Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morse has started to shed. I think it came because I switched his food from Natural Balance LID to Taste of the Wild. Either that or because we moved from snowy, cold Truckee (where we keep the house at 60 degrees) to sunny, warm San Diego (68-70 degrees). Either way, I am switching him back slowly.

However, my allergies have gotten TERRIBLE lately. I've never had a cat that slept in my bed before, so I think it may have something to do with his hair. He used to sleep near my feet on his kitty blanket, but recently has decided he needs to sleep in my armpit. I'm thinking I may have to reinforce the sleeping on my feet rule (he usually abides if I move him back there). I'm also planning on allergy meds for me, and trying to get all the hair off my bedding. For some reason it still stays when I wash it. I can bathe and brush kitty too, does anyone else have any suggestions to make me more comfortable?

*Disclaimer - there is NO chance of me rehoming him. I made a commitment to be his forever home, and I will honor that commitment. He's just too cute to go to someone else anyhow. I also have tried to get him off the kibble. He won't eat wet food. He won't eat kibble that has touched wet food. I've tried all different brands, and enlisted the veterinarian for help. We came to the conclusion that I will have to put water in his kibble (he will drink the leftover kibble "soup"), and I'm going to try to supplement with Salmon oil to help his skin/coat to get back to where it needs to be.

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
If you never had cat allergies before, I would be more suspicious that there is something in your new environment causing your allergy than your cat. Lots of new plant life in SD that you weren't exposed to in Truckee. Or maybe a combo of both...

His shedding may be a result of the temperature change and nothing to do with the food (TOW is a better food than NB LID BTW).

·
Registered
273 Posts
i agree with doodlebug, it is likely that it is not solely your cat.

before you use any meds try honey. if it is the local flora, honey, along with lots of water will do the trick. just be absolutely certain to use local honey or you will see no improvement.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
allergies due to new climate?

yeah, allergies are weird. i grew up in NH and never even knew what an allergy was. then i moved to seattle when i was in my 20's and the first few years were ridiculous. it was all the pollen in the air from a myriad of local plants. i was miserable and stuffed up with itchy eyes and runny nose and everything all spring. i went thru tons of kleenix and lived on drixoral (when it was still legal). and what d'ya know? it's spring and you're experiencing horrible allergies. so i think it's a good possibility at least that you're allergic more to the local plant species rather than your kitty. at least i hope that's the case. and if you do discover it is the pollen, don't despair either. my allergy was bad for the first few springs, but then it just totally went away for nearly 20 years. but for some reason it hit me hard again this year, but only for a few days when the pollen was really bad.

the salmon oil sounds like a good idea, anyway, though, to cut down on the dander. couldn't hurt, huh? other than that, what i do EVERY day is take a lint brush to my blankets to remove as much of Angel's hair as possible. she loves to sit right by my face at night so the hair is RIGHT there. i've also used the lint rollers with the sticky tape. then once a week i do try to use the attachment on the vacuum to get off the stubborn stuff. i know the dryer doesn't do the job for me either.

i suppose you could try to brush him more, too, to reduce the actual shedding for a while. good luck. keep lots of kleenix handy! and i'm so glad to hear how committed you are to keeping him even if he is making you miserable. you're the best! :wink

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Lint Rollers for the bedding...tons of them. There are a few other one that ppl have already mentioned like getting a high quality air filter, brushing your cat more frequently. You can also try running a damp towel over cat to cut down on the allergens too. If worse comes to worse, then you might need to take medication or get allergy shots.

The good news is that often, even if you're allergic to cats, you can get used to your particular cat thru sheer overexposure over time. I'm very allergic to cats. I'll start sneezing non-stop and my nose will run, my eyes will tear and swell shut, my skin will turn red and itchy if the cat rubs on me. However, I have little to no reaction with my two. The most is if Miu rubs on me too much, my skin will get a bit red and itchy but nothing serious.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good(ish) News!

Good and bad news. When I woke up this morning, my eyes were swelled shut and I could barely open them. I called my allergist, who referred me to one down here. I expressed my feeling that it may be Morse and he said it was unlikely to be so, although with my immune system being in hyper drive the cat hair probably wasn't helping. Just to be sure he did a intradermal (?) allergy test for cat which came back negative.

I am seriously allergic to peanuts (I've known this forever) and he seems to think I've been exposed to a mild amount of peanut protein over the course of a few days, barely any but enough to swell up my face. After Singulair, short course of steriods, and allergy eye drops I should be back to tearing up the neighborhood in no time. So glad it's not Morse-man.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Phew!

That's awesome news! Well, not awesome you have the mm. allergy. But awesome that it's not Morse! What a relief. It's like when they realized Jan Brady was allergic to tigers flea powder and NOT Tiger. Wow. Thank goodness for that! ;-)

·
Registered
415 Posts
Good to hear it's probably not your kitty. My allergies have been in overdrive for the last few days, I have this problem every spring and fall.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Maybe you could think about getting an air filter? Webought Rainbow about 1 month after we got Milky. The month before that, Milky's hairs were flying all over the apartment, literally just floating around in mid-air. Since we've had Rainbow, we switch it on to filter mode every day and it really is useful. We've noticed that there's almost no hairs floating about, and any hairs that do land on our furniture has noticably lessened.

It's expensive, so maybe you don't have to buy this brand, maybe there are other brands out there. I haven't tried other brands, but I know this brand works wonders. Even when I use the different attachments to it, I can see the difference it makes compared to a normal vacuum cleaner. It really takes away every hair from our fabric sofa (it's normally difficult to remove hairs that have magically woven themselves into the fabrics).

Anyway, hope that helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have cat allergies as well. However, from my understanding, it's the cat dander, not the hair that causes the allergies. Your kitty might have drier skin than normal right now, and that's what's causing your allergies to flare up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts