Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Milky (Himalayan) is turning 1 in a couple of weeks and he is around 7lbs now. I usually feed him a mixture of canned and drained kibble in warm water. He has always finished or almost finished his food everyday.

Just recently (I guess the past 2 weeks) I've noticed that he has been eating less than before. He will graze on his food then leave it and go back to it later (which he normally does anyway) but now he doesn't finish it, probably only eats 70-80%. Is this normal when cats get to about 1 year of age?

He is acting normally, toileting normally and playing normally. Everything about him seems to be fine, except that he's not eating as much as before. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
Yes, it's perfectly normal for their appetite to drop off as they reach adulthood.

I'd like to add that it sounds like you're mixing canned food, kibble and water all together and then leaving it out for extended periods. You're creating a petri dish for bacteria growth. If you're going to moisten kibble it shouldn't be left out for more than 1/2 hour.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I guess it's normal, but definitely not happening on every cat.

My Metoo use to be the biggest food lover on earth and will finish everything in her dish in a blink of eyes. But after she reaches 8-9 month, she lost the passion. Now she always eat half-heartedly and never finish the food I gave her :/

In contrast, Meatball use to be "just ok" about food, but after 8-9 month old, she is the one happy to see food. Though she never over eat. So I guess it's just part of the unpredictable purrsonality changes from kitty to cat...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys. Sorry I've been out of touch for a while. Been so busy at work, I didn't even have time to read anything here after signing in for the past week...

I've given Milky dry kibble as a snack before and he was fine with it. I guess I don't really have to wet his food now that he's older. Will try tonight and see how he goes.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on feeding Milky dry kibble.

That didn't go as well as I planned. He ate the dry kibble, but not much, and also ended up having very bad diarrhea, maybe because he is not used to the oils from the canned food, since the oil will diminish after mixing in warm water and draining. He's had bad diarrhea twice daily since then.

I had to change back to my old method of draining in warm water starting yesterday. Hope that his poo will get back to normal gradually. I will be keeping an eye on it to monitor the situation. If it's nor right after tomorrow's feeds, we're taking him to see the vet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts