Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for a good alternative interactive cat toy to Da Bird? One that lasts longer/is better made?

My kitten loves Da Bird and we play with it for about an hour or more each day. Problem is, he's super excited when it's a "new bird" i.e., new refill but his excitement wanes when the bird gets more and more mangled. lol.

HOWEVER, I do think that it's not so much a "new toy excitement" thing as he plays with his other old toys with gusto, but the refill kinda gets all broken up (feathers, etc) by the 3rd time we play it. It seems quite poorly made. I've been changing out the refill about 1-2x a week and it's getting costly!

Is the Cat Flyer better made? I also ordered Neko Flies from Chewy and they should arrive by next week. Anyone has experience with Neko Flies?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Wow, he must be really rough. I've had one for a while and my cats haven't destroyed it. I have a Neko too (the fox one, I think it's called), and they really like it. It does seem a bit sturdier (no feathers to destroy) too.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I've got a Neko Fly I forget the name but it was a real long lol (helpful, I know) it's a bright pink and black bug looking thing with really wiggly legs. My cats love it, but they love all that kind of stuff.

We don't have DaBird over here, we have Flying Frenzy and the lady that makes them does a really REALLY good job.

Also, I miraculously (and I truly mean just that) got the point across to them that if they keep hold of it and rip it up, then we have nothing to play with. It took a couple of refills for them to "get it" but now (bless their little heart) they do. It's hard for them sometimes when you can see them just trying their hardest to fight the instinct to grab and tear or bunny kick it, but, they will because they would much rather play then sit around bored with nothing to do.

No, I don't think I have genius level cats or anything like that, I just showed them the broken pieces and that it didn't work. When I would get a refill I also would tell them to "let go" when they really got ahold of it. It took a few times, but they get it after a while. Now I have had the same 5 refills for the past 6 months. I can buy different things like the little fur mice which they LOVE and the ribbon refill for Belle who loves that kind of thing.

Cats aren't like dogs but they aren't stupid either! They can be taught some things. It just takes a little patience.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, he must be really rough. I've had one for a while and my cats haven't destroyed it. I have a Neko too (the fox one, I think it's called), and they really like it. It does seem a bit sturdier (no feathers to destroy) too.
yeah, I think it's cos he gets very proud and happy when he catches his "prey" (and I try very hard so that he catches maybe 1 in 5 tries only) that he scampers off with it to chomp and "eat" it. lol. Hope the Neko Flies work better for us!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a Neko Fly I forget the name but it was a real long lol (helpful, I know) it's a bright pink and black bug looking thing with really wiggly legs. My cats love it, but they love all that kind of stuff.

We don't have DaBird over here, we have Flying Frenzy and the lady that makes them does a really REALLY good job.

Also, I miraculously (and I truly mean just that) got the point across to them that if they keep hold of it and rip it up, then we have nothing to play with. It took a couple of refills for them to "get it" but now (bless their little heart) they do. It's hard for them sometimes when you can see them just trying their hardest to fight the instinct to grab and tear or bunny kick it, but, they will because they would much rather play then sit around bored with nothing to do.

No, I don't think I have genius level cats or anything like that, I just showed them the broken pieces and that it didn't work. When I would get a refill I also would tell them to "let go" when they really got ahold of it. It took a few times, but they get it after a while. Now I have had the same 5 refills for the past 6 months. I can buy different things like the little fur mice which they LOVE and the ribbon refill for Belle who loves that kind of thing.

Cats aren't like dogs but they aren't stupid either! They can be taught some things. It just takes a little patience.
Thanks for you response!

What is Flying Frenzy? Is it something I can buy online or is it something you buy at a local store in your area?

I'm going to teach my kitten "let go" and see if it works, as well as to show him how a broken bird can't fly/play. hehe. I think he'll get it after a while, so far he managed to learn "down", "out", "sit", "stay" and his name. You're right! cats are NOT stupid! They just want us to work harder for them haha!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I don't know if she sells them over Amazon for the US market or not. You can try a search on Amazon for Flying Frenzy and see?
If not then I guess she is strictly selling in the UK only.
Also try ebay. I know she sells on ebay too but I just don't know if she does UK only or US also.

LOL that's right, they learn in THEIR time, not ours lol. Just give a little tug on the feathers when you're saying "let go" and if that still doesn't work, while you're still saying "let go" reach down gently with your hand and take it away. Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
lol...I taught ET "let go" too, but he will let go only when I stop pulling, not when I tug. I bought all the refills for neko flies but have only used 2 of them. ET loved it too, but I hardly use it cos I have trouble waving it, abit more strenuous and ET almost always manage to catch it easily.

As for Da-bird, I have so far bought only 2 refills, the rest I DIY. I made some new ones lately, enough to last a long time and certainly saving lots of money.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I'm glad someone likes it. I like that I can use soft feathers, I have stopped buying the hard feather. I'm not into business, I hate selling, lol... I made a teaser with a rattan stick and gave away some to a cat lover I have never met before, lol, with more than 15 cats(?) at home, just as an appreciation for caring for that many cats at home plus the strays. She saw mine on fb and was interested, so I made them for her and they are pretty cheap to make.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol...I taught ET "let go" too, but he will let go only when I stop pulling, not when I tug. I bought all the refills for neko flies but have only used 2 of them. ET loved it too, but I hardly use it cos I have trouble waving it, abit more strenuous and ET almost always manage to catch it easily.

As for Da-bird, I have so far bought only 2 refills, the rest I DIY. I made some new ones lately, enough to last a long time and certainly saving lots of money.
wow! you DIY refills looks great! I bet my kitten (and other cats) will love them :lol: I'm going to look around to see if I can get similar materials around here to make my own. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know if she sells them over Amazon for the US market or not. You can try a search on Amazon for Flying Frenzy and see?
If not then I guess she is strictly selling in the UK only.
Also try ebay. I know she sells on ebay too but I just don't know if she does UK only or US also.

LOL that's right, they learn in THEIR time, not ours lol. Just give a little tug on the feathers when you're saying "let go" and if that still doesn't work, while you're still saying "let go" reach down gently with your hand and take it away. Good luck :)
Thanks! I'll go check on Amazon and Ebay. :jump

1 - 12 of 12 Posts