Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thank you for listening to my issue. Obviously I have tried various tactics without success. It is ruining my life and wallet so I found this forum.

Details:
My 5-year old female cat(spayed) regularly pee/marks my sofa.
I live with 2 more cats who do not have any problems. All are indoors.
The sofa is fabric.
I have 3 different covers which I put over the sofa and routinely wash.
She pees on it an average of every 3 days.
Countermeasures: disciplining her when I see her doing it in front of me(verbally, water spray, light physical), removing her from the living room, spraying it with some "anti-cat" fragrance, cuddling together with her on the sofa so she sees its as a place that I use.
After years of the constant urination even the cover sheets do not protect it 100% and the sofa has absorbed a lot of the smell and coloration.
I cannot wash it so I have to throw it out and buy something new.

So basically I want to ask:
1) If anyone has gone through the same thing and how did they handle it?
2) What type of material will turn a cat off such behaviour or desire to mark/pee on a sofa? I don't want to spend thousands on a new leather sofa just to go through the same ordeal again.
3) Are there any other methods of changing this behaviour? She goes to the litter box properly but it feels like she "wants" to pee on the sofa despite knowing that there is no benefit of doing it \. I have other cats who sleep on that sofa so I don't want to lock them out for her sake.

So that has been my life for the last 5 years!If anyone can offer any insight that would be much appreciated!

The culprit is the fat on on the top left. The 3 are on the sofa with a blanket and the brown thing is the cover.

*Edit: All 3 are rescue street cats from around my neighborhood. The culprit was rescued at 4 months old (the other 2 hand raised from infancy), so she has had proper "street cat" mentality and lifestyle and is super jittery/wary of humans. I sometimes feel her way of thinking is still very untamed and wild, despite being very affectionate sometimes. Not sure why but I feel she has had a lot of trauma and her many unexplainable/weird behaviour may be related to that street survival period.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Early training of kittens is very important......they learn from their momacat where to pee/poop, how to play nice, how to control their bite and claws, how to read cat body language, and this stage lasts 3 mos. Kittens missing out on this phase often don't learn or do so or very slowly as older kittens and cats. So that's the reason why she is doing it and your other two that that were hand raised are using litter box consistently. Her scent on the blanket and sofa isn't helping, as most cats don't like peeing on leather. I would get ride of the sofa. Before you get a new sofa, II suggest you get a large dog crate (2nd hand ones that aren't too expensive), feed her food in it and have a litter box. Give her house freedom when you're there to observe her, but put her in the crate if you can't. Try and play with her more with a wand toy to relieve her of any anxiety until she's tired of playing. Put catnip on her toys. Get her a secure harness and take her out for little walks when weather is nice, if you have a secure fairly quiet backyard. Let her lead you where she wants to go, don't drag her. If she's too nervous being outside, and she wants to go back in, take her in if she isn't enjoying the fresh air different scents. Feed her treats in her crate, and she'll soon know it's her secure place where good things happen if you're consistant with feeding her there. Clean her litter box twice a day. At some point you may try and let her out to see if she pees on a leather sofa. I hope some of these suggestions can make a difference in her behavior......all the best! and would appreciate an update.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts