensitive kitty. Keeping an eye on him.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Honestly I can’t tell if he’s scratching less or the same. He did get a bloody spot on his eyebrow so wasn’t sure if it’s just because he overscratched in the same area. I applied the topicals I had from the vet earlier and it’s looking better and just ordered a cone in case his scratching gets worse.

He is eating the z/d wet and also some dry because he may have thrown up out of stress wanting his old Ziwi dry food :/

I did schedule for allergy testing for $410 really for peace of mind as it does include environmental and food allergies (I know the food isn’t super reliable) plus the z/d wet is so thick we need to constantly mash it out with a fork. I honestly wanted to get this done much sooner but feel like I kept getting so much pushback. I’m scheduled for another vet at the same practice so I hope i actually see her instead of trying to go to another place and starting all over.

Do you think Chidi’s itching is coinciding with the hotter weather or possibly seasonal allergies? Nico is scratching more too I think or I’m just being paranoid

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
They are so sensitive to change! I had no idea, seems that any little thing can throw them off. Hopefully Oliver is on his way to getting used to the z/d.

Sounds like you are feeling settled with the testing decision and I am glad for you. At the very least it should provide some information and hopefully it will give you answers! I really hope it goes well. What’s involved?

Do you think Chidi’s itching is coinciding with the hotter weather or possibly seasonal allergies? Nico is scratching more too I think or I’m just being paranoid
Maybe seasonal issues, but not sure what? We have been through the worst of spring pollen. I looked at a couple of old posts and remembered that I had some question in my mind about a possible reaction to litter. I am in the process of changing from Tidy Cat clumping to Dr. Elsey’s, so that will be something to watch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)
Each time I think maybe it’s not necessary I’ll notice another skin issue. I don’t know what happened here perhaps he scratched hard to expose some skin? Like predicted my cats won’t eat the wet z/d anymore in favor of the dry version which I do not like at all. It’s like crack for kitties -.-
It’s a blood test and they said fasting is not necessary but the previous vet suggested it so that’s what I will do just in case (scheduled Monday).
The first vet said if he had allergens that can’t be avoided it would be treatment or oral meds or injections with trace amounts of the allergens to build up an immunity which has to be repeated so hopefully won’t need to go that far.

Let me know please how Chidi does with the new litter. I did wonder if it may be the clay litter but I’ve tried pine pellets and not sure what else to try that they would use and not unknowingly cause a reaction :/

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Chidi had a little bald spot like Oliver does! Same place between his shoulder blades. It was about the size of a pencil eraser and he started a second one as well. I never actually saw him do it though. It did go away but no idea what caused it or what helped it. Maybe the change in food? Really an unknown.

I will be very interested in what you find with the test. If they’re only taking blood it won’t be too invasive or anything like that. Sounds like you are making a good decision. It’s more info to work with. I’ll be thinking about Oliver on Monday and hope he barely notices. 🐱

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Hmm interesting 🤔 I did email the vet and ask if I should be using a topical on it or not. I feel like it could the dry food? This vet had said that a majority of allergies are from dry food and when I brought it up she said she’s never said that .. I do have the testing scheduled with another vet there so hope it might be a better match. I will def update when I get the results

Thank you! Thankfully Oliver is a tough cookie, I don’t think Nico would have been faring as well :T

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
Any results yet?
I was just going to say no, but I just got an email from the vet lol

Past couple of days I was thinking hmm I don’t think I’d seen Oliver itching as much and that the back of his ears seemed less rough.

It turns out he has NO environmental allergies! He did come back a bit positive on PEAS (I knew it), and surprisingly turkey and pork. I remember the earthborn had a lot of peas and Turkey? When I first started a limited ingredient diet on my own it was Taste of the wild Turkey and lentils but I think I was applying topicals at that point.

So good news is no allergy meds for him (looks like more of a sensitivity to) but will continue with the RX foods and will ask vet how to do the reintroduction of select foods!

How’s Chidi doing now??

·
Registered
106 Posts
That’s brilliant! Such better information than I expected them to give you. And who would have thought peas? You! Now that you know this, couldn’t you go back to any food that doesn’t have those ingredients? Is there a benefit to keeping him on the rx and/or limited ingredient diet? Hopefully this will make a big difference for Oliver. Yay kitty!
Chidi has been doing much better overall, but did start working on a little spot next to his eye for a few days. Seems to be healing now. I was trying to shift them onto one dry meal and used Blue Wilderness - maybe I will check it for peas. 😉

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 · (Edited)
You know it's funny, back when I started on Chewy browsing for grain free food I saw that there was a search option for pea-free and I thought it odd. Once I went through the possible culprits, I saw that peas was a big ingredient in the Earthborn Holistic dry (around the time itching/bleeding got worse), and when I had given Oliver the Natural Instinct limited ingredient chicken and peas he was scratching a lot so I wasn't sure if it was the chicken or peas-- he wasn't too bad on the Halo chicken wet so I knew he prob wasn't too reactive to the chicken..

Turkey, I never would have guessed though. I'm glad to know there is no environmental allergies though as I would've been paranoid not knowing and I believe that might warrant some allergy treatment.

I think I'll be keeping him on the RX food for now as his itching seems to have gotten better I feel like more recently so think the RX food may be working. I don't know if it's cuz it really took that long for past allergens to work its way out (Last ingredient he has was pork in Dr elsey's dry food early April)? But to be on the safe side I'd like for his fur to completely grow in and then try switching him from the z/d wet to Koha wet limited ingredient foods to test out what proteins he can eat. May have to keep him on the z/d dry in the meantime (makes me sad I think it's like crack for my cats =/ )

ETA the reason I followed the vet's recommendation on doing the RX food is because apparently they make sure to clean the machines so there is no cross contamination with other foods and ingredients?

Yeah def watch out for peas! Who knew it was such a common allergen? I was told chicken, fish or beef and Oliver tested negative for those, go figure!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Okay, well, I checked the ingredients on the Blue Buffalo Wilderness and guess what the third ingredient is? Pea protein! And I just gave them some as a treat. It’s going in the garbage and I’ll find a pea-free dry instead. You may have just helped an extra kitty!
It will be nice if Oliver is less itchy. I really hope this works for him, and gives you peace of mind.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
Okay, well, I checked the ingredients on the Blue Buffalo Wilderness and guess what the third ingredient is? Pea protein! And I just gave them some as a treat. It’s going in the garbage and I’ll find a pea-free dry instead. You may have just helped an extra kitty!
It will be nice if Oliver is less itchy. I really hope this works for him, and gives you peace of mind.
Those peas are definitely an insidious ingredient— they were in several vet rx foods as well! (Royal canin one I believe).

Thank you, I really hope that does the trick for your Chidi as well, please keep me posted~ Oliver will be on the z/d for at least several weeks so I will update if there’s any changes to report :)

41 - 54 of 54 Posts