Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I taught my last classes a few weeks ago and the students are now on summer vacation, so I've had no obligations and won't have any major plans until next week. The problem is that for someone with nothing to do, I'm like the busiest person EVER! This summer I have two friends visiting, and although I love them to pieces and am so excited to see them and travel with them, nobody asked me when would be a good time to come or whether I needed a break. They somehow managed to book it so one is coming July 8th-28th and the other is coming July 28th to the day I go home (the US) for a visit.

I'm only going to be in my current apartment for about 4 days of the entire summer, and we'll be backpacking nonstop the rest of it. I'm so ridiculously overloaded right now. I need to plan every detail of the trips, move to my new apartment, find a new job, get my residency permit renewed, find someone to watch Sebastian, and about a million other things as well. I deal with stress by getting extremely organized. I'm a list maker. I have to be or I'll forget, and the fear of forgetting stresses me out more. Lists are like my comfort zone. I keep working on my lists, but they're only getting longer as I remember more and more things I have to do.

I can feel that my body is just exhausted from all of this crazy stuff. Last night I worked on the master itinerary for friend #1 until after midnight (had to be up at 6). I find it really hard to stop in the middle of something like that once I've started and I left it about 3/4 of the way done. I went to bed, but my mind just wouldn't shut off. I tried reading, breathing exercises, but my mind kept drifting back to plans and lists. Today I feel awful, I had to go into the city to meet with someone for job networking and on the 2 hr bus ride home I tried to nap but it just wasn't working. Instead I was thinking about packing my apartment. If I don't get some rest, I think I'm going to go insane! I usually turn to the Nyquil at times like these, but I only have a few capsules left! I was saving them for the plane back to the US... any suggestions?

·
Banned
12,197 Posts
Stop doing that stuff two hours before bedtime and do something boring that lets you wind down -- something that doesn't require any mental activity. And that doesn't include making lists. Finish up your final to-do list before your spool-down time. Listening to soothing music can help. I've got a number of CD's of Chinese meditation music that I used to listen when I needed relaxation. I can't read what is printed on there, so I can't tell you what they are or where to buy them. I ordered them online from a place that imports Chinese music, so that's no help to you. ;)

·
Registered
981 Posts
Jasmine Green tea with 2 tbl spoons of honey help me calm down for bedtime.!!!! Turn off the computer and do something relaxing like yoga 1 hour before bed

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
Tylenol PM is helpful, I understand. I have the same problem, unfortunately! Sometimes I just have to get up and lie down on the couch. Playing the TV or radio softly is helpful. And mothers' remedy, warm milk, I understand, works for some people.

·
Registered
777 Posts
A little old lady told me the following ...... first of all .. relax yr face muscles .. concentrate on that .... as soon as u feel your body relaxing , listen to your breathing , and then listen to yr heart beating ..... it calms me down immediately.

Now im bipolar and I could quite easily lie awake all night while my brain was going beserk .. this method is the only thing that works for me

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
I use a method similar to that. I start at the top of my body and consciously relax every part, from my head to my toes and back up. That's very effective also.

I have been in Robin's position though, when you just can't stop thinking. I know it's difficult!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
If, like me, you can't seem to just relax your muscles, you could try conciously tightening them, then relaxing them completely.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
When I can't get my mind to stop working, I take Ambien. :) Greatest thing since sliced bread as far as I'm concerned.

But if prescription sleeping pills aren't your style, I also endorse soothing music, hot baths, and relaxing herb tea. (Chamomile, mint, rose, even catnip!)

·
Super Moderator
8,187 Posts
Any advice on how to quiet an active mind at bedtime?
How about having a drink? :) A glass of wine or one beer might do the trick! I'm not saying to do it every night but it can't be any worse than taking Tylenol PM.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lol, funny you should say that, Heather. My mother just recommended red wine as well! I'm pretty sure that might help, and I find a glass of wine very relaxing. So I'll try it!

I tried the suggestions that were posted before bedtime last night. I tried counting backwards from 100, playing a game of Sudoku to get my mind concentrated on something else, breathing, etc. It helped me get to sleep around 1, but I was up again at 3, and up for good at 6...

I'll try the other suggestions tonight! Thanks for all the help :)

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
I'll send you my diary. If that doesn't bore you to sleep, nothing will.

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
I take 2 or 3 of those 50 mg (sleeping) pills a night and it still takes me up to two hours to fall asleep.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I can LOOK at a Tylenol PM bottle and I pass out. I wouldn't be a good drug addict. LOL!

I found a really relaxing CD that was probably made for massage therapy or something. I take a long shower and turn the CD on low - and it usually puts me right to sleep.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tylenol PM doesn't do it for me. I tried taking it last time I flew overseas and I just ended up cranky and semi-drowsy yet unable to sleep. Perhaps I should combine it with my glass of wine? I still have an unused dosage... The music is a good idea. I'll definitely try that tonight.

Poor Marie! 2 hours to fall asleep every night? :(

·
Super Moderator
26,433 Posts
My RLS is out of control. That's making it worse. Sometimes it's so bad, my kitties leave the bed. :(

1 - 20 of 37 Posts