Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, about a month ago Whiskas did a recall of their dry food and that was a problem for us because our cats get sick if we have to give them any other food. We were finally able to get some Whiskas for them on Monday. Most of them are OK now, but one, Xander, is not. We don't know how old he is exactly but he is more than 10. He can't seem to jump, walks around slowly drooping his tail behind him. He's able to make it into the litter box but he hesitates before going in. He does seem to be able to move his bowels and bladder, when my brother checked them they looked fine to him, not runny or really hard and no blood. When I pet him he doesn't recoil in pain, I'm able to rub his rump on the top without any signs of distress. He doesn't seem to be in pain other than the slow walking, like he's not crying out or purring with distress. Even when he's moving.

He still eats and drinks water fine, in fact whenever I put either into the bowls he's the first one there.

He still moves around, just slowly, and he seems able to sleep ok.

We were hoping getting back to the old food would help, but so far he doesn't seem to be getting better.

Another issue I'm dealing with is my brother is hesitant to take him to the vet. I feel like he believes if he goes to the vet he's not coming back. We've dealt with a lot of death in our lives both for animals and people, so I'm sure the thought of another one is traumatizing for him. So any advice on that front would be helpful as well.

I'm hoping against hope this is something non-fatal, like arthritis or maybe he injured a leg or hip. I don't want to lose Xander. I don't want to lose any of my kitties even though I know eventually I will.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hello H. Nobody likes to get bad news, but I believe that ignoring a problem is never a good idea, and it sounds like Xander is having a problem. It may be something minor that's easily resolved, or something more serious that needs to be addressed. Either way, I'd call your Vet and tell them what's going on and see what they recommend.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Please take this cat to a vet! Even if the news is bad, doesn't your brother want to help the cat feel better? Bad news doesn't necessarily mean fatal! It may be something very treatable and to let the cat suffer because of some person's fear of the news is cruel to the cat. If he cares about the cat, he will take the cat for an exam and treatment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts