Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We too have an introduction going on, have had a (prior feral) in our home for 7 years named Shadow, she's very bonded to us. A stray (named Bibs) has captured my husband's heart, and knowing he wouldn't live long (traffic area), we've vet checked him and taken him in. He's in my husband's room, we kept the door closed for a few days and now have a screen that we put up during the day. We have fed them on opposite sides of the screen several times without drama.
3 or 4 times we've had brief hissing/growling, staring contests. . .I haven't seen any slow blinking yet. Bibs has interacted well with some other ferals in the area and seems pretty laid back. Shadow is very timid and can be defensive, out of fear I think. We tried to adopt a young male years ago and gave up on that one, it almost worked but he found he could bully Shadow, chased her while she screamed so we gave up for her sake. I think it's because the other cat was an energetic teenager.
I think Bibs will be a better match for Shadow -- Mostly she ignores Bibs, which might be better than constant drama.
Are we doing the right thing with the screen? Should we proceed to swapping territories? And, should I hang out with them while they are checking each other, or would that add to any tensions? Not sure if my presence helps or not.

Thanks for any advice, I did check Jackson Galaxy but so far can't get beyond step 2. And I'm sure there are other ways as well. :)

Jan

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Mixing the cats' scents can speed up the process usually. Take a clean cloth and rub it all over the scent glands on either side of the muzzle of one cat (Shadow first) and then rub it on the head of Bibs Can do the same with under the tail and rub on other's back. If they each have a blanket/towel/cushion they customarily like to sleep on, switch those back and forth between them as well every few days. It's best to go slow and not rush the intro. All the best!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I think we'll be in the screen stage for awhile -- heard some hissing/growling from Shadow this morning, and Bibs was just making little mews. I think he'll win her over eventually. I'm thankful they weren't both displaying aggression. She's an insecure kitty, we had her indoors for months before we could touch her. Now she's a lap kitty, but very fearful.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
sigh. This is turning out to be a long haul, due to Shadow the resident cat. She has rushed at Bibs, hissing and growling, a swat or two but no contact made, if he backs off she stops.
So far, to try to get her to at least tolerate Bibs, I have some plexiglass set up between them and bowls of food on both sides. She'll eat and occasionally start to give Bibs the stink eye, if I speak to her she stops. She's complaining about being restrained in an area though, and Bibs is understandably skittish. He hasn't once offered to growl or hiss so at least he doesn't want to fight back.
It's been 2 1/2 weeks , part of me just wants to let them work it out. . .I'm climbing over barricades, etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a few weeks on. . .things are gradually working out, with a few hisses still. Shadow actually grumbles from time to time, and bless him, Bibs is submissive but very persistent. I've caught them sleeping on my bed within a foot or two of each other, so at times she's at least tolerating him. They have "discussions", I should try to catch that on video and see if someone can translate! He has tiny mews and chirps, and she has short raspy mups and barks. Would love to know what they're saying!
Honestly it seemed to get better once the barricades were removed (Shadow figured how to jump over so I just gave up on the plexiglass).

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Congrats, things are progressing well!......doesn't hurt to give them all a treat from time to time when you see them all together on the bed or somewhere else, and praise them with words like " good kitties!" You could also play with them with a wand toy (such as "Da Bird"), flicking it around from one to the other, or dragging it across the floor in a zig zag manner so they can pounce on it. Being together and associating it with treats and/or play, will go a long way to having the cats be "friends". All the best!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts