Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scotti's having trouble with her anal glads. :( she started twitching her rear a couple weeks back ans I kept and eye on her to see if I could figure out if it was worms or anal glads. Last night she darted scooting, so I got her an appointment with the vet tech earlier this evening to get them emptied. The vet tech confirmed they were full and pea sized. I took her home cleaned her up and now a few hours later it's still bothering her. She was sittinguncomfortably at first and I figured well i'd plbe pretty uncomfortable if it was me. But then she started scooting across our feild stone fireplace! Ouch! I scoopped her up and there seems to be scretions and a bit of blood all around her anus now.

I'll probably call the vet in the morning, but I'm really worried about her
tonight. I've locked her in the bathroom so she won't scoot on the fireplace.

X-(

Does anyone know if anal glads will continue to drain after being expressed?

Also my moms worried stress is making her scoot. I've been sick lately and moving them back and forth between my parents house and my apartment (always with me) pretty frequently. Could stress be a factor?

If so Im pretty worried. I'm leaving Monday for a 4-6 week trip and leaving her and her sister at my parents. She's rather bonded to me and hasn't spent a night with out me sense I scooped her up at 4 weeks old last may.

Any advise??

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I've never ever had any anal gland problems with my cats but it does sound like they're pretty irritated from the scooting on the fireplace.

As far as your going away for 6 wks. Is it possible for you to visit your parents several times (and take the cats with you) so that the cats will be familiar with them and their home if they are not already? That might make the transition easier. A lot depends on their personalities. If the cats are both very confident and outgoing, the transition shouldn't be a problem, but if they are shy/timid it would be better if they were kept in one room a few days to settle them down (or even to stay if there are other pets), before being given access to the whole house/apt. Just make sure it is cat proof, and what I mean by that is there are no holes a cat can crawl into and hide in the walls, that sort of thing. You'd be surprised how small a hole a cat can get into. You wouldn't want anything like that to happen, as a timid cat can be very reluctant to come out of hiding even to eat.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
I went through anal gland problems with Rookie. She was squirming and uncomfortable, and finally I noticed blood along the bottom of her tail. The vet emptied her glands and cleaned her up, and thankfully gave her some pain meds because I understand it's a very painful condition for cats.

At that time the vet said that if this happens once, it may happen again -- or not. Once they've shown they have a tendency toward it, it's something you have to watch. Vets can express anal glands if you take her in, or more likely, they'll show you how to do it so you can do it yourself at home. I've heard how awful it smells, though .... I think the vets just don't want to do it!

Anyway, it didn't happen again with Rookie after that one go-round. She did develop epilepsy a few months later, but that was unrelated to the anal gland issue. Hopefully this is a one-time thing!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had my brother take Scotti back to the vet this morning, she had wiped blood all over the bathroom last night. They said she might have a uninary tract infection and are going to give her a round of antibiotics to help with that and relieve some of the swelling and prevent any infection. They're only charging me for the antibiotics and not the visit, which makes me think the tech did something wrong or was too rough with her.

As for going away, I'm leaving Monday but the Cat's actually spent their first few months at my parents and lately I've been there about half the time (with the cats). Monday night, I was having problems so I moved with the cats back to my parents. We decided since I'm leaving just few days, I'm just going to stay there with the cats until I leave. Foster's very comfortable there, it's just Scotti I'm worried about, she just seems so attached to me, she follows me everywhere when I'm home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts