i got my pre cat fix papers in today, and the estimate is $132

Cat neuter---$43
Crea/bun/alt/alkp/ glu blood(what ever that stuff is) ---$25
Pain meds---$14
Leukemia/ fiv(2nd test)---$30
Distemper shot---$10
Leukemia vaccine---$10
Total $132

His app is for this tueday morning at 8am, and i finally got him to eat a different kind of canned food(was eating 9 lives, now eatin whiskas)

i think im getting ripped off

·
Registered
30 Posts
the crea/bun/alt/alkp and glu are pre aneasthetic blood tests to ensure your pets organs are coping as they should for his age....you can refuse them if you wish.
has he already been tested for leuk and fiv ? why test him again ?
are the other shots his booster shots ? is he due for them ?
pain meds are important, for a smooth recovery.
the neuter itself is reasonable, that would include the anaesthetic costs which are usually the most expensive part of the whole thing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my vet recommends a 2nd Leukemia/ fiv test becuase i got him tested so young(under 3 months)

And i dont know about those shots because i just had him up there 3 weeks ago and he had to get 3 shots. And my shot records are in my bank safe box so i cant go up and get them right now because there closed..

·
Registered
656 Posts
Medical bills can be so expensive! There are things you can do to cut down though
First of all...have youtried calling around to different vets?
Also I do not know where you are from, however there are alot of low cost clinics to help with the cost if it is hard for you to afford. I will search for a link shortly.
When I got my male cat fixed at a regular vet it was only 50.00 for the surgery? He had shots also, but not at the same time, I think his shots were like 50 dollars total
At the low cost place for my female kittys it is 45.00 for surgery and shots total

·
Registered
68 Posts
All the prices seem pretty reasonable. Just remember that it's ultimately up to you what you want done for your cat. If I didn't have much money I would at least get the neuter and distemper shot ($53.00). I did buy pain medication from a pet store for my dog for a lot cheaper. I'm not sure if they have it for cats.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Have you called around or looked for a low-cost spay/neuter clinic? I remember in central Calif, there were 2 of them in town, which was about 22 miles from where I lived. It is worth the drive and time. Here in this part of Kansas, there are no low cost clinics, but the prices are kept down if I go through our local shelter. Minimally, I would check for feline leukemia before getting my cats spayed or neutered. This may cost a little, but it is worth it. I have lost a few to this contageous disease.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It doesn't matter what age the cat is when you test it for FeLV and FIV. What matters is if the cat has been in contact with possible carriers of the diseases. If your cat only liver indoor and doesn't meet other cats you donät need the FeLV/FIV-test but if the cat spends time outdoors it might be a good idea.

Is the cat vaccinated for Leukemia since earlier? If he is the FeLV-test is unnecessary. A vaccinated cat has antibodies in the blood so a vaccinated cat will test positive for the disease.

If the cat lives indoors the Luekemia vaccination might not be necessary. If he's outdoors however it's a good idea vaccinating against Leukemia.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I agree with what's already been said. Those prices look very reasonable-But I'd also decline the Leukimea/fiv test and the Leukimea vaccine if he's a strictly indoor cat(if you EVER let him outside to explore, I'd recommend getting it, though). As for the rest of the stuff, those prices are very reasonable. I paid $35 to have the preanesthetic blood tests done, $27.50 for Distemper and Leukimea shots, and $20 for pain meds, and $65.50 for the spay, or $50 for a neuter, so those prices look really good to me!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've noticed that pet hospitals seem to be the most expensive. So $200 is no surprise. :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
my vet charges $87 for a spay- including anesthesia and hospitilization. does that seem reasonable?

·
Registered
656 Posts
87 for a spay seems very reasonable, a little high if it was a nueter. My vet charges 100.00 for spay surgery. Check into a low cost clinic though.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I paid 50 dollars to have Velvet spayed. Of course this was nine years ago. At the time I took her to a cat-only vet who was so wonderful with her and very reasonable priced to boot! That office has since closed, unfortunately. :(

·
Registered
917 Posts
i take my kitties to a cat only place too. i can afford the cost, i just was wondering if it was typical.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
faile said:
i take my kitties to a cat only place too. i can afford the cost, i just was wondering if it was typical.
That would be great, I really miss my cat-only vet. She really cared and seemed to understand cats more. Plus I didn't have to run into big dogs in the lobby. :wink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, were I am it is $25.00 for a cat Neuter. Flat rate.
If your kitten is young you wouldn't need to be concered about the blood work. As long as he has been in good health.
I would get a Felv test if he hasn't had one. Then if he is negative I would get the vacc. Here it would be about $60.00 for both.
As far as the meds. for after the surgery it is not really needed unless you want it. Neuter are a lot easier on males than a spay for females. I would for go that unless I noticed my cat having a problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts