Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As common as this issue is, I figured at least someone out there has dealt with this successfully, so I thought I would ask because at the moment I feel like I'm going crazy!

We adopted our cat Molly from the animal shelter a little over a year ago. When we brought her home, she was severely emaciated. She was what they call here a "found animal", so no one knows if she was a stray or previously owned, if she lived most of her life indoors or outdoors.

After doing some research, I decided I wanted to feed her raw. She readily accepted what I was giving her, but I felt I had not done enough research and was afraid of not giving her what she needed nutritionally, especially since she was so underweight, that I started giving her grain-free wet food instead. I also made this decision after witnessing her straining in the litter box. She was constipated for a couple of days, and I think I was giving her too much bone. It turns out that she was allergic to something in the wet food, because as soon as I made the switch, she came down with the most horrible, smelly diarrhea I have ever had the displeasure of wiping up off my bedroom floor. That was a year ago. Her diarrhea has since cleared up, we have put her back on raw diet (did more research this time). She has maybe pooped in her litter box 30 times in the year that we have had her.

The poop, while annoying, isn't so bad because it's pretty dry and easy to clean up. However, she does intermittently pee on the floor in our bathroom, too. Right in front of the toilet, where there is a slight slope, so it pools behind there where it's very hard to reach to clean thoroughly. This I attribute to her being very picky about litter box cleanliness. I really should be better about it, but I never let it get filthy. We also recently adopted a kitten, Frida, who's a little dominating brat, and if she has just one little poop in the litter box, Molly will NOT use it. So if Frida poops in it over night, and Molly's gotta go, she'll just pee on the floor.

We have 2 litterboxes at the moment. I've been thinking about getting a third, but we live in a pretty small apartment (55sqm or ~600sqft) so I'm at a loss as to where to put a third one without it being right out in the open. I also suspect she doesn't care for the litter (Cat's Best). I'd like to stick with clay-free clumping, but I'm having trouble finding an alternative in Germany.

So, how can I change this behavior? Or is it my behavior that needs to be changed? I just don't know what to do anymore. The vet says she's healthy. Physically, anyway. Has anyone had similar issues, and how have you handled it?

·
Registered
168 Posts
We have 2 litterboxes at the moment. I've been thinking about getting a third, but we live in a pretty small apartment (55sqm or ~600sqft) so I'm at a loss as to where to put a third one without it being right out in the open. I also suspect she doesn't care for the litter (Cat's Best). I'd like to stick with clay-free clumping, but I'm having trouble finding an alternative in Germany.
Never expect 2 cats who aren't litter mates or good friends to share a litter box. They usually aren't willing to do that. I mean, would YOU want to use an unflushed toilet with a stranger's poop in it? :lol: I don't think so!

So each cat should have its own litter box at least, although some people recommend one litter box per cat, plus an extra litter box. I think you should be okay with just 2.

Have you done a proper introduction? If not, some of the issues could be happening due to stress, or it could be territorial. If that's the case, I'd recommend re-introducing them the proper way.

Either way it seems like the issues started before the new cat and that even with 2 litter boxes it still happens, so there may be other causes. Is your cat declawed? Have you tried switching the litter? Have you tried switching spots for the box? Have you recently brought your cat in to the vet for a checkup? It can be hard to pinpoint the causes of litterbox problems because there can be so many, but finding the cause is key to solving it.

Even then, sometimes it's very hard to solve, or maybe even impossible. I was never able to resolve my late cat Amy's litter box issue before she died. Her health was declining very rapidly, yet she used her litterbox 100% of the time IF she was confined to the bathroom, but if she had free-reign of the house or bedroom, even with the litterbox right next to her, she would pee on the carpet or bed and use the litterbox only 10% of the time or less. I never figured out why, but it only became a problem once she started getting sick so it seemed like a mixture of health and psychological issues.

So since it's so hard to figure out, I'd recommend taking measures to make life easier for yourself while your cat continues to pee everywhere. Move the litterbox away from that one spot that you said is hard to reach, or cover the spot. Cover common spots with plastic or something else that repells water and is easy to clean. Continue feeding food that causes the stool to be hard and dry.

Most importantly, do not be frustrated with your cat. Whatever the reason, she can't control it so you must be patient and do whatever you can to help her. I know this is going to sound preachy and it's completely colored by my recent loss of Amy, but be thankful your cat is alive. When Amy first started having these problems, before I realized she had a serious and fatal disease, I started to get frustrated over her peeing everywhere. When she got really sick, I didn't care anymore, because all I wanted was for her to be alive and get better. Now that she's gone, I'd be glad to clean pee and poop from my house everyday of my life if it meant I could still have her with me.

I don't want to scare you as whatever is causing your cat's issues is probably nothing like what was causing mine's, I just hope my perspective can help you be patient with your cat.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Get another litter box... even if it's in the open, I bet you'll have less messes to clean up. Heck, I have two kittens and to accommodate I currently even have a litter box in my dining room 0_o You could also try a different type of litter box.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I too have a litterbox in my dining room. But that's how my newest addition ( 9 months old ) wants it. Eventually I might be able to move it but for now it beats cleaning up a mess.
A couple of things: there is a litter that is suppose to attract cats to use the litterbox and I have heard that it has been a lifesaver for some people. Second, your cat might be associating the litterbox with pain: ( constipation, or difficulty urinating ). My cat went through both of these, so he was using my dining room floor instead of the box. My vet put him on cosequin which is a joint medication but what it also does is coat the lining of his bladder which helps him from feeling pain when he has an inflamed bladder brought on by stress. ( well this was the case for my cat ). He takes a pill everyday in his food for this and I haven't had a litter box issue since. ( knock on wood ).
Your best bet is to monitor your cats movements . If they are too hard then he needs something to help soften it up , if he's straining peeing then you need to figure out why. I bet all the food changes probably has caused some stomach issues and like I said, he's associating the litterbox as a "bad" experience.
Lastly, try a feliway diffuser. It's calming or them and if your cat is stressed about using the litterbox then the feliway may help ease that.
Always refer to a vet though when there are litterbox problems because it could always be something medical that needs attention

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with you that it is frustrating trying to fit extra litter boxes into an apartment... I am trying to figure out if I can fit another or maybe just get rid of the ones I have now and try a different shape for them.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Do you have a table or desk or something you can put an extra litter box under? A corner? They have those cute things that looks kind of like a bedside table or end table, and you put the litter box inside it, so it's not in plain view. You might already have a piece of furniture or wooden box you could modify...

My litter boxes are by the back door, which is right outside the bathroom door, and that area works great for us. Since she is going in the bathroom, do you have room for another litter box in the bathroom or right outside of it? Good luck!!! It has to be frustrating. My cat had a hard poo this morning and started out in the litter box, then finished her business right in front of the box. Hubby saw her, and picked up the poop with a paper towel and threw it in the litter box... I'm surprised he didn't yell or anything. He just came and told me. I kind of saw it coming because she didn't poop yesterday at all and I'd been keeping an eye out for any signs of pain or straining.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies everyone!

We did do a proper introduction and they generally get along just fine. On the other hand, she did start this before the second cat and has always had these issues. We got a second litter box long before the second cat.

We have also taken her to the vet to get her checked out and the vet says she is healthy and that it might just be psychological issues. We have tried a feliway diffuser, and didn't really notice a difference. I will keep trying that, though.

I am reluctant to get a third litterbox because she really only goes on the floor in the general vicinity of a pre-existing box. She's not hanging her butt over the edge of the box - she just scratches at the floor nearby and poops. If I catch her, I put her in the box and she jumps out, runs away, waits for me to either leave or get absorbed in something else and poops in front of the other litter box. We have tried moving the box to where she poops, and then she starts pooping where the box used to be.

I used to think that she associates it with pain, too, but the painful incidents (daily diarrhea for weeks) never occurred in the box. The first time she ever had diarrhea (it turns out she has food allergies) she skipped the box altogether and went on the floor. She also doesn't strain when she goes.

She only pees on the floor when the box already has a few clumps in it.

So, I changed litters yesterday. I gave in and got clay. She definitely prefers the texture, but so far she has not pooped since I switched. She has peed in it twice. I really hate the smell of clay and all the dust, and the environmental effects, too. Why don't they have SwheatScoop in Europe?! Or at least a fine-grained plant based litter...

·
Registered
415 Posts
I guess I just responded to you again in the other post, sorry, didn't realize it was the same person. As for the litter, do they have corn cob litter there? Like World's Best? I know where I buy my cat litter (Tractor Supply), but feed stores have it too, I'm sure there are feed stores in Germany... they have bags of ground corn cob horse bedding. I'm thinking it would be similar to World's Best cat litter, only cheaper. I think here it's about $6.99 for a 40 lb bag. You could store it in a plastic container. I'm actually thinking about trying it myself, one of my cats has been acting funny about the litter box lately and I think he's starting to decide he'd rather have something finer than the wood pellets I'm currently using. He still uses it but he, for lack of a better word, complains about it afterward. LOL. Recently they had access to the crawl space under our house, via the basement, and I think they must have dug in the dirt down there and liked it. We've blocked them out of there and ever since he has complained about the litter box. He is quite vocal.

I was thinking about buying some clumping clay litter for the fine texture, but I hated the smell when I was using it, so I just couldn't bring myself to buy it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
General check-up and stool sample. I explained the problem to her, and the vet also gave her some antibiotics in case she had a mucosal infection in the digestive tract.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem is really the defecation. I wouldn't call it indiscriminate, either. There is only one place in the entire apartment where she will pee, and she only does this when I haven't kept up with keeping the litterboxes clean. Sometimes, as soon as I scoop the box, she gets in and pees. And then an hour or so later I will find poop on the floor. Also, she only defecates in two places, one more frequently than the other. I also keep a very close eye on her when I hear her in the litterbox, and there is never any meowing, crying, or straining, blood or mucous in the urine, and there is always a healthy amount - not too much not too little. Are there other disorders other than UTIs that would cause indiscriminate urination?

·
Registered
415 Posts
If she's only doing it when the litterbox hasn't been kept up with, scooping the box twice a day should help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.