Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before adopting or purchasing a cat...
Yes, Cats are animals. They do not think like humans and you cannot use logic with them. The best thing to do as a human being is to take the time to learn how a cat thinks. (read about behavior and cognitive ability)

Yes, they poop and pee, sometimes in inappropriate spots. It smells bad but refer to answer #1. They also may vomit behind the couch or on your bed from time to time. Cats don't understand that this is not deemed acceptable by humans. You will have extra cleaning to do, get used to it.

Yes, they do scratch and bite. Even the most docile cat may at some point may do so. Remember your cat doesn't use spoken language and may use their bodies (claws, teeth, and posture) to communicate. Yes, they do have a large range of vocalization but it is up to you to figure out what they are "saying" since you are hopefully the more intelligent one.

Yes, they do need scratching posts as well. It is how they shed the outer sheath of their claw. They are not "sharpening" their nails or trying to get back at you for being on the phone too long.

Yes, cats cost money. Even your "free to good home" kitten can get sick and cost you hundreds if not thousands of dollars. Cats need medical care, and over the course of an 18-20+ lifespan it can add up.

Yep, they shed too. While some shed more than others expect hair on your clothes and furnishing.

Yes, you may be allergic to them. I suggest you spend some time with other people's cats to determine whether or not you have an allergy. If you do, and you still want a cat medicine is available for you.

Think I have covered the basics here. It's amazing to me that people put more time into researching what television or car to get than they do a living creature. ANY animal takes time, energy, and effort. I wish more people would think before they run out and get a pet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes, they poop and pee, sometimes in inappropriate spots. It smells bad but refer to answer #1. They also may vomit behind the couch or on your bed from time to time. Cats don't understand that this is not deemed acceptable by humans. You will have extra cleaning to do, get used to it.
I must have really lucked out with Booger. He's had a 100% success rate with the litter box since the day he was weaned and I've never found vomit or hairballs around my place. Or maybe he's just hiding them from me! :smile:

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Before adopting or purchasing a cat...
Yes, Cats are animals. They do not think like humans and you cannot use logic with them. The best thing to do as a human being is to take the time to learn how a cat thinks. (read about behavior and cognitive ability)
Even training is basically just manipulating THEIR natural behavior, NOT changing them to follow your own desires!

My ex-husband just couldn't understand why the cats would vomit in random places, rather than use the litter box. Again, they are animals... just because humans know to go to the bathroom when sick, animals just know they have to get something out of their stomach and NOW (he tried to discipline Paizly for throwing up under the bed once! GRRRR!). Besides, even humans don't always make it to the bathroom in time!

Yes, they do scratch and bite. Even the most docile cat may at some point may do so. Remember your cat doesn't use spoken language and may use their bodies (claws, teeth, and posture) to communicate. Yes, they do have a large range of vocalization but it is up to you to figure out what they are "saying" since you are hopefully the more intelligent one.
Treating injuries or sickness is usually when just about ANY cat will scratch or bite. They don't understand that you're trying to help them, they just know that it's uncomfortable! (actually, Paizly has never lashed out with tooth or claw... she curls up in a ball and tries to hide in your arms or lap or something. It's sometimes very difficult to take her temperature or check her eyes/teeth, because she's curled up so tightly!)

Yes, they do need scratching posts as well. It is how they shed the outer sheath of their claw. They are not "sharpening" their nails or trying to get back at you for being on the phone too long.
Eh... I beg it differ on the last issue! LOL ;)

Yes, cats cost money. Even your "free to good home" kitten can get sick and cost you hundreds if not thousands of dollars. Cats need medical care, and over the course of an 18-20+ lifespan it can add up.
Yup, my free kitten (Paizly) costs me about $30 a month, which my dad thinks is ridiculous for "a d*m cat!" ...but it's a better investment than me going to a shrink! LOL (Seriously, my cats are about the only thing that keeps me sane sometimes!)

Yep, they shed too. While some shed more than others expect hair on your clothes and furnishing.
No outfit is complete, without a few cat hairs!

Think I have covered the basics here. It's amazing to me that people put more time into researching what television or car to get than they do a living creature. ANY animal takes time, energy, and effort. I wish more people would think before they run out and get a pet.
Amen!

·
Registered
94 Posts
)Yes, they poop and pee, sometimes in inappropriate spots. It smells bad but refer to answer #1. They also may vomit behind the couch or on your bed from time to time. Cats don't understand that this is not deemed acceptable by humans. You will have extra cleaning to do, get used to it.
Le sigh. This is so so ridiculously true. Hades has used his litter box about five times since I got him almost three years ago. We've tried every freaking thing under the sun but honestly he's just...broken. Poop I can totally deal with, but the peeing is new and hopefully we can curb that.

And the vomit! Hades eats too fast and always ends up throwing up all over the house, Hermes likes to vomit in shoes like a weirdo, and Tig only ever throws up on comforters. What's even more gross is that Lily will eat Hades' vomit because its not even digested food if I can't get to it fast enough.

BLECH

but I love them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts