Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How soon is too soon to leave them alone together? I hate locking Beren away while I'm at work, but I'm a little nervous about leaving the two together.

There's no more growling or hissing (except for very random times) but they're still chasing each other around and wrestling and it looks like Wyn is trying to bit Beren's throat. Even when she does this, though, there's no growling and it doesn't last very long.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
804 Posts
my kitties do the throat biting thing, without harm or the intention of harming eachother. I think they are just playing now. youd probably be good in a couple days. try leaving them out togetehr tonight while you are at home, because even if your sleeping, yo are still there to be woken up if they decide not to get along. if things are fine after tonight and by morning, everyone is still unharmed, then you should be ok.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Agree'd. You may not sleep 100% the first night, but I bet they'd be fine.

You're doing wonderfully, by the way! It's hard being a new mom, ain't it? ;)

Just have it so they have their own sleeping places, and you should be fine. Our baby kitten had to sleep with us *using the SO as a warming pad* and the other cats didn't really mind sharing too much.

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
I suspect what you're seeing is actually play fighting. Do they approach each other with tails straight in the air, if so they're doing just fine. Cats that don't like each other or are nervous will keep their tails down low, maybe horizontal, maybe swishing back and forth (like wagging, but in cats it's not a happy thing like with dogs). But if you see straight up tails, they're doing great.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I'll watch them more tonight to check for tails up and see how they do while I'm in bed.

It's such a relief to get past the hissing phase!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Success!

I had both babies sleeping on me at the same time! Then, Wyn investigated Beren in his little bed and both kept their peace.

:jump

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Sounds like they are doing great!

...I wanted to add...
I have an odd one about the swishing tail thing. LuckyDuck 'wags' his tail, swishing from side to side, but it means he is alert, happy or excited. His tail is NEVER STILL, unless he is asleep or sitting/laying on it.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Thank you Lisa! Isn't it amazing how cats can communicate emotions through their tail movements?
I just have to say you are doing great, I am proud of what you have accomplished so far, you rule! I love reading your updates.
They will be grooming each other in no time :wink:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hypertweeky said:
They will be grooming each other in no time :wink:
!

Wyn just attempted that not five minutes ago! Of course, Beren couldn't stay still long enough for Wyn to get very far with it...

:D

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Here's an excellent article on cat communication. There are some good drawings on tail positions, facial expressions etc. It's important to learn how to read the signs a cat is showing, especially when there's more than one cat in the house. It will help you to know when they're seriously upset with each other or just play fighting.

http://www.messybeast.com/cat_talk2.htm

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Wow Lisa, there is a lot to read in there, I am now in the tail chart, it is amazing how true this is!
I read the cat chat, but the meows are confusing lol, I can see myself recording Tiger's Meow to decipher what he is trying to tell me, this site is awesome and hubby thinks I am nuts haha.
THANK YOU!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks. :D

They were both kicked out of my bedroom while I slept last night and both seem to be fine with it. So I left them out together while I'm at work.

I'll get more pictures if they'll stand still! lol.

·
Banned
804 Posts
good to hear the night went well :) sometimes intros take a week, sometimes they take a few hours. in the long run i can garauntee that Wyn is going to apreaciate having a friend to sleep with and play with.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We've had fur-lossage. It looks like Beren took out a chunk of Wyn's beautiful coat. He's got such pins for nails, despite my best efforts to trim them a little. It's difficult because there isn't far between what I can clip and the quick.

I'm also a little afraid that he's going to scratch Wyn's face and/or eyes with the way he rabbit kicks. But I know they're just playing. Should I separate them again?

:?

·
Super Moderator
18,409 Posts
Nope, don't separate them. Get used to seeing tufts of fur, it's normal when you have more than one cat. I've had multiple cats for 13 years and only had one incident where an eye got scratched and it was an extreme case.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts