Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( About 9 weeks ago my cat Treacle broke his leg... they think that someone shot him :x Anyway, to cut a long story short, they found an infection in the bone, and unfortunately the antibiotics haven't worked. So tomorrow theyre doing an xRay, followed by a leg amputation. I'm obviously very sad about this.. and I was wondering if any of you guys have had cats who've had 3 legs and if they coped alright without it? It's his front leg btw.

Thank you :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My cat at my Grandmothers front-left leg was amputated after coming home with it paralysed. He coped really well with it, but make sure they take it ALL the way off, and not to the elbow or what-not, because he'll continue to try to use it! That is what my vet did and he still tries to walk on it. Before he figured out he could still use it, he was fine. But now it gets scabby all the time. So make sure it gets ALL taken off.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Aww I'm so sorry about your cat... *sigh* Just one more reason why I don't let my cats step foot (paw?) outside. People are just mean. I loathe being a human sometimes...

I wish you all the best with your kitty. I'm sure your cat will adapt just fine. Have a look at Xander's pictures - he is adorable! And Kristi says he is very happy and has adjusted extremely well. I'm glad to hear you aren't giving up on your cat. But, do me a favor and keep him inside from now on??

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Cats can cope very well with only three legs so I think your kitty will adjust quite well.

Good luck with your little one!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Hi there! Our boy Xander had a paralyzed front leg when we found him in the ditch next to our house. He was just a little kitten then. We had his leg amputated at 6 months (same time as neuter) and he gets along fine. He does have an ungainly walking gait... :roll: but he can actually run very fast. He can't jump as high as other cats, but that's about the only difference I've noted.

I agree, you should certainly keep him inside now if you can. He won't get around as fast now.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me or ask them here...I'll keep an eye on this thread. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your replies!
Yes, its the whole leg, not just half of it. I'd love to keep him inside.. its just that last time when we had to keep him in for about 6 weeks, he was DYING to run outside...trying to escape every time. :( He loves the outside so much.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi there, xTreaclex! :D
A good friend of mine found a kitty half dead on the side of the road and her leg needed to be amputated. They had to remove it all, she learned to adapt without it and runs just as quickly as the other 12 kitties they have! >>>>>
Their kids even nicknamed her "Tripod", she has a very sassy attitude but is perfectly fine. Hope your kitty is better soon!
im_catwoman <<))

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
You can still take him outside. Get him a leash. Or build him an enclosure. Do you realize that with only three legs, your cat won't be able to run as fast or jump as high? He will adjust very well to the missing leg, I'm sure, but he won't be able to get away from dangers as easily as he had been in the past. If you really value your cat (and I'm assuming you do, because you are willing to get him the surgery and help him through the healing process), you will find a way to keep your cat SAFE. This is your one chance. Your cat has been hurt, yet he survived. The next time you will not be so lucky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts