Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was 23 when I got pregnant with the twins, people consider that really young too 8O

I had a friend get pregnant at 15, another at 17 and another at 18

Its hard for young mothers, they get looked down upon, which is very sad...

Its not only hard for the teenager but the parents too..All my friends where thrown out of the house when their parents found out...I have twin daughters and if one came home pregnant at a young age I would not know what to do, I would not throw them out, I know that...

Bless you Dawn..I know it must have been hard being a young mom...

Dont get me wrong I dont think its right for a teenager to get pregnant so young, but I am not one to talk, my grandmother had my mother when she was 18, and my mother had me when she was 21...

All my friends had it very hard being young and pregnant....

I dont know where to go with this...as its a touchy subject...

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was 19 when I got pregnant with my first son. Then I waited until I was 26 before I had another. My husband and I always said we wanted 3 kids, but after the second came along, he was such a terror the first few years, we decided we had enough!! :lol: Now I just look forward to grandchildren (but not in the near future!).

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chris06516
I can relate to that chris.....I had Daniel at age 17 and Dakota was born when I was 27. Being a teenage Mother was mostly a wonderful experience for me, I did have a very supportive family that allowed us to live at home with them until I graduated High School. I was 1 of the lucky ones that was acccepted into a School for unwed Mothers. It was an amazing program! Then after I finished Cosmetology School and got my first job, I was out on my own with my young son.
I had such energy when I was a young Mom....I wish I had the same energy for my kids now! Sometimes I think I did a better job at parenting 20 years ago then I am doing now??? Here are some pictures
of pictures so they are kind of blurry. Nice memories! :D

Me and Daniel age 6 months.

Me and Daniel's 1st Birthday

Me and Daniel age 3 Christmas.

Me and Daniel age 5.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
emma_pen said:
I am probably the oldest girl in my family without a kid - and I'm only 22 8O
Same with my family...I'm an "old maid." My mom and dad, brothers, uncles, grandparents (on mom's side) and most of those cousins were married or had children by the age of 20.

My brother John was a dad at the age of 15. His daughter is now 13. My maid of honor (yes, I picked my wedding party already) had a baby at 16, but she gave him up for adoption (open adoption, so she gets pictures and letters from the parents).

It was not uncommon where I grew up, in fact is was accepted. I remember when my other brother graduated, one girl didn't show up because she had given birth that morning and my mother was shocked to hear the principal congratulate the girl (I thought it was a sweet gesture).

·
Registered
224 Posts
I wish it would have been like that for my friends, sadly the 2 had to drop out of school because they where shunned for making a mistake, their parents where not excepting either :(

But I am proud of my friends, they have worked very hard to get where they are in life now, my friend who was 15 when she had her 1st child now has 9 children and owns her own business, along with running a dog rescue and caring for all of her children...

My friend who was 17, is now a teacher

And my friend who was 18 is a teacher also...

my friend who got pregnant at 18 grew up in a strict Mormon family, but they have come around and are now in her life which I am happy to hear that...

It makes you stronger as a parent and a person! That how I see it any way :wink:

And Dawn your son is such a handsome boy :wink: :D

·
Registered
403 Posts
Nope, I was 15 during my first pregnancy (angel baby) and 18 when I became pregnant with my second. Looks like you aren't alone!

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
Great pictures, Dawn! I always picture you as fairhaired, but you are a very pretty brunette. :) The only problem with being a mother so young is that you could be a grandmother in your thirties! My sister was. It seems impossible, but ....The good part is that everyone will think the baby's yours!

·
Registered
452 Posts
I graduated from h.s. in early June, 1985. Got married in late June of 1985 and conceived my first child when I was 19, so technically, I was a pregnant teen. I gave birth to my first when I was 20 and my 2nd when I was 24.

As I look back now, I feel that I (personally) was way too young...but they are and are almost grown. I will be 42 when my youngest graduates from h.s. so that will begin "my time" to enjoy life...as well as have the maturity and the financial freedom to live it more fully.

There are pros and cons to having children young. I have encouraged my daughters to wait until their mid-twenties at least...and after a few years of marriage so they can enjoy being a couple before they have to alter their lives to care for a child.

This is just my opinion. I know of a girl who is due to have a baby in 2 weeks. She is 14. She is planning to keep the child (with her parents' help and involvement) finish school and (if all goes as planned) marry the father of the child when she has finished school and has finished a trade school. The father is 15, I think. I find this sad, but the girl is anxious to be a mother. I will not judge anyone on any decision they make in regards to what is best if they become pregnant while in their teens. I do hope that the young dad stays involved, though. Regardless of the "love" and "promises"...very few teen "dads" stick around for long once they realize their buddies are off playing football, going to parties, etc...while they have to get a part-time job to pay for diapers, etc.

I am over-joyed to see the lovely pics of your adult son! He is quite a handsome young man and his bride is gorgeous...and you are soooo beautiful Dawn! I'm jealous! :wink:

Edit to add more info: My grandparents got married when my grandmother was 14 and he was 19 (he was about to shipped to France for WWII.) She conceived right away and gave birth to twin boys at 15, then had my mom when she was 16 (less than one year apart...my poor grandmother: 3 of them almost the same age, and her husband was in Europe. My mother "eloped" with my father when she was 15 (my dad was 22). They didn't PLAN to start a family right away, but my brother joined the world when my mom was 16 and I came in when she was 21...so I was the oldest in three generations to have kids) 8)

·
Registered
403 Posts
BoscosMum said:
YAY! :D :D :D

How old is your child now? Got some pics?
Not sure if you meant me or not, but he's almost 10 now. My daughter is almost 5. :) I do have pics, but am picture shy of posting them in a public forum. Maybe I can find an older one to snap a digital pic of & share. Or put the black band over his eyes or something, lol. :lol:

·
Registered
452 Posts
EllyMay said:
BoscosMum said:
YAY! :D :D :D

How old is your child now? Got some pics?
Not sure if you meant me or not, but he's almost 10 now. My daughter is almost 5. :) I do have pics, but am picture shy of posting them in a public forum. Maybe I can find an older one to snap a digital pic of & share. Or put the black band over his eyes or something, lol. :lol:
I posted a link to some pics of my oldest a while back, but only because she is an adult now. Her friend put them up on a photobucket page, and about all I know how to do is copy and paste. I don't have any idea how to actually post pics. :oops: A complete computer idiot---->Brynn. :lol: I won't post any pics of my youngest, though...she is still underage. :wink:

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Brynn...I figured we were the same age. I graduated in 1986. :D

As far as the Teen Fathers....nope they rarely stick around. :cry:
Daniels father and I started dating when I was only 13...he was my
first love and we dated up until Daniel was less than 1 year old.
I had dreamed that he would marry me but he was a 'run-around' and it
is a miracle that he does not have several children out there.
He did re-unite with Daniel when Daniel was turning 14 yrs old.
It was a very difficult and painful time for everyone involved.

When I look at those pictures of myself so many years ago...
I do feel a sense of sadness, it is hard to explain.
I made many mistakes along the way. I was such a pretty young girl.
I no longer look that way! I have aged far beyond my years.
And energy...I have NONE! I think looking at the big picture,
I would say I have lived a more difficult life than most.

Plus, after I married George...we had 4 children in a 5 year time frame
and I just do not think that any womans body,
inside or out, can handle that.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts