Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so tonight i noticed two little spots of what looked like anal leakage on the carpet. didn't know who did it the first time, so i shrugged it off. the second time, i saw Tyson "sweeping" by it, as if covering it with kitty litter (which obviously wasn't there). it looked like some sort of watery butt discharge -- i know i've read a lot about diarrhea lately on the forum, but i think his stool has been pretty solid in general lately. any idea what this leakage could be caused by? he's a pretty ravenous eater, no change in his eating patterns or energy level at all.

soo... i'm confused. any thoughts from anyone? i'd appreciate any input on this issue.

EDITED: Dr. Jean -- could this be caused by the vaseline that i've been giving to him periodically? i remember that you said it helped with hairballs -- could it be such a laxative that it would result in this form of discharge? just a thought.

thanks,
brite

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Good observation! The 2 wet (extremely stinky) spots could just be from his anal glands. It's ok, not usually scary worry unless you see swelling and redness, then his glands are impacted. Examine his rear closely after reading the link below to see if you need to get him to the vet or just observe for now.

Anal glands common ailments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the quick response, superkitties! will definitely read over that doc carefully and keep my eyes peeled in the next few weeks. i thought it was just kinda cute how he tried to cover it up -- we had a house guest at the time and she thought it was adorable & smart of him =P

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Glad I could help! That is VERY cute that he tried to cover it up. They just do the most adorable things and I can't get upset about a bit of poo or stinky leak on the carpet, just gotta bust out the steam cleaner (best thing I bought).

Mozart also has the occasional tiny leak, kinda watery, and GEEZ, stinks to high heaven. He seems to know when he's leaked, cause he won't sit down, he'll do a lovely pass right by my face so I'll wipe it for him. Gives me a chance to look closely too to make sure nothing's wrong. He's prone to constipation so I really have to watch him.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awww... that's so cute. I tried looking at Tyson's butt but he wouldn't let me. He's still young (7 months) so it'll take time before he starts dealing with more "rules".

And yay! A fellow Californian in the forum -- now I don't feel like a weirdo for being on late at night here on the west coast!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm... curious thing this morning. Tyson's stool seemed softer when he went. Went to go wipe his butt, nothing really there. I'll monitor for the rest of the day... just wanted to update for those who may have feedback for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts