Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went into the kitchen & the food dishes were swarming with sugar ants AGAIN. I just fed the cats on fresh clean dishes at 7 am so the crew did not have ants with their breakfast. I've got ant traps under the stove but the ants seem to go for the cat dishes instead. I sprayed the area with clorox/bleach solution & scrubbed 'n wiped it all up BUT this is frustrating. I've sprayed the outside wall of the house & the kitchen floor on the underneath side in the basement with pesticide. I feed wet food on disposable plates & used to have ceramic bowls for free feeding dry. With the ant problem I've been using disposable plates for the dry as well & feeding dry several times a day in smaller amounts.
Does anybody have ANY solution to this problem? Tried pesticide outside of house & on wood surfaces & ceiling in basement (area under kitchen is an old coal storage so it is cement & old-style rock construction except for floor joists & floor). Used latex sealent to seal around old coal shute & edges of foundation.
BY the way I HATE ants

·
Registered
979 Posts
Raising the dishes and putting the base/legs in water is a solution used in many countries (and dive apartments) to keep bugs out of beds. It's tried and true! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2,744 Posts
Or just meal feed instead of leaving food available! My cats eat their food up in 10 min--then I take up the bowls and wash them. No bugs. :)

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Ants generally don't like peppermint oil and you can use it to create a natural barrier. Chalk can work as well but is messier.

·
Registered
978 Posts
We successfully used cinnamon when we had some ants on our kitchen counter. I had literally forgot about it until peppermint oil was mentioned. I figured it was better than poison and as far as I know it isn't toxic to kitties.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts