Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new cat tree (just like Jessie's) arrived today too. I covered it in catnip, Kobi wasn't much interested after the initial sniff. Maggie spent a little time checking it out. As did Holly. Then they went about their business. But Holly came back later and discovered the high perches (the last 2 pics). I think they'll all get to like it, just need to get used to it...

·
Super Moderator
26,387 Posts
Another great tree - LOVE the second picture! :D

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They're still not real interested in it, but they did seek out all the treats I put on it this afternoon. And Holly tried to climb up the sisal posts to the level with the little house on it. She didn't make it, but it was cool watching her. She'll get it yet.

coaster said:
That's sure tall!! It looks like it's over six feet. 8O
I haven't measured, but it was advertised as 6 ft. even. Holly has played up on the top 2 perches, she likes the toys hanging off them. Kobi went up there for treats and came right back down. Maggie has gone as high as the second highest perch, but hasn't ventured to the top yet...and she was the one that figured would love it up there...she's always on top of the kitchen cabinets.

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the tree is getting more & more use, mostly by Holly, but Kobi & Maggie are warming up to it too.

Came in from outside yesterday to find this little cutie made herself at home:

Holly loves the toys that hang from it, she already broke one of the loops that they're tied to, I had to get out the staple gun to fix it:

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Has she tried chewing on the string yet? Once Mew and Isis found out they could chew on the elastic string, the toys were dead in ten minutes :?

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She chewed on the tail of the string that was hanging off, so I clipped it. She's chewed the rest a bit, but for the most part she's been pretty good after the initial episode.

·
Super Moderator
26,387 Posts
Wow! Great shot of Maggie's gorgeous eyes! :love2

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So...this morning I get up and there is nothing but elastic hanging from one perch on the cat tree and the toy is on the floor. But she continued to play with the elastic. :roll:

Guess I'm going to have to find toys with stronger elastic or something that I can easily replace the elastic on.

The good news is that Holly really likes the tree...she's napping on the second highest perch right how.

·
Banned
12,199 Posts
Just ditch the little balls, Lisa. I cut those off my cat tree because I knew they wouldn't last long and I didn't want anyone chewing on and possibly swallowing string while I wasn't around. :(

Cats! :roll: They'll head right for whatever might hurt them. :?

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know....but she loves them and is having a blast. I need to find her some sort of safer alternative....

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
We had a furry mouse tied on a string on our cat tree, and Bob loved to use it like a pillow. I woke up the other morning to find the mouse skin 8O on the floor- not sure who was responsible for THAT. We need to get a new one for poor Bob- I saw him playing with the string that was hanging there looking rather forlorn.

Other than that situation I have found that the toys last longer if they are not a elastic, or anything that stretches. Of course, they aren't quite as much fun, but the kids still play with them.

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I'll hit the fabric store, maybe I can find a heavier grade of elastic that I can sew on to a toy. I'm thinking something resembling a very thin bungie cord...

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I got a similar tree from the same manufacturer when Chester was 4 months old. It has those same puffball toys on an elastic string. I got 3 of them total and within 2 days, Chester, that naughty little 4 month old kitten destroyed all of them. I actually watched him break one them. He had the puffball in his mouth and just kept pulling on it until the elastic broke. I would just get rid of them personally. They are cheap and could potentially harm your babies (either swallowing the string or some of the toy or getting snapped by the elastic).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts