Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry this question is pretty gross. My 11 month old cat, Bea, has been really smelly lately. Last night when she was sleeping in my bed, she started smelling horribly and when I checked the sheets there were little, smelly brown stains. Could this be some kind of anal gland problem? She's not overweight and she has been eating Natural Balance and Trader Joe's brand wet food.

Thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think I've ever seen her scoot on the carpet or on my bed. She grooms herself down there a lot, but so does my other cat who doesn't seem to have this problem. I've never had a cat before these two so I don't know if this is something that just happens from time to time or if it's abnormal.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
You may be right that it's her anal glands, because I've heard people say how awful the smell is from that liquid. The real problem is when their anal glands get blocked and they can't express that liquid on their own. In our first cat's case, she "blew" an opening through her skin with anal fluid and blood coming out when her ducts were blocked. It's a terribly painful condition for them.

There is such a thing as taking her to the vet and having them express her anal glands. I have a friend who does this for her dog every month. Be prepared that the vet will encourage you to learn to do it at home -- which I'm convinced is because they don't want to smell that smell either!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
You can learn to express them yourself if your cat is okay about you handling her bottom. I can express my dog's anal glands, but I wouldn't be able to express my cat's.

It does sound like that could be a possibility. In that case, it's best to take her to the vet to have it expressed.

In the future, you can observe her poop. Normally, anal glands are expressed naturally whenever they have a poop. However, if the poop is soft for a long time, then the anal glands won't get that 'push' from the pressure of the poop. So the fluid will get stopped up inside. It can also be hereditary as well.

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Once my cats anal gland, or both of them (can't remember now!), burst. I was really worried about her, but she hasn't had anything like that happen since, and it's been 5+ years.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I know I'm obsessed with the pumpkin :p but I read that it was supposed to help with that too. SOmething about the fiber making larger/firmer stools and helping to express the anal gland with bowel movements.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts