Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
Are her legs really that short? She looks ... ADORABLE!
I really love that first pic ... she's a kitty checkin' out her new digs, standing kind of both crouched/tall at the same time (I call that a position of 'readiness'), her tail flies at half-mast and sort of sways side to side and her head cranked as high as it can go so she can see everything there is to see.
She makes me want to pick her up and snuggle my nose right into the fur over her shoulders.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She does have pretty short legs, at least compared to Fern and Fergie.... I bet their daddy was a very tall white cat, considering how little orange the girls have when their mom has so much. I've seen pics of the 3 boys in the litter and they're also mostly white too!

·
Super Moderator
26,401 Posts
She is so gorgeous!!! She's going to find out very soon what a great home she just landed in.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
She is gorgeous. Sorry if I missed it somewhere else but how old is she? I have my fingers crossed for a smooth introduction for you all and here's hoping she can enjoy her new spoiled life with her daughters soon. :)

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Very beautiful kitty! Adoorable expression! she almost looks like a "Munchkin" breed with her short legs, or is it the camera angle?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She's estimated to be between 4 1/2 and 5 years old.... She was found in a garage with her 5 kittens, so I know how old my first two are within a week, but we're not 100% sure with Anissa. Since cats seem to have their first litter at about a year old, maybe a year and a half, that's where we get the estimate.

I think it's just the angle that makes her look a little like a munchkin... She's got noticeably shorter legs than her daughters, but not so short that I think she's part munchkin. She has not spent a lot of time standing tall yet, as she's been exploring and somewhat hesitant when she hears the other two on the other side of the door.

Anissa is totally ready to come out, but I know Fern and Fergie have to be ready to meet her face to face. They still hiss every time we crack the door and Anissa comes close. Anissa, thankfully, will only hiss when hissed at, so I think she'll be fine!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fergie managed to get in the room today, snuck around me while I was heading in.... 8-O We didn't want to freak out either cat so we watched to see what would happen. She stopped just inside the room and STARED at Anissa on the other side, then very slowly worked her way across. She wasn't stalking, she was doing that walk where kitty is standing tall but reaching out hesitantly with each step and extremely focused on the goal. Anissa just sat on the window ledge and watched her come, and didn't look too concerned. Fergie got to about three feet away and started to growl, which is when hubby picked her up to see if that would calm her down. She barely noticed and kept up a low growl, that kind of moaning angry sound they make sometimes, so he took her out of the room then. I stayed with Anissa and she seemed fine, and Fergie calmed down once she was away from the room.

Any thoughts on this? I've never done a kitty intro before so I don't know if this reaction is good, bad, or what. We've just had hissing when we've cracked the door and they get to sniff each other. Does that go away eventually or do you sometimes just have to let them get face to face and hiss it out?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Aww, how cute! My old cat's loved boxes, at least one of them did. When we got out a board game he would try to lay down in the box whether from REALLY small or REALLY big.

·
Registered
12,673 Posts
Well, I don't think that was a very good sign for right now ... but I don't think it is hopeless, either.
It only tells me that the intro will need to be slower.
Keep on doing the door-crack-thing, offer praise and food treats near each other. Maybe see if Fern would be a better kitty for the 1st-contact intro? I use Louie and Floofy as my 1st-contact intros to big cats w/ foster kittens because they are so accepting and laid back. The kitts can hiss/growl and Floo and Lou don't even bat an eye, just continue w/ whatever they were doing as the kitts follow along behind them, trying to get close enough for a sniff.

I used a completely different tactic when I intro'd 10mo old Skippyjon Jones to our herd. (and in thinking about it, this is also how we intro'd the adult still-partially feral and recently neutered tomcat to our housecats) We placed the new cat in a cage. The Wanderer was in a home-made hutch to contain him with his broken leg and Skippyjon was placed in a large wire dog-crate. He had a hooded litterbox, cat bed, shelf and a sheet draped over half of the crate for privacy and an area he could retreat to while the housecats could see him and interact, or not, according to everyone's desires. W/in 3 days, Skippyjon was OUT and getting to know the housecats and our home.

I'll post pics:

One week later...and I wish you the same success w/ your kitty-family.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts