Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh my word! This is going to sound so old fashioned and cliche but I never thought I would see the day.

Over the weekend our local gas prices went up to $4.04 for regular, $4.11 for premium and I didn't even bother to pay attention to the price of the better quality gasoline.

One thing I thought of when I saw this is thank the good Lord I work from home! My car barely gets driven; on average, about 40 miles a month. I honestly don't know what I would do, or we would do as a family, if we lived in a more metro area with a longer drive to and from work and longer distances to just about anything we need. I'm thankfully 5 minutes from the mall, 2 blocks from a grocery store, maybe 8 minutes to church and Ken is about 5 minutes from work. The longest either of us have to drive in a day is about 10 miles to drop the kids off at daycare on the other end of town.

Ken and I were just talking yesterday about how when I began driving 18 years ago gas was at just a little over $1 a gallon; $1.09 seems to stick in my mind. Even just 3 years ago when our kids were born it was $1.89 and I can remember everybody having a cow over the prices then. In just 3 years the price of gas has gone up over 200%.

How are things where you're at?

Edited misspelled word

·
Super Moderator
18,399 Posts
I know, I'm very thankful that I'm working at home now. I put gas in my car on April 1, May 10 & June 7. But I don't think I'll make it to July this time as I went somewhere on Sat that was a little over a 100 miles round trip.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Still half the price of the UK (if my maths is right..)

1 US gallon is about 3.7 Litres. Here it's about 1.20/L So that's £4.44 per US gal.

So that's 8.77 USD....

That can't be right...

·
Super Moderator
26,401 Posts
My cheap little ghetto gas station went up $.50/gallon in three weeks! I'm sure when I leave my house today, it'll be at LEAST $4.59. :evil:

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
...Our cheapest is $4.35, most of them are $4.40's, $4.50s...

I am trying not to exceed 60 to 62 miles per hour on the freeway to improve mileage, although everyone else is going 70+ around me!

:( Fran

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Huge said:
Still half the price of the UK (if my maths is right..)

1 US gallon is about 3.7 Litres. Here it's about 1.20/L So that's £4.44 per US gal.

So that's 8.77 USD....

That can't be right...
I bet it is. People in the UK would give their right arm for US gas prices. Theres absolutely no excuse for us paying so much - we just have a extremely greedy government taxing us to the eyeballs.

But of course its all relative. If anything you depend on (like gas in the car) suddenly starts increasing rapidly in price, its going to hit hard, regardless of how much it costs compared to other countries.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Huge said:
So that's 8.77 USD....

That can't be right...
I saw your post and my eyes bulged out, so I wanted to check the math myself.

1 US gallon = 3.78 liters. At $1.20 Euros per liter translates $4.54116 Euros or $7.107 US dollars per US gallon. 8O Not that it's any of my business but I sure hope that Britains are making more $ per hour comparatively than we do in the US to offset some of the cost of gasoline.

·
Super Moderator
26,401 Posts
melysion said:
People in the UK would give their right arm for US gas prices.
As long as they don't put that in writing. :D

·
Banned
804 Posts
hey.....right now we're paying roughly $5.80 per US Gallon for REGULAR lol its evil what they are doing to us. especially living in Vancouver where you burn so much gas stopping and starting in traffic

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
2kids3cats4me said:
1 US gallon = 3.78 liters. At $1.20 Euros per liter translates $4.54116 Euros or $7.107 US dollars per US gallon. 8O Not that it's any of my business but I sure hope that Britains are making more $ per hour comparatively than we do in the US to offset some of the cost of gasoline.
I have no idea. All I know is the UK seems to be one of the highest taxed countries in the world at the moment (I say 'seems' because I dont know that in practice - its just feels that way :lol:)

We have always paid much more for our gas than you guys have. Its possibly down to a supply thing but I dont know enough about it to comment further.

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
2kids3cats4me said:
Huge said:
So that's 8.77 USD....

That can't be right...
I saw your post and my eyes bulged out, so I wanted to check the math myself.

Oh - just noticed you used Euros. We aren't in Euroland over here - we still use the British pound and I think the pound is stronger than the Euro at the moment ;)

Here we go - one British pound = $1.9744
One Euro = $1.5650

EDIT: Sorry - i seem to have stolen the thread. Please feel free to ignore me :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
A huge difference of course is the fact that outside of the larger cities there are no alternatives to a car that are workable for most people in this country. Mass public transportation (cable car, light rail, subway, etc.) was killed in the United States in the 1920s after the arrival of the automobile (on purpose - an apparent collaboration between Ford Company and the mayors of cities all across the country).

Last summer I had our teenage son take a bus across town to go to a summer martial arts program every afternoon - it took him two hours one way with transfers to go the distance a car could do in twenty minutes. Can you imagine trying to get to a job that way?

Fran

·
Banned
5,533 Posts
Fran said:
Last summer I had our teenage son take a bus across town to go to a summer martial arts program every afternoon - it took him two hours one way with transfers to go the distance a car could do in twenty minutes. Can you imagine trying to get to a job that way?

Fran
It takes me an hour to get to work every day on the bus. Thats two hours commute a day. I don't drive and cant imagine having the funds to run a car, let alone put gas in it. Many of my work colleagues face similar commutes, if not longer. Before I moved to where I am now, my commute took an hour and a half, one way.

Most people in the UK do actually use cars rather than public transport so our huge gas prices really hurt people. Admitedly, public transport is probably much better over here than in the US but its still pants and - especially in regards to trains - far too expensive. It would cost me much less to travel up to my mothers by car than by the train I do catch (although it would take me much longer so its simply not feasible anyway). Of course i still wouldnt have the money for the day to day running of a car (road tax, insurance, parking permits, gas, congestion charge ...) and I would need to learn how to drive first :lol: .London is slightly different of course - the road network is so congested and - thanks to the congestiion charge in the City - I cant see how its practical for people to have a car in London. Amazingly, people still use them. Goodness only knows why. Although having said that, the tube is very expensive too (and horribly overcrowded - and unpleasant, particularly in the summer - yuk). Hence why I take the bus. At least that way I get to breathe fresh air (even if I have had my purse - i.e. pocketbook - stolen twice while on the bus recently).

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
melysion said:
EDIT: Sorry - i seem to have stolen the thread. Please feel free to ignore me :lol:
No prob! I stand corrected. I did realize you use the British pound but wasn't thinking when I punched in the conversions.

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
We know that the oil companies and pharmaceutical companies are gorging themselves on the money of those who can't afford it. We have to do something, as there is no reason for them to stop. Our best bet is to write to our senators and representatives. They have something to lose..our votes.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
They have something even bigger to loose though. The Oil Dollar. Ok so not all of them are in bed with the petol companies, but a lot are. It's the same here.

·
Super Moderator
26,401 Posts
There is actually a recording at my gas station sympathizing with their customers and stating that they only make about $.11 profit per gallon.

Puhleeze!!!!! :roll:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jeanie said:
That might very well be true. Gas station owners make their money on other products and services. However, the big oil men are millionaires. :(
I agree. I don't think the gas station owners are making off any better through this situation at all.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts