Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just so happy!! My Munchie was suppose to have bladder stone surgery this morning. I took him in and the vet x-rayed him beforehand, just in case, and the stones were all gone - nothing showed on the x-ray! <note - this was after his stones showed to be bigger, 2 weeks ago, than what they had been a month prior>. His urine today was also normal - no crystals, blood or bacteria - pH 6.5. He hasn't had normal urine since his problems began in May! And his liver counts which were abnormal 2 months ago were normal again.

I attribute it to prayers that were answered but also to the Wellness Core canned food (which I add water to) that I changed all my kitties to (stopped feeding them dry).

Here's all the details of what's happened. Back in February Munchie started having constipation issues (I thought he was backed up from the way he was behaving, but he wasn't). He'd get better and then still have some problems.

Then in May he started having bladder problems (constantly going outside of the litterbox, red/bloody urine, crying and straining at times). He was diagnosed with bladder infection (urine ph 6.0, had bacteria & white/red blood cells, no crystals). He was checked for being backed up, but he wasn't. He was given an antibiotic shot (which would last for 2 weeks). He got better for a while.

We waited about a month before running more tests to see if his urine came back fine, which it did (no bacteria, but he had a few crystals). Then he was given a depo shot for his allergies and then about two weeks later or so he started acting different so I decided to get a sr blood panel done and urinalysis. The urine showed pH 6.5, 4+ oxalate crystal, some blood and no bacteria. The blood panel showed his calcium & liver counts to be elevated, so he was put on a different antibiotic (pills) which he was only given for 10 days because he started having bloody urine and going outside of the litterbox again, etc. So, they suspected him having the bladder infection again. So I stopped the pill antibiotic and he got the 2 week antibiotic shot again.

Two days later it hadn't helped, so I asked that x-rays be done and it showed bladder stone(s). He was started on the Hills Prescription s/d dry & wet. Prior to this diet he was on Hills k/d dry & Science diet canned chicken. For as long as I can remember my cats have been on the Hills m/d dry and science diet canned (but mostly eating the dry), until one kitty started having kidney issues and the food was switched to Hills k/d (but Munchie didn't eat the wet k/d so still fed him the science diet canned, he still ate more dry than wet for the most part).

I tried to faithfully give him only the Hills s/d after finding the stone(s), but for a couple of weeks he probably got it 85% of the time and ate some of the other kitty's food the rest of the time. Then I made sure for another 3 weeks that he only ate the s/d. I took him back in for another x-ray and it showed that the bladder stones had gotten bigger. So, at this point I was thinking that the stones were probably the oxalate type that wouldn't dissolve by diet, so we decided to do cystonomy surgery to remove the stones (especially since some of his urine samples were coming back with oxalate crystals).

The day after finding out his stones were bigger I stopped the s/d food and started feeding all the kitties the Wellness Core canned food only (no dry). That's all they've eaten for the past two weeks. Munchie doesn't like treats, so it's all he's had. I started noticing all the cats being perkier, more energy (even my kitty with the kidney problems has seemed more alert than she used to), smaller poops, even softer hair. They love the wellness food! Plus it's cheaper than the prescription hill's! PTL!

So, that brings us up to today. I'm just so thankful for this website and for all the helpful people out here. Everyone's so awesome! Had I not of come here for advice and started my kitties on a grain-free high protein wet diet, who knows for sure how Munchie's stones would have turned out - he probably would have had the surgery. I was so relieved & thankful that he didn't have to have it though. So thankful - praising God for healing him!!

I still don't know what I'll do with one of the kitties who is seeming to have allergies now since on this new food. His conjunctivitis seemed to flare up a couple weeks ago though, so I got him some fresh eye medicine to see if that would help and got him some ear saline. So, we'll have to see about that issue as time goes by.

Anyhow, sorry this was soooo long. I just had to share my amazing story and good news!! I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts and whether this has happened to anyone else before. Thanks for listening. I'm a Wellness Core and wet-only food believer now!! Just wish I had known sooner. :2kitties

·
Super Moderator
26,659 Posts
What a great update!!!

·
Registered
5,473 Posts

I still don't know what I'll do with one of the kitties who is seeming to have allergies now since on this new food. His conjunctivitis seemed to flare up a couple weeks ago though, so I got him some fresh eye medicine to see if that would help and got him some ear saline. So, we'll have to see about that issue as time goes by.
Glad to hear Munchie didn't need surgery.....that was wonderful news!

I would switch your kitty to another no grain brand, or you might consider a raw food diet.
If this doesn't make any difference , you could give kitty L-Lysine (500 mg) (an amino acide available at drug stores/healthfood stores). Sprinkle half a capsule on his morning meal and mix in, and the other half on his evening meal. This L-Lysine is an immunity booster and it may help with the conjunctivitis if it's related to herpes virus if he's a carrier which can have flare ups of eye discharge. Good luck!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Glad to hear you were able to avoid surgery! Hannah had the same issues, bladder problems and stones and we had the same experience, a wet grain free diet completely cleared it up. She is like a youngster again.

Good food is a lot cheaper than vet bills!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.