Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She's finally fillling out and putting on weight, though her hips still jut out and her ribs are more prominent than I would like.

It's rough having all these babies to take care of...

Scully modeling her brand new colllar

I got a plate tage that rivets to the collar so there was no dangling thing to attract the kittens (I had to remove the bell too; she didn't realize she was the one ringing, and was having spazz attacks around my room)

Got her some toys today, but I think she was more interested in the Wal-Mart bag

Out of all the toys, she likes the crinkly, catnip mouse the best:

attack kitty...

·
Registered
465 Posts
She's so pretty! It's unusual to see a female orange tabby.

*stops myself from going into the genetics of why it's unusual*

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
There are at least 5 females that look like this kitty in our feral colony :D

·
Registered
465 Posts
ioana said:
There are at least 5 females that look like this kitty in our feral colony :D
Wow, that's pretty cool. They must all be related...

The reason more males than females are orange is that the gene for being orange is on the X chromosome. So males are orange if they inherit it from just one parent - the mother. But because females have two X chromosomes, they have to get the gene for orange from BOTH parents, because orange and black, both of which are on the X chromosome, are co-dominant, that is, they blend when both are present. So a female has to get orange on both X's in order to be orange. If she gets one orange and one black, she's a tortoiseshell. One orange and one black plus a white spotting gene (which is separate... on a different chromosome)... then she's a calico. That's why only females can be torties or calicos, unless there's a mutation where a male gets two X chromosomes, so instead of being XY, they're XXY (it's called nondisjunction). So anyway, it would make sense that if there's one orange female, there are five, because they keep passing on the orange gene to their offspring, and then if there are orange males, too, they pass the gene down, and there's another orange daughter.

See why I stopped myself the first time? I'm waaaay too interested in feline coat color genetics... so sorry to change the subject, back to admiring Scully, who is gorgeous!!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
That is very interesting, Jill. Are you a vet or studying to become one - you are certainly inclined :wink:
Orange is the dominant color in the colony. There are a few white ones with blue eyes - Frosty's littermates (up to 4 I think - big litter I know + Frosty and his brotehr 6 8O ). Only a couple of greys and blacks. But out of the 40 (50?) cats 70% are orange

Yes Scully is a very sweet looking kitty!

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if there is any way to tell what the kitten's father might have looked like. She has a orange tabby male, a buff tabby male(hey, I got the term right - he only has partial tabby markings: solid cream back with stripes on legs and tail), a gray tabby female (who too has partial tabby markings: solid gray back with stripes on legs, tail, and face), and a tortoiseshell female.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I also wonder if more than one male can father one female's babies? Does anybody have any input on that matter?

·
Registered
465 Posts
ioana said:
That is very interesting, Jill. Are you a vet or studying to become one - you are certainly inclined :wink:
Well, I'm actually a sophomore in high school :D But I would like to become a vet someday - actually I'm torn between becoming a vet and becoming an astronomer - I know, very random. The problem with being a vet is that I have a tendency to faint at the sight of blood (it's happened 6 times... once in biology class :D). But I just applied for a job as an assitant in a vet's office, so I'll see what it's like and maybe get over my "fear" of blood.

The reason I know about feline coat color genetics is that I did a research paper on that topic last year. I got really into it - it ended up being 3 pages over the 5 page minimum! (and one page over the 7 page maximum... thankfully I had an understanding teacher)

spacemonkey said:
I wonder if there is any way to tell what the kitten's father might have looked like. She has a orange tabby male, a buff tabby male(hey, I got the term right - he only has partial tabby markings: solid cream back with stripes on legs and tail), a gray tabby female (who too has partial tabby markings: solid gray back with stripes on legs, tail, and face), and a tortoiseshell female.
Hmm... it's very tough to tell, because there are so many genes that "mask" other genes... for example, the white spotting gene - some all-white cats are actually very different in genetic makeup, but they got the white spotting gene and it ends up turning them completely white (rare, but it happens).

But as for the father... well, he has the black gene on his X chromosome (otherwise there could be no tortoiseshell kitten), so he could be a black cat if another gene didn't mask it (though I think that the black gene on the X chromosome masks most other genes). The orange tabby male tells nothing about the father - he got the orange gene on the X chromosome from his mom, and no coat color genes are found on the Y. Not so sure about the buff tabby and grey tabby... I'm not too good with the variations on tabby markings. So I guess he's probabaly a black cat, as I *think* that the black gene will mask other ones. But I'm not positive.

·
Registered
465 Posts
ioana said:
I also wonder if more than one male can father one female's babies? Does anybody have any input on that matter?
Actually, yes! So there could be several fathers... that would explain having a grey tabby and a tortie in the same litter... I had forgotten that when writing my last post, hadn't seen yours yet...

edit: phrasing

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's funny you should mention that, because I had heard of that too. Having more than one "dad" could also explain why little tortie is smaller than her siblings, right? I had heard that runts were often the result of multiple matings, so that makes sense now.

As a side note, Scully has undergone quite the transformation over the last 24 hours. As my mom put it, "She seems to finally feel she's wanted." Maybe it's the toys, or a warm spot to sleep, or an unlimited supply of food, or even the collar (once she stopped pouting about it). She's now started looking at us when we talk to her (even responding to her name)seeking out attention, wanting to play, wanting to interact, even letting me hold her this morning and relaxing in my arms.

We think maybe she was once someones pet that got kicked out when she became pregant (this is just a sense, she doesn't seem like a 100% stray), so I don't know if she was nervous about us doing the same. She's remained aloof and nervous, and now she has finally started to relax. :D

·
Registered
205 Posts
Scully is so pretty!!

My cats LOVE the brand of toy she was playing with too! My 3 year old cat would only play with those kitty hoot toys and nothing else, till we brought our new kitten home...now he wants to play with whatever she plays with!

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Couldn't the dad be a brown/black tabby as well? I guess it doesn't matter since there could have been multiple matings...it's so tough to tell.

Sorry to get off the subject, but...catobsessed, since you know so much about the subject, and I'm too lazy to look it up, any idea about Mia and Jack's parents? Jack is a black smoke, and Mia is a shaded silver patched tabby. Her patches are cream, not red. She's such a little misfit. :lol:

·
Registered
465 Posts
ForJazz said:
Sorry to get off the subject, but...catobsessed, since you know so much about the subject, and I'm too lazy to look it up, any idea about Mia and Jack's parents? Jack is a black smoke, and Mia is a shaded silver patched tabby. Her patches are cream, not red. She's such a little misfit. :lol:
I feel like I'm hijacking spacemonkey's thread - could you start a new one? :oops: Or I'll just PM you.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
PM please. :oops: Sorry! Sully and kittens are gorgeous, as always. I like how I can count on new pics all the time, it's like we get to see them grow up. :) Does your camera take video? :twisted:

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know. It's not actually my camera, I'm borrowing it from my mom's office (they're such softies; as long as she keeps sending them kitten pics, they let us hang on to the camera :D ). Having the kittens has now made me want to look into a nicer digital camera, I'm not too thrilled with the quality of this one, but oh well...I'll look into the video thing.

Even for me, whose been with the kittens since day 1, it's amazing to go back and see how much they've changed. Whoa! I swear, they're going to be huge by the time I get back Sunday (at which point I will post lots of pictures, of course).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts