Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi catforum,

as I've mentioned on other threads, I really a first time cat owner. I have been the "step parent" so to speak for cats in previous relationships, but the two cats we have are my first full time cats.

I'm worried because Marcie, my 2 year old cat that I adopted from the shelter is not eating well. I'm not sure if it's normal for an adult cat to eat very small amounts...But Marcie hasn't had more than a couple mouth fulls of kibble or a quarter serving of wet food in a day.

She came to live with us on Friday afternoon. She lived in the shelter for approx 1 year prior, and was happy and well adjusted there.

Is it just stress? Am I an overly worried mum? Is she unhappy here? Should she be taken to a vet?

She begs for food, and acts interested, but never actually eats the food. She even turned down tuna fish, which I thought was a cat favorite.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Definitely I would say a trip to the vet, it could be a problem with her teeth or her gums or she may have something in her throat. She could just be taking some time to settle in but I'd definitely rule out any medical issues first. Hope she's okay!!!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Yes, she needs a vet checkup anyway. But are you feeding her the same thing she was eating at the shelter? I would keep her food the same for a few weeks and then transition her to whatever you are wanting her to eat. I'm sure part of it it stress.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advice. Marcie ate quite a bit of food today! I'm so happy! She was crying and begging in the kitchen so I fed her, and she licked the plate clean and then begged for more :)

I will be monitoring her closely. If she doesn't continue eating well I'm definitely taking her to the vet.

I am trying to feed her what the shelter suggested was the favorite wet food of the cats at the shelter. However, there's no way of knowing what they actually ate on a daily basis, because the majority of the food is either donated or purchased in bulk with coupons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.