Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What exactly is toxiplasmosis(sp) I've read that cats carry it and pregnant women can get it and if they do their baby can be born with problems. My mom called me a few weeks ago and told me I had better get rid of my cats because she had just seem some show about a woman whose baby was born mentally retarded or something like that. She kept her friend's cat for a few weeks and thats how she got it. I told my mom not to panic I'm not pregnant. After that I kinda forgot about it until just now while sitting here and thought now would be a good time to ask before I forget again.

I know that its found in a cat's litter box. Is it found in their urine or poop or both? How about when they step around in their cat litter and then jump up on the kitchen counters or the table or sofas, can it be contracted like that? Could I already have this and not know it? Or is it something that only pregnant women can get? Do all cats carry this or only some? Is there any way for a vet to check if my cats have this?

I don't want to sound spooked but i want to know all I can about this.

My hubby and I don't have any children yet but we are planning to in the near future. My friend who had a cat while she was pregnant told me she just made her hubby change the litter for the 9 months. I think in the entire 2 years that we have had cats my hubby has only changed the litter once. I think that if I became pregant he would definitly change the litter but.... he is in the military and it would just be my luck that he would be deployed sometime while i was pregnant. :?
Any info would be greatly appriciated :D
Thanks

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
I dont know a great deal about it, but I know pregnant women souldnt go near litter boxes. I dont know if it can kill people but a lady who I know the breeds guinea pigs, has done for about 15 years a himalyan sow who was pregnant and really close to birth died from it.

Im sure tho someone here will know much morethan me.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
When in doubt, google!

Please read this whole page: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/toxoplasmosis/factsht_toxoplasmosis.htm

(small excerpt from above link)

"Am I able to keep my cat?"

"Yes, but if you have a weakened immune system or are pregnant there are some steps to take to avoid being exposed to Toxoplasma.

"Help prevent your cat from becoming infected with Toxoplasma. Keep it indoors and feed it dry or canned cat food. A cat can become infected by eating infected prey or being fed raw or undercooked meat infected with the parasite.

"Do not bring a new cat into your house that might have spent time out of doors or might have been fed raw meat. Avoid stray cats and kittens and their adopted habitat. Your veterinarian can answer any other questions you may have regarding your cat and risk for toxoplasmosis.

"Have someone who is healthy and not pregnant change your cat's litter box daily. If this is not possible, wear gloves and clean the litter box daily (the parasite found in cat feces needs one or more days after being passed to become infectious.) Wash your hands well with soap and water afterwards."

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much for that Information!! :D
I feel alot better knowing now.

~Jen

1 - 4 of 4 Posts