Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This girl worries me. She now works inside Petsmart, not at a vet's, but not FOR Petsmart. She is also recommending Royal Canin as one of Petsmart's five best foods. Last month she raked me over the coals for saying I had never heard of it being called a third rate catfood. She is not an expert on nutrition, but she has most of our members thinking she is the final word. Many are so afraid they are damaging their pets by not feeding according to her "lists." These lists change periodically, and the site she cites suggests that you not buy any cat food, but make up your own formula. In such a specialized field such as nutrition I'd leave it to the experts! But she has many members believing that cat food companies are paying to have nutrition classes for students of veterinary medicine. That would cause a huge scandal. She just drives me crazy! SCREEEECH! (Jeanie, losing it.)

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Jeanie said:
She now works inside Petsmart, not at a vet's, but not FOR Petsmart.
what does she mean by this? i don't get it.

Jeanie said:
She is also recommending Royal Canin as one of Petsmart's five best foods. Last month she raked me over the coals for saying I had never heard of it being called a third rate catfood.
i remember well jeanie. it's hard to keep track of her opinions. i have been looking for an objective source on cat foods. i have yet to find a good one.

·
Premium Member
28,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no idea what she means by "in Petsmart," but not for Petsmart. However, I remember when she and Zalensia jumped on a girl who worked for a pet store (part of an internship in marketing, I believe) and accused her of trying to make sales. I remember asking them to be polite. So, if Angel is working FOR Petsmart, she certainly wouldn't want us to know.

The problem with nutrution is that there is so much disagreement, even among experts. Too much protein, according to some, is quite bad. My vet said never to feed a cat all moist food. Other people, such as Angel, tell people wet food is best. There are trace elements in cat foods that we would never know were necessary. However, knowing that the food has been given a seal of approval by a a reputable organization and being aware of the byproducts that we don't want-such as ground up beaks, etc. and too much filler or ash can help us to make intelligent decisions without the help of a self-proclaimed expert who has no specialized education. Regardless of her opinion of vets, I value their opinions. Her last big push at another site was for the BARF Diet.

My concern is that our members are ignoring their vets and listening to a young girl who has a serious mental illness and has been banned from several sites for causing trouble and insulting members. I'm trying not to answer her posts, but make sure I read all of them--just in case. Perhaps a disclaimer should be posted early in every nutrition thread. I'm afraid the members think she is speaking as an expert for the forum. I wish you good luck. It's a complicated subject. I've been reading quite a few articles, and the more I learn the more I think the subject needs much expertise.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Jeanie said:
I have no idea what she means by "in Petsmart," but not for Petsmart. However, I remember when she and Zalensia jumped on a girl who worked for a pet store (part of an internship in marketing, I believe) and accused her of trying to make sales. I remember asking them to be polite. So, if Angel is working FOR Petsmart, she certainly wouldn't want us to know.
i remember that episode too :?

Jeanie said:
The problem with nutrution is that there is so much disagreement, even among experts...... Perhaps a disclaimer should be posted early in every nutrition thread.

we can post a sticky titled "Cat Food". Pointing out that you should consult your vet before changing you cat’s diet, etc.. and that nutrition is a very complicated subject.

would you like to write one up? :)

·
Premium Member
28,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So do I. I have never been able to give up a pet for any reason. When I raised collies I could not keep the pick of the litter because that would have meant giving up every dog that didn't finish its championship. So, I limited myself to a very few animals and a short period of breeding and showing, and kept my beloved pets-the same with the Siamese cats.

Angel, I believe, is intelligent. She often goes off her meds and refuses medical help. She also goes on sprees concerning diets, etc. It's a sad case, but I completely agree with her. I would never give up a pet for such a petty reason. I want to word a response in as kind a way possible. Otherwise, Shirrell will do exactly what she has stated and leave with bad feelings. If we're kind and still get across our points, we might change her mind. My mother moved out of a house on the spot when she was told her cat had to go. That's the way I feel about it. I'd be happier in a shack with my pets than in a mansion alone. (No, I'm not in a shack!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts