Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of cat related :)

Ants are everywhere in my house! You wouldn't see them normally but dare to leave a crumb of food and they all come out. This is normal since I'm in tropical Venezuela, but it's getting so bad :( I've had to put a little plate of water beneath my kitty's food bowl 'cause they were getting in there. Now today, I found they got into his big bag of expensive food! 8O I stuck the whole thing in the fridge, my mum says the cold will kill them. I'm not about to throw out 2 kg. of cat food.

Anyone have any tricks? I'm going to go and buy somewhere to put the food isntead of the bag. It has that zipper thing which I thought closed it. Obviously not well enough.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I feed my cats Science Diet & Purina, mixed. But I buy the biggest bags because I have 2 grown cats and 4 lil kittens to feed. (I couldn't give them away to homes because I fell in love with them all.)

Well. My cats had a habit of ripping the bags open and eating out of the bag, so I went and bought a giant tupperware box (one of those big storage bins) and mixed the food there. The box has a locking thingie on two sides.

I don't know if it's ant proof, but the cats haven't been able to get it yet!

Maybe you should try it? I got mine for somewhere btwn $5-$10 at Walmart.

Z.

·
Registered
709 Posts
ants

We put salt by all the doors, like across from one side of the frame to the other, and along the walls in the rooms that the ants seem to be really bad. Luckily we haven't had any ants this year though. The salt really works though. My mom was telling me how ants follow the same trail everywhere and the salt screws with there sense of direction, it also kills them eventually too :D

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I have great solution! :D We use a GREAT prduct called Terro. It is completely non-toxic...you could eat it and not get sick (so it is safe for kitties, too). It work better than ANYTHING we have ever tried.....ANYTHING. It is very inexpensive and can be bought at most hardware stores......we have HORENDOUS ant problems here, but now we do not even have one single ant, eveb near the pet food. I HIGHLY reccomend it. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts