Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My aunt just called me selfish for wanting another cat. She said I was a bad person for re-homing two cats(they were re-homed for there safety). She said the only reason I re-homed them because they were not kittens anymore. Which is SO not true!! Thunder and fat albert were literally trying to kill each other. It got bad enough where Thunder needed stiches. Since Dice passed away Yoda bonded with Thunder. Having to keep her from Thunder, Thunder from both cats it was stressing us all out. So my mom had a elderly person working "for" her and she took them. We sent Thunder first(with intentions on keeping Yoda). Well Yoda got really stressed without Thunder. So the people who took Thunder also took Yoda. They are loving and thirving in there new home. Truthfully I think they like it better there. Yoda was becoming skiddish of all the dogs/people coming and going through the house and Thunder and Albert were at each others throats constantly. So to me I had good intentions when i re-homed them. Do I feel guilty about it? Heck yeah! but now that I see how they are doing and thriving am I depressed about it and wish I didn't re-home them? No!

The reason for a kitten.
Albert hates being inside anymore. He spends most of his day sun bathing in the yard. When he comes in he meows till he is let out, again. He has even jumped out a window to get back outside :/ So i want to get a female kitten that will grow up as a strictly indoor cat. That way she does not have that drive that Albert has to get outside. It will be a female so Albert will get along with her. I feel horrible now that my aunt hit me with the whole Thunder and Yoda thing :( I HAVE tested Albert to make sure he gets along with females(and he does). I know some day Albert is going to get hit. I think that is another reason I want a kitten. So when Albert passes I will have a cat still to help grieve the loss with. I am not 100% sure or even 50% sure if I am def. getting a kitten but i really want one and might get one.

Do you guys think I am a mean/evil person for wanting a kitten?? I just don't know what to think right now.

·
Registered
979 Posts
I think you need to look at Fat Albert's track record in regards to living with other cats, and rethink you're decision to adopt another.

I don't think you're mean/evil for wanting a kitten, and your aunt stepped out of line with what she said. But if the situation was bad enough that you had to rehome your other cats, you need to consider very carefully what's going to be best for Fat Albert, and that there's no guarantee he's going to get along with another cat just because it's a girl.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Albert was my first priority in my decision. I have had female cats over her and he gets along with them fine, always has. he just does not like males for some reason. No it wasn't just with one cat. I had a girl kitten I was watching for a bit and he did fine with with her. I also watched an older girl cat, again fine with her. I just need to make it clear he was my first priority in my decision making. But my aunt bringing up the Yoda and Thunder problem is just what got to me. Albert was also fine with Yoda(female). Yoda was re-homed with Thunder because of her bond with him.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
Ultimately who is going to be responsible for paying for a new cat? It's food and it's vet bills? Is this something you have a job and pay for, or is it Mom's responsibility?

Also what about school? At some point are you leaving for college? Will you be leaving a new kitten with your mom to take care of for you?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be paying for the cat's food. My mom and me would split vet bills. The cat will come with me when I leave for college, just like my dog.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With him constantly wanting/going outside I am afraid he is going to. I want him to be a strict inside cat but as I said before he jumped out the bathroom window to get outside. he has never like being inside 24/7.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I will be paying for the cat's food. My mom and me would split vet bills. The cat will come with me when I leave for college, just like my dog.
Wow, I had a heck of a place finding a place that would take pets at all much less a cat and a dog.

I say as long as you're the one that's going to pay for everything and it stays your responsibility go for it.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
So you think he will be killed one day as an outdoor cat. And instead of doing everything you can to keep him safe and alive as an inside-only (like closing the bathroom window or build an outdoor enclosure), you decided to get another kitten so that you can move on easier when Albert is killed.

Oh well, I have no more comment.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The first. I could be mixing Dicesmom up with another user, but I think she said she's in ~9th grade right now.

Dicesmom, I know it's not something that seems relevant right now, but living away from home for school is expensive, especially if you're looking for a place that will allow a menagerie. It would be sad to limit yourself to a local college just because of pets, y'know?

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
And many colleges require that you live in dorms the first year, not off campus housing. You can't have pets in school housing.

Based on everything I'm reading here and in other posts, I don't think another kitten is a good idea. Dice wandered off and never came home, you had to rehome two cats because they don't get along with Fat Albert. You can't manage to keep Fat Albert in the house. You mention lots of people and dogs coming and going. What makes you think you can keep a new kitten in the house? And as someone else mentioned...no guarantee it will be accepted by Fat Albert. You're thinking of only yourself and not what is best for the kitten you would bring into the living situation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
*warning, off topic* :)

I just wanted to say there are some colleges that allow you to have a caged animal (like the ferret) or a cat in your dorm. But I don't think you're allowed to have more than one pet.

I looked all this up the day I stopped calling Keona a stray I was feeding and put the collar on her :D

Top 10 Pet-Friendly Colleges | Petside

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I plan on attending university of Illinois. I have already sent an email to them about pets. And with the link provided above it says I can have up to 2 pets. I plan on taking my dog and if I have a cat, a cat. Will I still have Fat Albert, yup. But it wouldn't be right to make him stay in an "dorm" when he is already stressed enough in a big house. So i may just have a dog. I know that having a pet in college is expensive. People have done it and continue to do it. I have all this well planned and thought out. I am only a sophomore in high school but I am looking at what I am going to do in 2-3 years. Me and my parents have already discussed everything about my animals.

We did shut the bath room window. We have tried everything to make the house more fun. He just doesn't enjoy the indoors. he has been like that since a kitten. did Dice get out and never come back,yes. So that means I can never have a cat again!??

Is there sometimes people/dogs coming and going,yes. but a lot of people with cats have people that come and go,also. . So what is the difference? now that school is starting ect.. we do not have a lot of visitors.

·
Super Moderator
26,669 Posts
I know some day Albert is going to get hit. I think that is another reason I want a kitten. So when Albert passes I will have a cat still to help grieve the loss with.
I think this statement is what people are a little shocked about, I know I am. Maybe it didn't come out how you meant it to, but.....

Here are some common issues cats can have:

diarrhea, ringwork, worms, blood in the stool, broken toes, broken leg, patches of hair falling out, vomiting, not eating, lethargy, dental issues....

These require vet visits, medications, x-rays, care and attention. Handling this while attending classes and having to study can be overwhelming. Heck, this is overwhelming under any circumstances.

College is supposed to be a time of personal growth, making friends, having fun, learning and challenging yourself. Adding pets to the mix is definitely doable, but it's a huge extra responsibility.

Plus, uprooting pets to a new place could also add the delightful issue of inappropriate peeing and/or pooping. Roommates just LOVE that one!

I think you should spend your first couple of months at college without any pets you may have at the time and reevaluate the situation when you go home for Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
979 Posts
did Dice get out and never come back,yes. So that means I can never have a cat again!??

Is there sometimes people/dogs coming and going,yes. but a lot of people with cats have people that come and go,also. . So what is the difference?
Don't get defensive. I can't speak for anyone else, but I care about the well-being of cats more then I care about their owners feelings. I think you are angry because your aunt was rude to you (which she was - totally unwarrented, uncalled for opinion from her) - but you asked. I'm telling you what I think. She may not have said it in the nicest way possible, but your aunt has a point - your track record thus far doesn't really scream "responsible pet owner" to me.

U of Illinois is quite a prestigious school, as far as I understand the USA system. It's a good goal to reach for, but it's not guaranteed. What's your back-up plan if you don't get accepted? If you get a cat now, you'll still have it after graduation. What about grad school? Relocating for work? What if you want to do a semester abroad? Pell grants don't cover vet bills.

Personally, if it were me (and it was, a few years ago), I would wait until I was firmly out of my parent's house and financially stable. If you get into UIllinois, or is you find housing wherever that's pet friendly, great. But do you really want to tell people, 4 years from now, that you're working at Wal-Mart because you didn't get into UIllinois and no other college would let you bring your cat?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.