Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At some point my boyfriend and I will be moving in together. We want the dogs and cats to like each other. I am just not sure how to make that happen? What is the best way to introduce them to each other? I brought my maltese over to his house the other day and as long as I was holding her everyone was fine. But as soon as I put her down the cats tail got all huge and one started hissing. Thank goodness the cats are declawed. So should we just let them warm up to each other when they feel ok with it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Since your cats are declawed and the maltese is a toy dog (unless my memory fails me now lol) I don't think any of your pets will kill each other. But whatever you do- do not leave them alone without supervision. Keep the maltese in one room and the cats on the other side and let them get used to being within that kind of proximity. Exchange a rag or some toy from the dog to the cats so that the smell is more familiar too. When that seems to be going fine I'd hold the maltese and sit in the same room with the cats. Then put the dog on the ground (on a leash) next to you and see if the cats start hissing and being mad. Take baby steps if need be and wait an extra day or few hours if things don't go over too well. I found that handing out little treats when things were going well made both my dogs and the cat much more at ease.

But I was introducing a cat to a multidog household and my dogs started viewing the cat as a sort of puppy (kitten, heh) to be very gentle with, but I am not sure how a small dog would really react to cats. So maybe my method wouldn't work perfectly. :( Good luck though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts