Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread I said that my overweight cat wiley was sick. He got a few shots of penicillin and made a full recovery. We switched him for a time to canned cat food instead of kibble and we noticed a few differences, such as crapping in the litter box instead of on the floor which he had been doing for a few years already, and he didn't pee on the floor in the bathroom which he had been occasionally doing. Now that he was switched back to kibble he once again has begun crapping on the floor and peeing on the bathroom floor. I found it interesting that his diet would make a difference, and I was also wondering if anyone had an idea why this would occur, and I also was wondering if any of you had information to help me convince my mom to switch him back to canned food.

Nathan

·
Registered
89 Posts
Canned food is better for them all around. The biggest thing for me when I switched to canned was to increase my cat's water intake. Cats don't have a thirst mechanism like we do, or like dogs, and so they rarely take the time to drink water - they get all the water they need from their "prey" or in this case what you are feeding them. Male cats are prone to urinary tract infections and bladder crystals, so the more water they get in their diet the better to flush all the bad stuff out of their system. It is also very healthy for their kidneys, and from what I have heard most cats die of kidney failure (basically because they weren't getting enough water).

This website has a lot of good info: Commercial Canned Foods by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: reading cat food labels, canned versus dry cat food. I hope you decide to completely make the switch back to canned for the health of your cat!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well, if it was me (all other things aside), the fact that your cat uses the litterbox while on canned food and doesn't go on the floor would be a game changer! Scooping a box is so much easier than cleaning the floor. :)

·
Registered
435 Posts
A canned food diet is healthier for the cat, less vet bills usually. Kibble can cause UTIs in cats who are prone to UTIs; UTIs/blockages can be life threatening, especially in male cats. And very very expensive to treat. Maybe your mother would be persuaded by that. (A raw diet is also beneficial to a cat's health and can be inexpensive, especially if you have access to butchers or farmers who raise beef, pork, rabbits, etc.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My mom is aware of those risks, and she has lost two cats to Urinary tract infections over 22 years of owning cats. She still doesn't seem convinced. I also forgot to mention, when on a canned diet he quit having diarrhea but when he was switched to kibble he got it again. The local butcher already has someone getting scraps, a man who owns 66 dogs.

Nathan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts