Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone take anything for their allergies? Mine are HORRIBLE all of a sudden. I bought some generic form of Claritin tonight. It says to not take more than one in 24 hours so I won't start taking it until tomorrow morning (that's when they are worse). Just wondering if it makes you loopy or if it actually helps...

·
Registered
878 Posts
I take Claritin D at night (if I need it) and I sleep soundly (which is unusual for me) and am fine all the next day. It does help, though sometimes I get a *little* loopy. Since my brain shuts off on bad allergy days, I kind of consider loopy an improvement over brain-dead.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Right now is a horrible time for me - the trees and grasses are both producing pollen. And I still haven't figured out why God made cottonwood trees.
I have 27 different things that I have tested positive for - so it is usually year round for me. I have tried all of the meds out there at some point. Allergy shots don't touch my sinus issues.
Right now the doctor has me on antibiotics, prednisone (last day 8O ),
Tussinex for sleep :D , sudafed and musinex to replace the prescription version, nasal sprays and my asthma meds. They take up half of the mantle.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Mom of 4 said:
Right now the doctor has me on antibiotics, prednisone (last day 8O ),
Tussinex for sleep :D , sudafed and musinex to replace the prescription version, nasal sprays and my asthma meds. They take up half of the mantle.
Mucinex rocks my world on super-bad allergy days. Ya rly.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
oh allergies...*sigh* I never used to have them until a few years ago, now they're year round, especially seeing as I'm allergic to all that can cause hay fever, and cats.

I was taking loratatine just about every day for quite a while, but its not nearly as effective as the generic Zyrtec I just recently switched to. Their patent must have run out recently, as I just noticed the generic form of Zyrtec has appeared on the shelves. For me, it runs about $5-$7 for 45 pills of the Top Care brand, a little more expensive than generic claritin which I can get for $3 for 60 pills. I also have prescription Advair for my allergy induced asthma (which seriously works like a DREAM!)
I will also take Diphenhydramine (benadryl, also the active ingredient in many sleeping pills) at night when my allergies are bad and to help me sleep.

The Claritin and Zyrtec don't usually make me loopy or spacey (or maybe I've been taking them long enough that its now just normal for me, lol)

·
Banned
5,531 Posts
I'm sneezing like crazy at the moment. Tobys shedding his winter coat and don't I know it.

Darn cat allergies! :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice everyone! I went and bought loratadine at the store and plan to take my first one when I get to work this morning.

Mely, I hear ya about those fur coats being shed! I keep finding clumps of fur in my house, you'd think there was a cat fight or something!

·
Registered
159 Posts
I was just thinking about posting somthing on this as I've just sneezed 16 times in a row. I look like I have pink eye and I'm crying. Lol. I think I'm going to get started on the Zyrtec....

·
Registered
374 Posts
Suggestion -- and I know a couple of people have said this ... take it at night before bed. That way, you won't get drowsy from the effect of the antihistamine. It takes about a week to become fully effective, but it does work. I've taken Clarinex & Singulair for about five years now and they both work like a charm.

good luck!

·
Registered
515 Posts
When my allergies start to act up on me, I take something called
Novophenaram. I don't know if it is available in the US or not, but,
here in Ontario Canada, it is available from the pharmacy counter.
It always works for me, and it does not make me dopey or drowsy.

·
Banned
12,194 Posts
jazznmisha said:
It takes about a week to become fully effective, but it does work.
Hmmmm....I didn't know that. I was about to post that Claritin has never done much for me. But I've never waited that long, just taking it on an as-needed basis. I guess I just wasn't taking it properly.

·
Super Moderator
8,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm on my second day of it and can already tell a difference. I don't sneeze near as much. My eyes are still watering like a faucet on full blast but maybe that takes time fix too.

So, if I have a headache, is it safe to take some IB Profen along with having this Clariten in my system?

·
Banned
12,194 Posts
Not only do people metabolize drugs at different rates based on their own personal body chemistry, but people of different ages and different weights and even different genders will clear at different rates. I've always thought it pretty ridiculous to push pills OTC without giving some directions for titrating the dose at least based on body weight (the biggest factor) and perhaps age as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts