Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 years ago, my mom started feeding and taking care of an outside kitty, Tobi, who was previously fed and taken care of by the neighbour for 8 years before she moved She believed he was already an adult when she started feeding him, so we estimate Tobi to be at least 12 years old. He lived outside but came inside to sleep/eat/drink and most importantly, cuddle. He is extremely friendly with humans but fights all of the other outside cats. 3 weeks ago, my mom started to notice he wasn't eating as much as he used to (he was quite gluttonous). She is not really knowledgeable about cats and figured he lost a bit of his appetite because of the heat, as we humans do. But this week, he went missing for 26 hours and he came bac extremely weak and dehydrated so my parents took him to the city and we brought him to my vet yesterday. She took blood, treated an eye infection he already had that was not completely gone and rehydrated him (under the skin as we could not afford to have him hospitalized).

Back home (I set up a room for him in my apartment), he ate a tiny bit of a/d and drank twice since last afternoon. We got the results today and turns out he has anemia and they are going to test his blood for parasites, we will hear back on monday. FIV/leukemia was negative. So we have antibiotics and another kind of pill to boost up his immune system, as well as a syringe for water. He is really unwell, barely capable of walking. He just lays on the floor and sleeps and his breathing is quity heavy and a bit noisy. He looks like he is about to die :( We are extremely sad and doing everything we can, but it looks like the end. The vet did not mention that his condition was fatal, we still have hope that as soon as the antibiotics kick in he will regain his appetite and thirst and will get better. In the meanwhile we will bring him back to the vet on monday for another round of fluids and results for blood parasite.

How long has it taken for you cat to get better/start eating again? Does Tobi stand a chance even though he is old?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am so sorry about Tobi. Your mom and her neighbor took care of him for a very long time. He knew to come to your mom for help and both of you did all that you could.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I'm glad I got to take care of him while he was ill. My kitty Minoune woke us up early this morning, she was meowing at his door she knew he had just passed. We just buried him in the yard he loved to sleep in, with a rose bush on top.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts