Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 dsh that are around 6 months old and they both go CRAZY over food. They jump up on the table as we are eating dinner and try steal it off our plates. They sniff out any crumbs on the floor and scour the kitchen counters. Today I had to take a cucumber away from one of them and a muffin paper away from the other. Every time someone goes into the kitchen they meow like crazy and try to climb up them because they think they are going to get fed. When it is actually feeding time they have it devoured in minutes and are asking for more and have eaten absolutely everything I have tried to offer them.
I'm feeding both canned and raw right now. Basing off a 10lb adult weight they should need about 6.4oz of raw a day if I was only feeding raw and the canned food is saying 2 cans if i was only feeding canned. I'm giving them about 3oz of raw twice a day and 5.5oz of canned in the evening. Plus they occasionally get treats so I'm giving more then the reccomended amounts already but they still act like they are starving.
Their body condition seems perfect to me. I can feel bones but they are not protruding at all and they don't look under weight. They both seem to be putting weight on at a consistent pace and are both over 6lbs now.

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I have the same issues with Book. He eats 9oz of canned food a day still and while he is lean I don't think he's SKINNY but he is convinced he is starving. I can't leave ANY food items out.

Last night he chewed open a plastic container of dried kidney beans while I was sleeping. I don't know how many he ate but there was plenty of half eaten and chewed up beans.

If I leave my kitchen sponge out after washing dishes he'll drag it off and chew it up.....

I can't leave my pot holders out if I've gotten ANY food on them, he'll pull them off their hanger and chew on them.

Heaven forbid I give them some of my meal or any kind of snack. Book eats his as fast as he possibly can and races to MowMow to rip the treat right out of MowMow's mouth. Mow is such a gentle taker/slow eater he usually has barely taken it before Book has grabbed it and run off.

When I'm eating he just loses his mind. God forbid I drop any thing on the floor because he'll run over anyone in his way scrambling to get to the food. While my mother was here he would climb right onto her plate (he would't DARE try that with me) if I don't lock him up during meals.

I also can't soak dirty pots in the sink. He'll lap at the soapy water. I've never owned ANY animal that was so desperate for food as Book. I sincerely hope this is something he outgrows because it is INCREDIBLY tedious to deal with.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
My cats are all VERY food driven. I can keep one, possibly two out during meal times, and they won't try any funny stuff, but more than that and they pack around you to take your food.

Trust me they eat well, but are always in the mood for more. Sasha came out of kittenhood officially as of today so he gets a free pass at times, but the rest of them are locked up in a bedroom during meal times. This is when they get their treats so they all run into the room and we get to eat in peace.

To answer the question of the OP, kittens eat a lot....so no worries. It's perfectly natural :) as long as the body condition is good and it sounds like it it from your description, kitty is not starving just opportunistically hungry!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the same issues with Book. He eats 9oz of canned food a day still and while he is lean I don't think he's SKINNY but he is convinced he is starving. I can't leave ANY food items out.

Last night he chewed open a plastic container of dried kidney beans while I was sleeping. I don't know how many he ate but there was plenty of half eaten and chewed up beans.

If I leave my kitchen sponge out after washing dishes he'll drag it off and chew it up.....

I can't leave my pot holders out if I've gotten ANY food on them, he'll pull them off their hanger and chew on them.

Heaven forbid I give them some of my meal or any kind of snack. Book eats his as fast as he possibly can and races to MowMow to rip the treat right out of MowMow's mouth. Mow is such a gentle taker/slow eater he usually has barely taken it before Book has grabbed it and run off.

When I'm eating he just loses his mind. God forbid I drop any thing on the floor because he'll run over anyone in his way scrambling to get to the food. While my mother was here he would climb right onto her plate (he would't DARE try that with me) if I don't lock him up during meals.

I also can't soak dirty pots in the sink. He'll lap at the soapy water. I've never owned ANY animal that was so desperate for food as Book. I sincerely hope this is something he outgrows because it is INCREDIBLY tedious to deal with.
That sounds exactly like my cats and its really starting to drive me crazy! Hopefully they grow out of it soon.

My cats are all VERY food driven. I can keep one, possibly two out during meal times, and they won't try any funny stuff, but more than that and they pack around you to take your food.

Trust me they eat well, but are always in the mood for more. Sasha came out of kittenhood officially as of today so he gets a free pass at times, but the rest of them are locked up in a bedroom during meal times. This is when they get their treats so they all run into the room and we get to eat in peace.

To answer the question of the OP, kittens eat a lot....so no worries. It's perfectly natural :) as long as the body condition is good and it sounds like it it from your description, kitty is not starving just opportunistically hungry!

So should I just keep feeding what I am?
The other night I split a large can between the 2 of them too see if they would actually stop eating but they didn't until it was gone.

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
The other night I split a large can between the 2 of them too see if they would actually stop eating but they didn't until it was gone.
LOL! I've done that too. The "let them eat as much as they want for 20 minutes" didn't work with Book. I actually set down the entire 13 ounces and he ate every bit...and then vomited it all back up (and ate most of it back down before I could get the cleaner/towels and get to it). Greedy little monster.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as letting a single cat eat 13 oz in one sitting, but Sasha at his prime, easily ate about 9-13 oz per day.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
lt sounds as if they're gobbling their food down so fast, it doesn't give their brains time to tell the stomach it's getting full. To slow down their eating, I would spread out the canned food on a plate thinly so that they have to lick it off. Also, you should consider that they are both in active growth, and you should feel a thin layer of fat over the ribs, so you might try increasing the amount a little more and see if that doesn't satisfy them, altho 6 lbs. at 6 mos. is a good weight, depending on their bone structure.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
At six months, we were giving the kittens as much food as they wanted. I think it was around 3/4 of a smaller can, twice a day. And we had a small amount of Evo dry out 24/7.
They naturally cut back on their intake, so we just let them decide what to eat. Zoey is five, Talley around 3. The vet is always pleased that they aren't overweight - two of the few in his practice.

Our cats have never shown interest in people food, other than Talley liking ice cream.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yoshi is the same way as others have described.....a food freak. Whenever I walk to the kitchen sink (a lot), he jumps up on the counter expecting to get fed. I have to shut him in the bathroom when I do feed him, or else he goes crazy and I can't even get the food on the plate. He knows he has to go into the bathroom, and sometimes he actually runs into the bathroom thinking we'll feed him!

When we cook or sit down for a meal ourselves, we have to put him in his room as well.

He's my little piggy. But I know I feed him enough, and he looks great.....he's all muscle since he spends most of the day running all over the house and playing. I've never seen a cat this food driven, or with this amount of energy all the time. Not sure if he'll grow out of it, but doesn't seem like he will any time soon! :)

·
Registered
786 Posts
My two DSH are the same way. They eat plenty of food, and they are a good size (same as yours, can feel ribs but can't see them or anything). Anytime I go into the kitchen and open their food/treat cupboard they come flying from wherever they were (even if sound asleep) and start crying loudly. We can't even eat without them jumping on the table trying to steal food, so we have resorted to putting them in another room.

When they were little they use to graze dry food all day, now they gobble up wet and dry right away. They get treats daily and sometimes I treat them with canned pumpkin on top of their normal food intake and they still act like they are starving. Btw mine are 9 and 10 months old.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know this one is from a couple weeks ago- does any one have any tips to get these guys to slow down? I've tried spreading the wet food over the bowl to slow him down.

Martin is like this too- he thinks he is starving! he gets a mix of a couple different canned foods in the morning and at night (probably 4-5 oz total per day) and just under 1/2 cup of dry food most days when we're gone at work. He eats anything that falls on the floor, jumps in the sink, and cries like he has never been fed ever. He was 11.5 pounds at the vet last week, and really lean- you can't see his ribs, but you can see his hip bones.

Did I get a puppy in a cat suit?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts