Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if Dr. Marty Nature’s Feast is worth the price? Rainey is a short-hair domestic, 5 years old and always seems hungry. He me-ows demandingly many times a day and then leads me to his auto feeder. The auto feeder (PetNet) gives him 3 meals a day When he weighted 13.5 lbs. the Vet told me to switch to Purina ProPlan Weight Management dry cat food. He gets the chicken and rice formula. I did that. Now he looks leaner, yet he still weighs 13 lbs. I watch Dr. Goldstein's video and he says cats should not eat corn and corn gluten in the third ingredient on the list of the Purina. Purina cost less that $15/month and Dr. Marty Nature’s Feast would cost over $400/month. Still I love my kitty. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yikes! Dr. Marty must be doing quite well. (If he manages to sell any of his cat food.) Surely there must be a good quality food that's priced somewhere in between those two.

Have you tried getting Rainey to be more active? Maybe try him on some new toys. There are some toys available that you put kibble in and the cat has to figure out how to get the food out. (Read the low-star reviews, though, cause some of them may have safety issues.) A feather wand, a tower of balls, even just a ping-pong ball can get a cat moving. Different cats like different types of toys, so don't give up just cause he isn't interested in these.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I posted a reply because Rainy is very active. He goes outdoors. He can easily jump 4" high. When we play, I chase him and he runs very fast. Like all cats he sleeps over 50% of the time, yet he does not seem lethargic ever. He will come when I call him.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am assuming that it is dry food you have him on. The high carbs in it place cats at an increased risk of diabetes. If he is losing weight where is it mostly. Does he look a lot skinnier back around his hips and back legs. Sometimes that can be a sign of diabetes. Should maybe have your vet check him. Is he drinking increased amounts of water? We have a cat who is diabetic and ever since he has been he begs way more for food throughout the day. Not continually. I always wonder if he knows when his blood sugar is going down and feels he needs a snack. Whatever you do I would not put him on food that costs $400 a month. That is a rip off and who could afford it? I bet his ingredients are not that much better if the truth be known. I would recommend switching him to a wet pate cat food diet. And make sure it has no added gravies on it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your comments. The matter is resolved. Fearing diabetes, I made an appointment at the Vet. I wrote down all the information and gave it along with Rainey to the technician who came to my vehicle. In a little while, the Vet came out, being 10" away, he told me that while he could do a blood test for Rainey, Rainey appeared to be a very healthy cat. I learned that Rainey previously weighed 17 pounds (not 13.5 lbs as I believed and that he now weighs 13 lbs), and while a little over-weight, he is not obese like he was. The Vet thought a blood test was unnecessary as Rainey has not lost weight fast, which happens when a cat has diabetes. It turned out Rainey was one day away from his one-year anniversary for vaccinations, so he got those and all is fine. Since Rainey was "rescued" from a feral cat mother on a farm and bottle-fed when young, the Vet thought his asking for food all the time comes from when as a kitten, he could not get food on demand. Rainey currently has a habit of sucking on a blanket when it is over my lap and kneads my legs with his hind feet. The Vet earlier had described that as resulting from kittenhood un-met needs.
So all is well. I have to admit, Rainey has me well trained to address his needs. As we all know, we do not own cats; they own us.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Very glad you have a answer to your question. As for all the begging, what do you plan to do? That kind of thing drives me nuts, be it cats or children! ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When it first started, I ignored him. When Rainey became more insistent, and I read about Dr. Marty Nature’s Feast online, I decided to ask all of you about it. In the meantime, I bought canned cat food without gravy, as Sharon suggested. Before I took him to the vet, he had one can and LOVED it. The vet said it was not necessary food and would increase teeth decay as he ages from his current five years.
The bottom line, I ignore him half the time. He only meows when I am near his food dish, which is unfortunately pretty often as it is in the pantry between the kitchen and a small bathroom that is next to the family room. In any event, I am just glad he is healthy. I will watch his weight and occasionally give him less than a handful of kibbles.

·
Super Moderator
26,440 Posts
Wet food does NOT contribute to tooth decay. Dry food does NOT clean teeth. That's like saying people eating Fritos will keep their teeth clean. As much as I wish that was true, it's not. Most cats shatter kibble with the ends of their teeth, or, like one of my fur-covered Hoovers, they don't even chew.

My Charlee wants food all the time. Even an hour after she's already eaten. She opens the refrigerator and just stands there, as though new food has suddenly appeared. OH. Crap. That's not Charlee, that's me. :oops:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts