Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I woke up this morning and the sun was streaming through the window - definitely a good day for a walk up Arthur's Seat. It's only about 5 mins walk from my flat and gives some of the best views of the city and the surrounding countryside :)

Holyrood Palace - the Queen's residence in Edinburgh (at bottom of Arthur's Seat) - Calton Hill in the background

Summit of Arthur's Seat from a distance

And close up!

St Anthony's Chapel - 15th Century ruin (black clouds looming!!)

The sea with Fife in the distance

View of the city (Edinburgh Castle in the centre of the picture)

The Crags

Hope there's not too many pictures here - it's just such a beautiful city and I wanted to share :D

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Beautiful, I really must get to Scotland one day!

Spring down here in the s/w too, I live near Glastonbury so will try and get some pics next time I'm down there :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be great :D I've only been to Glastonbury once and then I pretty much only saw a big field with lots of tents :wink: Luckily wasn't one of the muddy years tho!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Sigh! I wish I could see it in person. My mother talked about the "floory clock" 'neath the castle on the rock! And we had a model of Holyrood castle displayed on our mantle. I understand that there are two parts to Edinburgh, the old city and the new city. On that program, the narrator mentioned Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and the connection between the two personalities and the two parts of the city. What a fascinating city!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow Jeanie - how interesting! I'd never thought of the comparison. J&H has a high profile in Edinburgh since it was the birthplace of Robert Louis Stevenson.

I did a quick search and this article from the guardian came up:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/de ... -stevenson

The key quote being:

The most popular allegorical reading in our own day suggests that, although the action is set in Soho, the atmosphere is really that of Edinburgh, capital of Scotland and RLS's birthplace. In this view, the moral focus of the story is the Scottish character, burdened by dual nationality (Scottish and British), caught between two tongues (Scots and English), its instinctive spontaneity repressed by a Calvinistic church - the very church that once came between Stevenson and his father, and caused a split in the family. Edinburgh is a city starkly divided into two: the foggy old town up on the hill, once the site of colourful crimes such as bodysnatching and of public hangings in the Grassmarket; and the splendid New Town to the north, on the other side of the then newly laid railway tracks.
Very interesting! Was your mother from Edinburgh originally?

Leazie - yes Arthur's Seat is one of the most popular walks in Edinburgh and it's pretty packed on most sunny days :)

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
My mother and brother and sister were born in Glasgow, but Mom visited Edinburgh often. As much as my parents loved the US, they never lost their yearning for "home." (Daddy was from England, but met my mother when stationed in Scotland.) We always went to the Highland Games, still go often, but I don't hear the Scottish accents as I used to. I picked it up as a child, and love to speak it with Scottish people. :)

The clans are strong enough to have the pipes and drum bands and dance competitions, and many people took their collies to the Games. And there is quite a variety of traditional Scottish foods. You can order a kilt, but the prices are really high! A few years ago, I took the girls to a Robby Burns anniversary dinner....steak and kidney pie, MMMMMMMMM! And the pipers piped in the haggis, but we politely declined it. :lol:

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
Everything looks like it is greening-up! My daffodils and narcissus are coming up. I haven't noticed the tulips yet...and I don't think my crocus came up at all....I wonder if the outside cats killed them? My daylillies tried to come up early, but then we got a cold snap and they died back. Maple tree already has buds...
h

A costume I made for a Halloween party. I wish it hadn't been so dark, I would have loved to take the pics out in the woods and not in our friend's house.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great outfit :D V impressive that you made it yourself :worship

It definitely feels like spring outside but am fairly sure we have some more winter to hit us before spring really starts!

Jeanie - I'm originally from Cambridge (therefore v boring RP English accent!) but moved here for university when I was 18 (8.5 years ago) and never left. My stepdad's from here so he has a fairly standard Edinburgh accent. My boyfriend's from Aberdeen and his accent is definitely different :lol:

I LOVE haggis in spite of generally not being a fan of foods which involve offal :wink: In fact I've never even tried steak and kidney pie!! Haggis is delicious and just tastes like spicey mince but better...though best if you don't think about what it contains. Vegetarian haggis is usually a fairly good imitation though.

I go through to Glasgow about once a week with work (it's only 50 mins on the train) but I really don't know it very well - only the city centre. I should definitely try to remedy that soon!

You should definitely try to visit Scotland if you're able - sounds like you'd really love it!

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Lily, my girls thought the steak and kidney pie would be awful, but they loved it! It's so good with mashed potatoes! The more kidney the better for me, but for a "first time taster," lots of steak and a bit of kidney might be better.

My father is from Devon, near Exeter, but he didn't like the accent, so he dropped it. He didn't come here until he was in his thirties, but he sounded like an American...except that he pronounced the "h" in herbs and honor. My cousins from Devon have visited a couple of times, and the men were a bit hard to understand. We had a great time, though! And everyone enjoyed hearing them speak. :) The children thought I had quite an accent! :)

I'd love to visit, but flying over the ocean is too frightening for me. Maybe I should stowaway on the QEll! :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts