Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of posts lately about vets and mechanics and just people in general who try to get as much money out of you as they can or are simply dishonest.

I'd like to share this little story. I broke a tooth, but I put off going to see my dentist for almost a month because I figured it would need a crown and that meant about $800 out of pocket expense for me, and having been laid off recently, not an expense I needed. I finally couldn't take the pain any longer. He said he thought he could fix it with a filling, which he did right then - with porcelain, knowing it's not covered by my dental plan. When he asked how work was going, I told him I had been laid off.

After he finished, he said he would write off my portion of the bill that insurance wouldn't cover, which would be at least $150 because of the porcelain filling.

He said if it doesn't hold and I need a crown, he'd help me out with that, too. This isn't the first time he's saved me money with his honesty and kindness.

There really are some great people out there.

Any acts of kindness done for you that you'd like to share?

·
Registered
575 Posts
A couple years ago my spine was so bad I couldn't work and Anthony had been laid off. We were about to lose our house so I posted my collies up on a forum similiar to this except for border collie rescue, and instead of them helping me find homes for my dogs, a bunch of members all pitched in and paid our rent for a couple months
And that gave us enough time to get back on our feet. The board isn't around anymore, but I will always be thankful to those people.

·
Super Moderator
26,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that's wonderful, Lorna!

Someone on this Forum offered to pay for my cats' food while I'm laid off. That made me cry.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
I remember someone posting me cans of Merrick for Toby and refusing to accept payment for them despite having just been laid of ....

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Once I had a flat tyre and took the car into a garage to get it fixed. The mechanic told me it wasn't a puncture but a faulty valve. He replaced the valve free of charge.

Now thats' just a little thing, but he could have easily told me that I needed an entire new tyre and I would have been none the wiser.
I'd never been to that garage before so he wasn't doing me a favour as a loyal cutsomer either.

seashell

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
You always hear the bad stories about lawyers, but here is a good one.
Years ago I had finally decided to end my abusive marrage. The local abused womans home recomended this attourney and I paid the retainer with money I had hidden from baby sitting. As the process went on I paid a little bit here and there as I could afford it - now being a single mother with a 3 and 5 year old. When it was finally over I asked how much I still owed. He mailed me the bill that was still just over $300 and it was marked paid in full. That was over 15 years ago but I will never forget that man and how much that helped me at the time.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I've had far more kindnesses than people trying to rip me off :D For that matter...don't know if anyone's ever tried to rip me off.

My best friend: When I started high school, a girl there decided we would be friends. End of story, I had no choice in it :) So she became my best buddy and her family took me in. My home life was pretty unpleasant so I missed out on the finer nuances of being a people. My friend's family taught me things like how to eat at a table, be pleasant to people even when I don't feel like it, incorporate everyone in a group in an activity so that no one feels left out, taught me how to drive, and how to be family. When two of my teeth in the center of my mouth became severely infected and I could no longer eat, they paid for me to have two root canals done. The dentist worked with them on it since it was a good Samaritan act. They also gave me my first car, picked me up from anyone my mom forgot me at, and made sure I had proper supplies for any activity I doing doing.

Other events: When someone tried to kill my kitteh Jig, they shot her in the face with a beebee gun. It lodged in the tip of her nose. Everyone I knew pitched in so I could afford the vet visit, and a man whose animal had an appointment next told me to take his place.

When I was proparing to move to Nevada, my boss knew I was in financial straits. For the three weeks up until I moved, she gave me a raise every single week.

My uncle, knowing I needed help getting ahead in life, let me move into his home in Nevada and even helped pay my bills til I could cover them again.

Now, a friend is offering me to stay in his place in New England so I can get a degree there.

People laugh at me because I'm so trusting sometimes...I leave my car windows down, I don't guard my purse like a bulldog, I give money to anyone I can, and I don't expect negative treatment from others. Well, I've sat & visited with guys that were cold blooded killers, fresh from prison..and grew up around gang members, wife beaters, thieves...almost everyone has some good in them, and most people are very good, and some people have no real bad in them at all. No matter what, there's a greater abundance of good in the world when you add it up that way. Even the killers I knew as a kid would give a child the shirt off their back.

Not that I'm regretting no longer being in the company of cons.

Well, that novel went longer than I thought!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
For the people that have businesses and have helped you, the best thing you can do is recommend them to other. Word of mouth, good or bad, can hugely affect a business.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I know that over the years I've been the recipient of quite a few acts of kindness and, unfortunately, I can't recall any right now except a few months ago when the family and I were at Cold Stone Creamery getting ice cream the lady in front of us (who I'd known because she was one of my nurses during my stay in the hospital after the car accident) paid our bill. It was either shortly before that or shortly after that the same thing happened at a Starbucks somewhere in the east for about 2 hours in the drive thru.

That's a really stupid example but it's all I can come up with now. If I think of any more I'll post them.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
This is an awesome thread Marie, and the stories are so heartwarming to read!

I live in a very small town! And we only have one vehicle, so if anything needs to be done on that vehicle, I have to wait, or find a way to get back home. Since we don't really know anyone that well out here, and Dave is usually working when service hours are open, we've kinda put things off.

I stopped in at the local mechanics shop in our small town because I had a tire that kept losing air, and I needed to have the oil changed. I asked if they had any saturday hours because it was our only vehicle, and that would work best for us. He said they didn't, but he knew exactly where I lived, and he went by on his way to work. He said he would stop by our place, pick up our truck, take it to the shop to work on it, and then bring it back home for me! So whenever we need to have the oil checked or anything, I always just stop in to make the appoitment, and he picks it up right here at home for me. And whenever you go in there, he always calls you by your first name, and talks to you in a very cheerful manner. I just love it, and what a very kind thing to do!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I'm 27 and fit and healthy. However I have poor eyesight (unable to drive). Someone (a very attractive blonde girl) offered her seat to me on the bus the other night.

I declined, and if I hadn't been blushing like a school kid (she really was Hot), I would have talked to her properly. As it was I came across as a moody prat when I just muttered "I'm ok thanks". :oops:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I took a few of my homegrown tomatoes into work for a guy yesterday and asked for a couple of bucks for them.
He paid me then said " Is the money for your cats Mick"?
(I collect for my local no kill Humane Society).

When I told him it was he gave me another $5. :D

Mick.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Actually, I have proof that acts of kindness will reward when one doesn't ask for it.

My brother found some guys wallet in the supermarket when he was 10. Inside were all the guys credit cards, his medic info card, and 150 quid in cash. My bro took the wallet to the info desk, and asked them to put out an announcement (the little tyke didn't trust Asda staff to look after it!), the guy came literally running for it, and was so pleased, he gave my bro ALL of the cash! 8O My bro even said, hang on, this is too much. Apparently the bloke was serious.

·
Banned
804 Posts
when our car got stuck up on the mountain, we had to hitchike all day home. this wasnt any mountain but logging roads over an hour in and it was 5000 ft up.

there was only 1 towing company on the entire island that would risk bringing their giant towtrucks (that could handle the load of a car while taking steep gravel hills and switchbacks while avoiding doublewide logging trucks) and it was a flat rate of $500 cash to get it down the mountain (about a 5 hour drive for them)

well we had to face spending about $500 more to get it fixed and we already were at $0 on our credit card and $0 in our bank account and had no food at home to eat. so he said we could leave it at his place for 2 weeks and he would lock it up safe and sound and we could come get it when we had the money.

in two weeks when we got back to pick it up, he had fixed it for us and only charged us $85 for the part. so we brought him a case of beer as well for him and the guys

we thought we were lucky to find a guy nice enough to offer to take care of our car for us for two week...and he fixed it...

oh and did i mention they washed it too? :lol: :roll:

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
In 2004 I was dealing with a horrible flare of my medical problem when my horse ruptured a tendon and had to be euth/buried. Two different couples (close neighbor friends and horse-y friends) came over to be with us while the vet was there, both for moral support and to help.
It was a terrible euth, it went horribly wrong and was awful to witness.
I never recieved a bill and I thought the vet had decided to give me a freebie because the euth went so badly. It wasn't until two months later, as the horse-y couple was giving me a free horse, that I learned she had paid for the vet bill that day. As I cried, thanking her and trying to hug her, her little chihuahua attacked my pantleg, thinking I was 'hurting' her mommie. (didn't hurt me, or my jeans, but was sort of funny)

I have made her a costume for her horse show costume classes (won ribbons) and made her two quilts. I hope she knows how much I appreciated her help.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
We had a fire when I was in college. The house was completely gutted. The neighbors took the dog in, as he was traumatized, a fireman resuscitated one of our cats, and another neighbor allowed my youngest to stay at her house until we found housing.

My friends at the University brought in sheets and towels, and whatever else they could. Thanksgiving was approaching. We had found a house for rent that was big enough for all of us, and rented furniture. One night, on the way home from a late class, I stopped at the church to pick up my son from confirmation classes. The church steps were crowded with pots, pans, a vaccuum cleaner, towels, sheets, on and on. The congregation had provided what we needed. Then there was the envelope. There was a Giant Eagle certificate large enough to cover Thanksgiving dinner for the six of us and $250 in cash. (The pastor insisted that we take it. He said some people will not give to a cause they don't know, and their hearts had told them to help us.)

We loaded everything in my small car, and it was overflowing with its cargo of love. God is good, and sometimes that goodness rubs off on us.

I learned that year how happy an extra outlet could make a person, when it meant that we could have a Christmas tree, and my faith in humankind was affirmed. My cup runneth over.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
In January 2001 my soon to be hubby and I were living out of our car. We pulled into a town and literally went through the newspaper looking for a place to live. One of the places that we called was a church that had several rental properties. We looked at one and asked if we could rent it. They didn't know us, we didn't have references, all sorts of red flags.

They not only let us move in with our dog, but they also held onto our deposit check until we had enough money for food. We had a pile of blankets on the floor as our furniture for a couple of months, but we had a roof over our head.

I have had many acts of kindness directed toward me during my life, but this one had the most impact.

Oh, and one of the pastors married us 2 days after we got the apartment!

·
Registered
928 Posts
When I was in Africa, a couple gave me a 300 km lift in their coal truck, and dropped me off at a bus stop so I could catch a bus the rest of the way (they were going a different direction from there). Half an hour later, they came back because they realised I was waiting in the wrong spot. They could have just left me there to figure it out, but they didn't! They waited with me until I got onto the bus. I thought it was pretty kind of them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts