Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you are going to tell me to see a vet, but right now hubby is fighting a worker's comp case so he has no income and I work part time on the internet and am ill.
I have 2 cats, one has always given me problems eating. Every 8 months to 16 months I usually switch cat foods so he will begin eating again, but I am at a loss what to do now. He only eats wet moist food, it can't be chunky , or with bits in it, just food. I have had him on Blue salmon cat food from Petsmart for the past year and lately he will only eat it a few times a week ( he does eat dry food) and sometimes throws it up( rarely) . I have tried so many types of food I am at a loss what to do next.
I have tried.. innova, avoderm, science diet, california natural, halo, solid gold , wellness, and more. Each time I end up having to feed the extra cans to feral cats. I can't travel father then this town I am in,where there is only a petsmart. I really don't want to give him lower grade food, but am at a loss. Any help will be great. Tia Cheyrl

·
Registered
316 Posts
Have you tried cycling his diet? What I do with Ariel is to make sure he doesn't end up disliking food by not feeding one type right after the other.

For instance- I open the big can of Innova and give him some for breakfast. For lunch, I open a 5.5 oz can of something else and give him that for lunch. I cycle both until they are done, then I switch it out for a completely different brand.

So far, it looks like the big cans last about 4-5 days, but since they are broken up by other flavors he doesn't seem to mind so far (and I never have 2 13.2oz cans going at the same time).

I also early on established that if he doesn't finish his meal in a hour, then the bowl goes up and he doesn't get anything until his next meal. As I feed him 3 times a day, this gives him more chances while still being inside the 24 hour period (if he doesn't eat in the 24 hours, you need a vet, which should be avoided).

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
One brand and one flavor? I would be bored eating the same thing every meal.
I feed my cats in a somewhat similar way as Rebbie. Right now I'm using Wellness canned (different flavors) and a little Innova Evo (Ancestral) dry kibble. (Canned food is better than kibble, but my cats like a little dry especially Evo). After a month, I will switch to another brand for variety. My two cats are eating the same thing (2x/day) for more than a few days. You might try and temp his appetite with putting a little bit of Fancy Feast on the top and lightly mixed in, or a bit of crumpled Temptations treats. As long as he feels the right weight (a thin layer of fat over his ribs, and showing a waist indentation from looking down on him) I wouldn't worry overly. But if he's too thin (feel spine and hip bones and ribs too easily), perhaps his blood should be checked for thyroid levels. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I third the recommendation for rotating daily instead of every few months. Apollo won't eat the same food several days in a row, let alone several months in a row. I feed my cats about 4-5 different brands in multiple flavors currently. They get a different brand/flavor every day or sometimes every meal.

I would try buying several varieties at once and rotating them more often to see if that piques his interest in food more. He may just be getting bored.

The other question is: do you free-feed the dry? Cats who are free-fed dry will often pig out on that and not be hungry for their wet food, or, even if the dry is portion controlled, will refuse their wet food in the hopes of getting more dry. Apollo used to do this. I ended up removing dry from their diet completely after slowly increasing the wet vs. the dry (because it's less healthy and Athena did not handle it well) and once he eventually realized he was no longer going to get any of it he started eating his wet food more. Now he loves wet.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Oh, and regarding the vomiting: there could be something in that particular food that doesn't agree with him. Especially since it sounds like he's thrown up that food more than once?

Some cats can be sensitive to fish (and there are other cons to feeding fish regularly as well) so you may want to try a non-fish flavor. Some cats can also be sensitive to grains (my Athena can't have them) and the Blue Spa Selects contain rice. Cats don't really need grains (nor veggies or fruit for that matter) you could try Blue Wilderness, that's their grain-free line.

Petsmart is unfortunately limited in their grain-free selection. Most Wellness varieties are grain free (look for the little yellow triangle on the can), Blue Wilderness is grain-free, but I'm not sure what else there is. PetCo has a much better selection, but it sounds like you don't have one near you? Are there any small local pet shops? They sometimes carry a much wider range of good foods, often for cheaper than the big chain shops. You'd be surprised. My local pet store is maybe 1/8th the size of my local Petsmart yet has way more quality cat foods to choose from at much better prices for the most part.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I agree with what's already said. I rotate my cat's wet canned dinner, a diff flavour every day but within the same brand. Occasionally, I'll throw in a diff brand too for one meal.

From what I read, the key to dealing with picky eaters is the variety.

If you can only go with Petsmart, then pick the grain free brands. Buy one of every flavour that doesn't have fish. Then feed a diff flavour or brand every meal. I personally don't go to Petsmart for their food. I go to a smaller store called Global Pet Foods (not sure if there's one near you).

·
Registered
4 Posts
2 suggestions for your finicky feline

Hi,

My superfinicky 5 year old will only eat Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken formula or PetGuard's Chicken and Wheat Germ. They are both pate (versus chunky) and have some gravy in them. I don't believe Petsmart carries either brand but if you have a feed & supply store or a health food store/coop near you, I'm sure they can order it for you. If not, there's always the internet as that's where I get most of my felines' food since it's one stop shopping. I like Pet Food Direct as you can always find coupons to use to save on shipping online, plus if you sign up for their emails, they always have special savings that you can take advantage of to save some $$$. :kittyturn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts