Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I am not being too annoying by asking so many questions, but as a new cat owner I want to make sure I am not overlooking anything which could be problematic.

When I first got my kitten home, 3 weeks ago, he was sick a little bit. it seemed mostly water so I wondered if it was related to hairballs. Since then I have noticed 2 patches of sick, roughly a week apart, larger than the first sick.

All has been fine for a week or so, and I havent noticed anymore sick. I do keep checking under the sofa/bed, and under the lower lying furniture as much as possible (havent noticed any smells) but tonight I can hear him hiccuping (like the sound you make when you retch, don't know an actual term for it, I always call it balking?) I did email the breeder about the initial large bit of sick and he said as long as its not a lot of sick everyday, it should be fine, but I wanted to check.

His poo is fine. In terms of his food he is eating what he ate at the breeders. He has turkeymince 2 times a day, which he always eats very quickly, and will yowl for it when we go near the fridge. He also has Royal Canin hair and Skin, which he doesnt tend to eat a lot of, though recently has started to eat a lot more as he has realised that he cannot have his turkey mince all day every day!

Is this okay, and if not, what can I do to help?

·
Super Moderator
26,492 Posts
The sound you describe sounds like he's working up a hairball, but other will know more about that than I do.

I'm not sure what turkeymince is, but it's probably better than the dry food. If that's what he wants, I'd give him that instead. Again, I'm no expert on nutrition and others will definitely chime in.

Ask all the questions you want, that's why many of us joined. :grin:

It doesn't make you annoying, it makes you a great cat meowmie.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The turkey mince seems to be just raw minced turkey. Nothing at all special. it actually appears to be dog food (part of a BARF diet, interestingly... :? ) it is just what he was being fed at the breeders along with his dry food.

I shall keep an eye out for hairballs :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I am off to bed so cannot read tonight but will definitely start reading up on this tomorrow. I am more than happy to switch him to just the turkey mince as it is MUCH MUCH cheaper than the dry food (though I suppose he eats so little the stuff ive got will last me a lifetime)

I think the mince I have is raw, I was told not to cook it at all so it seems to just be raw turkey mince which i defrost and give to him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts