Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a story on Amazing Animals about a kitten who got her flea collar caught in her mouth. The more she struggle the more it choked her. She knocked the phone off the hook and her paws hit 911 :!: The dispatcher said on the tape that it sounded like a choking cat. (You could hear the crying, choking sounds on the tape.) Well, the rescuers went to the traced address and saved the kitten's life. The question is, of course, was this all luck and coincidence, or are cats even smarter than we think they are?

·
Registered
917 Posts
i wonder if 911 was on a speed dial.....

my uncle is a 911 dispatcher, he said some phones are programmed to call 911 if numerous buttons are being pushed, like if a little kid was bashing on the keypad. he said they got a lot of those. then they call back, and they get the mother, and she's like, "oh my!" :lol:

i'm glad the kitty is safe though!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's probably what happened, but it's a wonderful series of coincidences, isn't it? Maybe there was a kitty angel with that kitten! :) I have 911 in memory dial myself.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have 911 in memory dial myself.
But if you are ok enough to hit one button whats two more........ :lol: Just kidding with you. I just always laugh when 911 is on speed dial.

I'm glad the kitty was saved!

·
Premium Member
28,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, you have only seconds to do something is someone is breaking in, or the house is on fire. At one time, when I was a child, we dialed O for operator and she made all of the necessary calls. I guess it was because under those circumstancs, your hands usually shake, and the fewer numbers, the better. I understand your point, however.

·
Registered
821 Posts
When Maleke was 6 months old he walked across the cordless phone and somehow hit 911. Well we weren't home, but our neighbour told us that there were like 5 cop cars at our house, police banging at our door, looking in windows etc. I knew he had dialed this because when I got home the phone was dead. When my boyfriend called the police to make sure we weren't going to get charged for the call, they told him that there was silence on the other end, and the dispatcher thought that the lines had been crossed (guess it never crossed their minds that my cat thought he needed immediate help!!!! Haha...no actually they did ask if we had any animals, we said yes but we said our phone hangs on the wall...which isn't true!) anyway, turned out we didn't have to pay and they concluded it was a mistake in the lines. It's unbelievable that he actually stepped on those numbers though.......we couldn't believe it and we still can't!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts