Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The kittens will be four weeks old on Wednesday, and are growing by leaps and bounds; they never cease to amaze me. I've noticed that when they meow, they have these pointy little teeth poking through the gums, quite big. Scully has cut back feeding them to only two or three times a day (I can't imagine it's too comfortable). I don't want to rush weaning them, but when should I start offering canned food? So many websites have such different information, I figured I'd ask here.

Should I mix in water, to make it more palatable? How do I serve it, just put a dish in the nest? I'm a total newbie to all this, as you all know, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
I used felix kitten pouches in jelly.
They are small chunks of meat in the jelly which was great, but I also cut it all up with a knife too.
I just left it down on the floor, they started to explore eating it slowly. I didnt mix it with water and I had no problems

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I have Wellness, Innova and Felidae that I am feeding to Scully, and I'd like to start the kittens on the same thing. The foods are a little bit more solid though, so I didn't know if they needed to be softened with water. Then maybe when they were older and could chew better, I thought I'd give them a little raw food as an extra.

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I was very lucky to find it around us, because we have very few good pet stores. I think the people in Blue Seal thought I lost my mind, because I almost did a happy dance when I found Felidae there. :roll:

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, when do I need to start providing them with a water dish? I'm thinking of getting a pet fountain for Scully, will they just learn to use that? Or should I use a smaller, shallower dish just for them?

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
I used a shallow water dish (kitten dish to be presice) they do have a habit of falling into it, walking in it etc etc

(I promise im not following you around here LOL)

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, that's alright :) I really need the help. It's amazing how these little creatures can make me feel so incompetant :roll:

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's always good to start them on canned food at 3 weeks. I know this sounds too soon, but trust me, it isn't. It takes them a day or two to get the hint. And at 4 weeks they should be eating, drinking, and on the nipple, but on the nipple less and less. If they stay on the nipple (*and nothing else) too long, the mother could get very stressed and they drink so much it drains all of her nutrition to feed them. Hope this helps. I trained my kittens to lap up water with a wet ice cube. It teaches them how to lick, gradually put water around the ice cube, they will get the hint. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts