Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My first post here and it is a poopy one. :lol:

We adopted a 9mth old Aby kitten 2 mths ago. He had solid stool the first couple days and then it turned loose. He also has bright red blood streaked thru it.

We took him to the vet right away and they treated him with an Antibiotic and did a worming even though nothing showed in the fecal test. The stool is tan colored and VERY smelly!
The Cattery tested positive for coccidia so we treated for 5-10? days with Albon. He is eating Hill's Z/D diet. No improvement.

Suspected Giardia (sp)so he was put on Flagl(sp?) and his stool smell improved a bit, but the diarrhea is still present. Now the stool smells like stagnant water when it has been sitting for a few days. I also see tiny lighter colored dots all over in his stool.
Vet referred us to a U of M hospital.

Any thoughts? Breeder thinks it is a resistant strain of either cocc or girdia. Vet said Inflammatory bowel syndrome.

He had a Chem panel and CBC drawn and waiting for results. FIV and Leukemia negative.

Thank you

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bactravet

Hi,You might want to ask your vet about using Bactravet instead of Albon-it seems to work better in resistant cases.Also sometimes cocci needs to be treated several time before imporvment is seen.I would try a bland diet for at least a month to give the digestive tract time to heal-it can take that long to see any real healing.If it is irratable bowel syndrome the bland diet will show marked improvment.Good luck and keep me updated on how the little one is doing.Marla

1 - 2 of 2 Posts