Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090115/hl ... 0115154721

I don't usually take a lot of "medical" studies to heart because the results are so easily influenced by whoever is funding the study. However, I love coffee! :lol: A while back a study came out saying that a few cups of coffee daily (3 to 4, I think??) showed positive results in lowering blood sugar levels as well.

Yes! Just another excuse for me to wake up "with Folger's in my cup!" :wink:

·
Super Moderator
26,519 Posts
I've never drank coffee. Can't stand the taste, even coffee-flavored anything!

But hot cocoa? Addict! 8O

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
marie73 said:
even coffee-flavored anything
That reminds me of something my Dad ate a lot of when I was a kid and he got me hooked on them. There are those hard candies called Nips. My Dad was always sucking on the coffee-flavored ones. Before my many trips to Minneapolis for doctor appointments I remember him buying boxes of them, cracking them open as soon as we got in the car, and sucking on them most of the way to Minneapolis. That as well as sunflower seeds and Good & Plenty licorice candies.

·
Super Moderator
26,519 Posts
My Dad was also a Nips fan when he was trying to quit smoking!

·
Premium Member
28,619 Posts
My sister and I used to reach under our pillows every morning, because the faeries often left each of us a box of Good and Plentys! :)

Marie, I discovered coffee flavored ice cream when I was working in Atlantic City, and it was soooooo good! I had never liked coffee either. :) That was eons ago, but I'm still very fond of Atlantic City! I lived there and worked at Fralinger's Salt Water Taffy across from Central Pier, earning money for college. It was a great experience!

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
I never really cared for coffee until one winter when I was 21. I just had some of my friend's coffee with cream and sugar and all of a sudden, it was like somebody flipped a switch. I started buying coffee and drinking it. Later that year, probably 4 months later, I began to drink my coffee black with no sugar and have drank it that way ever since. I have been drinking coffee now for 18 years and I drink it in both cold and hot weather.

Right now, I am a big fan of Gevalia Kaffe and my two varieties I have now are Cafe Sperl and Stockholm Roast. I also used to drink espresso and actually had a nice DeLonghi pump-driven espresso maker that made very good espresso and cappuccino. However, that machine has not been ran in over 10 years so who knows if the pump would even work. But...I still have my demitasse cups! :)

Marie, you are a cocoa addict. What is your favorite brand? I really love the Land-O-Lakes cocoas. Hehehe, you will laugh at my routine for making hot cocoa. I would heat my 8oz water in a measuring cup while the mix was in my mug. I poured about 2oz of the hot water into the mix, blended it up as best as I could with a small whisk, added the rest of the water, and finished mixing it with the same whisk. That made all the powder dissolve easily without splashing it outside of the cup. Plus there was no bits of undissolved powder floating atop the cocoa. This made sure that my cocoa was as rich as possible. Now for plain jane cocoas, I LOVED the President's Choice brand I purchased when I was in Toronto, Canada. But I have not been there for 8 years...

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Don, my brothers coffee attitude was like yours. When we were younger he used to say, "Coffee gives you worms." I started drinking coffee at about age 14 and he liked to hassle me. At some time in his early twenties he did a complete reversal and now likes coffee better then I do, which is hard to do.
What is Gevalia Kaffe and where can it be purchased? My current favorite is Stewarts which you can get in the gourmet section of the grocery store, and even sometimes at Marcs.

·
Banned
1,177 Posts
katlover13 said:
What is Gevalia Kaffe and where can it be purchased? My current favorite is Stewarts which you can get in the gourmet section of the grocery store, and even sometimes at Marcs.
Sue, Gevalia Kaffe is a Swedish coffee brand that purchases, roasts, and blends coffees from all over the world. They have the gamut from your traditional roast up to such exotic coffees as 100% Kona and the ultra gourmet Jamaican Blue Mountain (at the bargain price of $24.95 per 8oz). They are not sold in stores but you can either place individual orders or, like many people including myself, use a coffee subscription program. That is where you simply have your coffee delivered to your house at regular intervals. I have two 8oz packs delivered every 7 weeks.

They also have teas and such. One can also order most of their coffees either ground or whole bean. While I have a grinder, specifically a mill, I choose the ground. They use what is called a Fine Grind, which is a bit finer than your average Maxwell House or Folgers and their auto drip grinds. Indeed Sue if you look on a grind it yourself station at the supermarket, you will see that fine grind is finer than autodrip but not as fine as the espresso grind.

The stuff is somewhat pricey with most coffees being $6.65 to $7.95 per 8oz box, but it is good stuff. When I run out between shipments and am forced to use Maxwell house 100% Colombian, the MH stuff just tastes so...thin. I generally will go to the local grocery store and get ¼lb of their Fair Trade Organic coffees to hold me over until my next Gevalia shipment.

·
Registered
408 Posts
yes !!!! Guess I won't have to worry about diabetes or alzheimers !! I drink TWO quad shot white chocolate mochas every morning... make my own because Starbucks and Tully's suck. LOL :lol:

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
I like hot chocolate! I don't care for the hot cocoa mixes available in the little packets, I much prefer OVALTINE! (malt, with the yellow label) In the winter months, I add a shot of Bailey's Irish Cream to it for a seasonal treat.

I have never cared for coffee. I like the way it smells but it tastes too bitter for me. I would have to add so much milk and sugar it probably couldn't be classified as coffee when I got through with it, so I just don't bother. I've never had trouble waking up when I get up.

I have a funny coffee story, though:
In WA state when I worked at the Sheriff Office, about once a month my office-mate and I would offer to walk across The Square to a shop and get/bring back coffees and espressos for everyone. This little shop would always put a roasted coffee bean on top of each cup lid. One day, my office-mate talked me into eating the bean on top of her coffee.
Wow! :yikes
I was hopping! I was flying! I got a LOT of work done for about 5 hours...and then I crashed HARD! Oh, what a headache! Aiy-yi-yi!

The funniest part, though, was when I be-bopped from the front office to the back of the jail where I worked and I had to pass the Sheriff's personal office. He and the Under Sheriff were chatting with the door open and they said "hey" and asked what I was up to that day.
Well... I came in and sat on the couch and told them, and it sort of went like this:
Ihavegotsomuchworkdonethismorning! JenniferandIwentandgotespressosforeveryoneandshe
toldmetoeatthebean, soIdid. Ihavemadetheprisonerfolders,processedtheirfingerprints,formatted
theirjailaccounts,madethejailsupervisor'sfolderforhtheircontrolroomfileandgiventhefrontofficetheir
paperworktosendtothestate. I'mheadingbacktocompletetheoutproccessingpaperworkandthenI
willstartontheredundantfilingandtackletheinformationrequestsandbillingforcityprisoners. Well,I've
gotalottodo,soIbettergettoit! Bye!
They gave each other a look, and I overheard the Sheriff tell the Under Sheriff that maybe they better go check the drugs stored in the evidence room. :lol:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I've never liked coffee flavored anything. My husband recently took up drinking it at work and I jokingly call him a traitor because before neither of us drank it and it was a "thing". :lol: I tried a sip again at Christmas and nope! Still haven't developed a taste for it. Guess I am not "grown up" yet. :wink: My sister-in-law thinks I will take it up after the baby is born. I dunno...I gave up caffeinated drinks a long time ago and started having a lot less headaches. I do love to have a little chocolate though.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
:) We're a multilingual family here :lol: tea, coffee, cocoa you name it!

Me - fresh loose-leaf English breakfast tea brewed in a pot with milk or extra-rich soy milk, no sugar. No teabags, please - :dis unless it's an emergency. Hubby - whole bean coffee ground at home - a HUGE cup in the morning with tons of sugar and milk, and another more normal sized cup in the afternoon... The teenager: Ice Blended Winter special 'Pumpkin' Coffee or Decaf from The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf shop...$ $ $ :roll:

Hubby and teenager - strong sweetened cocoa from Trader Joe's made with chocolate milk, or just chocolate milk warmed up with Trader Joe's organic chocolate syrup in it ( I am dubious, sorry...)

I also like Teeccino if anyone has heard of it - it is sort of "dense" - I guess the proper term is it has body (?), not watery or limp like most herbal teas...

Enjoy, everyone!

Fran

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Heidi n Q said:
I like hot chocolate! I don't care for the hot cocoa mixes available in the little packets, I much prefer OVALTINE! (malt, with the yellow label) In the winter months, I add a shot of Bailey's Irish Cream to it for a seasonal treat.

I have never cared for coffee. I like the way it smells but it tastes too bitter for me. I would have to add so much milk and sugar it probably couldn't be classified as coffee when I got through with it, so I just don't bother. I've never had trouble waking up when I get up.

I have a funny coffee story, though:
In WA state when I worked at the Sheriff Office, about once a month my office-mate and I would offer to walk across The Square to a shop and get/bring back coffees and espressos for everyone. This little shop would always put a roasted coffee bean on top of each cup lid. One day, my office-mate talked me into eating the bean on top of her coffee.
Wow! :yikes
I was hopping! I was flying! I got a LOT of work done for about 5 hours...and then I crashed HARD! Oh, what a headache! Aiy-yi-yi!

The funniest part, though, was when I be-bopped from the front office to the back of the jail where I worked and I had to pass the Sheriff's personal office. He and the Under Sheriff were chatting with the door open and they said "hey" and asked what I was up to that day.
Well... I came in and sat on the couch and told them, and it sort of went like this:
Ihavegotsomuchworkdonethismorning! JenniferandIwentandgotespressosforeveryoneandshe
toldmetoeatthebean, soIdid. Ihavemadetheprisonerfolders,processedtheirfingerprints,formatted
theirjailaccounts,madethejailsupervisor'sfolderforhtheircontrolroomfileandgiventhefrontofficetheir
paperworktosendtothestate. I'mheadingbacktocompletetheoutproccessingpaperworkandthenI
willstartontheredundantfilingandtackletheinformationrequestsandbillingforcityprisoners. Well,I've
gotalottodo,soIbettergettoit! Bye!
They gave each other a look, and I overheard the Sheriff tell the Under Sheriff that maybe they better go check the drugs stored in the evidence room. :lol:
LOL....

Not so keen on coffee myself. Tea, most definately. Oh and Horlicks is ok on a cold night.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts