Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a questions about my cat she had babies in March and now she is pregnant again. I have had plenty of cats that have had babies a couple times a year but this cat is acting insane. She used to be the sweetest cat ever. But now she hisses at everyone she sees. Even me. Every day she would go out side and find moles for her kittens and just all of a sudden she stoped and just beats them up and hisses, and I try to talk to her and pet her she lets me but she is hissing the whole time. I was wondering what I should do or what is wrong with her?? Does anyone know how I can help her? I know I should take her to the vet but that is like 20 miles away and I don't think that she will let me. Any suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I think you need to say more because she is a good cat and mother there has to be something wrong with her, I will probably spay her. Maybe. If she does not snap out of this but she has never acted this way before ever. This is only her 3rd litter. And I needed a better answer than to spay her because I know that is one of my options but my last. I needed to know if there is something wrong with her.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Why wouldnt you spay her? It's the best thing to do..unless you want your cat to have lotsa kittens and give em away and have her act like that.

·
Premium Member
8,186 Posts
Hmm that is strange behavior. Does she act very protective of her kittens? Has there been a dramatic change in her usual setting or daily activities (besides having babies). I don't have much advice but I do hope she comes around to her normal loving self soon!

And as for the "spaying" comments....I noticed you are new to the board and just wanted to let you know that many posters here feel very very very strongly about getting your pet fixed, as I am of course. However, some just express their opinions about it much more than others, which is understandable...they know how many unwanted kitties are born to cats who have not been spayed. Do you find homes for all the litters or do you keep them? Just wondering. Welcome to the board! (I'd love to see pics of kittens in the "meet my kitty" section if you have some!!)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Her last litter was born in March? She is probably trying to wean the kittens, since they would be around 12 weeks old now, if she hasn't already. That would explain the sudden moodiness toward her kittens. I had a mama cat that lived outside that was constantly (not exaggerating here) pregnant. She would pop out one litter and then the next one would be right on their tails. We would always try to keep all of her kittens, but since we live out in the booneys, they would wander off.

Anyhoo, she would get VERY moody in between litters, both to her kittens, and to us. She would avoid me like the plague. I can't offer any guidance as far as to WHY they act like this, but I would think that it has a lot to do with getting the old ones pushed out of the nest before the new ones arrive. Since the litters are so close together, it probably stresses her out a bit. I am not really sure why she would act this way toward you, but being mean to the kittens is understandable. Its very normal.

You might want to CALL the vet, and ask for their advice over the phone. Just explain the situation and see if they have any answers. On a college kid budget, this helps!!

Hope this is helpful!

·
Registered
13 Posts
It sounds like she may need to see the vet. She could be having complications with the pregnancy and/or be in distress. She could have a major infection related to the pregnancy or something else completely. There are many things that can go wrong during a pregnancy that not only put the kittens at risk, but the momma too. I find it better to be safe than sorry.

As for getting her there, I have seen many different methods. You can trap her in a laundry basket and cover it securely or tie 2 laundry baskets together with one on top of the other. I've also seen people use pillowcases for transporting. However, if she really is being aggressive, I would probably use the laundry basket method by covering her with one and sliding something under it to trap her inside. Carefully, flip it over and either secure the cover or place another basket on top and tie it closed. I've also seen just plain cardboard boxes with small holes punched in it and taped shut and large dog carriers used.

I wish you the best of luck, and if you haven't already, I would encourage you to ask your veterinarian about the pros and cons of spaying. Some of us, like me, had to learn a very important lesson the hard way and we don't want anyone making a mistake because they didn't know it could happen to them. Let us know how she's doing and I hope everything works out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to say thank you much Heather, Miss Meowkins, and Parker! I have had plenty of cats in my life. And I know that she needs to go to the vet and I made an appointment today for her to go, just going to have A LOT of fun doing this, lol. But I will try the laundry basket thing! I do give all the kittens away, though I still have 2 left. They run in and out all day long they have a cat door to the outside, and she comes in like she usually did, just she comes in with an attitude. Some people think that I am wierd because I have tons of animals, but most of these animals came to me. I live in the country and tons of wild cats which she used to be a wild one, but when she came her either someone droped her off here or she just found her way. I keep them all here if they want to stay. One time last summer I always forget to roll up my windows to my car and I went out the next day to leave and there was a cat in there that I had never seen before and his front leg was mangled like just hanging there really sick!! My boyfriend wanted to go shoot him and I was like NO WAY, so I ran him to the vet and he was just so bad that he didn't even move the whole time that he was in the car and I took him in and the vet looked at him and said you would probably be best to put him to sleep but we could take the leg off and maybe he would make it but he has a lot of infection. I could not tell the vet to put him to sleep so I told him to try the surgery, it costed me $170 but he made it, and he stays here and he is the best cat he does leave for a couple days at a time now but he always comes home. I will post pictures of my kitties today. Just for you Heather lol. Right now I have 9 cats, 1 turtle, 2 fish and 4 dogs. OH OH OH and I have 4 kids, lol but I have plenty of love for them all. SO this is probably too long so I will shut up now, but really I just wanted to thank you guys for helping me and to let you know that I am not against spaying or nuetering, I have done it in the past and I will again.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I'm happy to hear you're getting her spayed and that most of the kittens went to homes. Good luck with everything :lol:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Please keep us posted regarding her vet visit!

Please get that poor mommy spayed. I know it isn't your fault that cats are being dropped off...I just hate when people do that. Go to your local humane society and look at all the cats that will never make it out alive. There is a serious cat overpopulation and we don't need more kittens in the world, as much as they are adorable! There are organizations out there that could possibly help you with the spaying operation. Do an online search for your area. Good luck :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well her visit went somewhat ok. I used the basket trick which she growled the whole time, but we made it there. Then the vet was going to get her out of it, and she hissed and scratched him and ran around the room like a maniac. But finally I talked her into letting me pick her up and put her on the table she didn't like him too much but I held her. All he said was that he couldn't find nothing, and for her being pregnant that we would just keep an eye on her, and when she is about ready to have them then bring her to him, which I guess she will have them about the last week in July, so we will see. I know a lot of you don't like that people let their kitties go outside, but I don't live by a road and I have 4 dogs to keep all the other animals away, so once we got home and I petted her a little she ran outside right to the barn and hasn't wanted anything to do with me. So I have to go out there for her and when I do she is fine she will lay there and let me pet her like there is nothing wrong, I guess because she can't see her babies. I take her food and water and she eats and comes to cuddle me, so I think that it is just her weaning process, hopefully!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts