Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So "Moo", the stray that has now repeatedly come back to visit, and has now warmed up to me enough to sniff my hand, may almost be ready for capture and a vet visit. My main concern is if this cat has a home already, and if it is microchipped then can we get it back to where it belongs?

But of course the thought is looming in my mind, what if it doesn't? I could possibly take in another cat, however I do not have the funds on hand to do the proper vetrinary care to make it a house cat (de-worm, de-flea, spay/neuter)

Also, my boyfriend, who is not too keen on the idea at all, brought up a good point. If I have to come home with the cat because it has no owner, would it be safe to keep it indoors with my other two cats? I know theres any number of diseases a cat can pass on to another one, feline AIDS is the scariest one that comes to mind. Is it selfish of me to try to help this cat when I could be putting my two other babies at risk? The thought of this almost makes me want to drop the whole operation. Because the chances of this cat actually having a home look really slim, and it is leaning towards me re-releasing him into the outside, which would be heartbreaking.

What would you do in this situation? What can I do? And does anyone have any info on the types of diseases this cat may have? I see lots of posts on here about people taking in strays, but i'm assuming they have all the funds to get the tests and necessary procedures done on the cat.

Please help?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also heres a picture of "Moo". Its grainy because I had to zoom quite a bit, he's still quite shy and doesn't want to come near me for too too long.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I don't understand the first question, so this answer might not be appropriate if you meant something different: chances are if Moo is lost and has a microchip and you locate the owners, they will retrieve their kitty themselves or have something arranged.

Have you contacted any local rescues for assistance? They would be able to help you find low cost spay & neuter programs in your area which often include low cost vaccinations and testing if you're unsure how to begin finding such resources. If you decide you cannot keep the cat, a rescue may be interested in taking Moo themselves and adopting him/her out to a loving home.

As for the disease factor, I'd encourage you not to abandon your operation of feeding Moo and trying to befriend him/her for fear of disease. A local rescue can help if you're uneasy about the situation. I personally kept my strays quarantined in another room for weeks because I could not afford to have them tested. They had been so isolated and had little to no contact with other cats, so I wasn't quite so worried

Moo is a gorgeous kitty.. looks like he/she has a nice build and a healthy looking coat! Good on you for reaching out to him. Moo is beginning to trust you, so let that trust inspire you to find help for him rather than scare you. :) You are Moo's opportunity to a better life. ♥

I wish you guys the best of luck! Would love to hear an update in the future! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't understand the first question, so this answer might not be appropriate if you meant something different: chances are if Moo is lost and has a microchip and you locate the owners, they will retrieve their kitty themselves or have something arranged.

That was my question, upon rereading it I'm wondering myself why i worded it so oddly. I wasn't sure if I would need to surrender the cat to the shelter (something about a 5 day holding period?). I guess I just wasn't sure how this would work.

And I definately don't want to give up on this kitty. He does look extremely healthy and for that I am grateful and it gives me hope he may actually already have a home. I did however notice that he has a LOT more fur than what the picture allows for you to see, so i'm not sure quite how skinny he is under his winter coat :( I reached out to the animal humane society and sent them an email. I live in Buffalo, NY, and not quite sure where to start my search for assistance, but I will keep looking.

·
Registered
159 Posts
One thing you could do is go to Petfinder.com, click on "Animal Shelters" and search by typing in your area. It will give you a list of shelters & rescues around where you are. I prefer smaller rescues.. sometimes they are more apt to give advice and assistance but it all depends, really. Maybe choose some rescues and send out an email (like you did with the humane society) or just call them.. as long as they are no kill, of course! :)

I'm so glad Moo has you on his/her side! What a lucky kitty. How do Moo's eyes and nose look? Any discharge? Yes Moo looks like a clean fella under the circumstances!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing you could do is go to Petfinder.com, click on "Animal Shelters" and search by typing in your area. It will give you a list of shelters & rescues around where you are. I prefer smaller rescues.. sometimes they are more apt to give advice and assistance but it all depends, really. Maybe choose some rescues and send out an email (like you did with the humane society) or just call them.. as long as they are no kill, of course! :)

I'm so glad Moo has you on his/her side! What a lucky kitty. How do Moo's eyes and nose look? Any discharge? Yes Moo looks like a clean fella under the circumstances!
From what I saw, his nose and eyes looked clean. I guess there may have been some clear fluid near his nose, but I just attributed that to it being so cold outside?

Still haven't been able to check his ear to see if he's neutered, and still don't know if "he" is actually a "he"! He was very bright and attentive, and very scared. He was frightened of me, yet was still hungry enough to venture close to me when I presented him with food. The closest I got was when he sniffed my hand breifly and then bounded away.

And I will check the local shelters, do they have to advertise that they are a kill shelter if they are one? Or is it more of a hidden thing... Definately want to stay away from those. I have a huge fear of getting way too far into this than I can financially afford, but i'm hopeful that I will find somoene willing to help me!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I agree with checking with a local shelter, I live in a rual area and the local shelter has a limited amount of $50 vouchers to desex cats. I had 3 dumped and was going to capture 2 othem and have them desexed. The third one was Onyx which I knew I was going to keep as a indoor/outdoor cat. I obtain a voucher. Ended up capturing one of the remaining 2. I took it to the shelter and also returned the voucher for someone elses use. I can well afford to have my own cats desexed, but am not going to foot the bill for every stray that shows up.
As far as Vet bills go. If you can get out of the big city and take the cat to a vet in a farming area it may be a lot cheaper, I belive it cost me $45 for the male and $85 for the female. I am amazed what it cost for animal care in the Big City.
Editted to add. Blod work up was under $15 when I had Onyx spayed.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I posted something in your other thread before I saw this -- sounds like you're doing the right things! I agree that if you are able to bring Moo inside, to keep him in a bathroom or other room separate from your other cats. Other people here will know specifics about how long, etc.

And where I live, some of the humane societies and vets are running Valentine's Day (month) specials for low-cost spay/neuters. They say they want to make February un-romantic for cats so they offer discounts this month. Definitely worth asking around.

Moo is really beautiful, by the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts