Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little guy Tom, is Aby/Tabby mix, and I'm wondering if anyone else who might own an Aby can give me insight to their behavior and traits? He's a funny little guy, and he's proving to be a bit more inquisitive than my other kittens. He's about 4 1/2 months old, but I see no signs of the kitten-ness wearing off! LOL...

He was just neutered last week, and he's still full steam ahead!

Just wanted some feedback from other Aby owners.

Thanks,
Lisa :)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi imatarb-

I believe that both of our guys although mostly tabby are at least somewhat abby also. I have said before that they are probably "Heinz 57". They were strays that were born in our back yard.

That being out of the way, I have read about Abby traits from various places on the web. This is what makes me think they have some Abby in them. They both play in water, drink from running faucets, are very intellignet and inquisitive. They act very much like a dog would. They know their names and come when called, *if done in a certain way*. They both carry stuff around in their mouth. They like being up high off the floor and don't like being carried by people. So far they have not shown any interest in being lap cats, although they are always in the same room that we are in. They always keep an eye on us. Wittle has a louder voice and is somewhat more demanding than Coco, but they both have sooo many different sounds. They both use their paws as people use their hands.

You can do a Google search and find out tons of stuff about them.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I think another member Hana on this board has one but I'm not too sure if its an Abby.....maybe you can message her :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to have an aby/tortie cross and she was a very intelligent cat.
She used to watch the tv and once when a bird hopped off the side of the screen she ran round the back of the tv to find it. :lol:

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tom does all those silly things that most kittens do, but he also does things as if he's a dog. He will fetch, he will wrestle with you, and he just doesn't behave like a typical feline. It's hilarious, really.

I must admit, he is a lap cat, which I know isn't typical Aby behavior, but it must be the tabby in him. In any case, I love it. He's a true cuddler.

Lisa :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
My mom has an Abby that is quite old now but she has always been naturally inquisitive and likes to climb. My dad is not a cat person YET he absolutely adores this cat.

Most of the kittens I've had were still very frisky at 4 1/2 months.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi,

I have a red Abbys and he is VERY curious about everything! I can't bring anything into the house without him noticing it and being right there to inspect it and of course play with it. He is also very active and hunts nearly all night long. I rarely see him sleep even in the day. 8O
He loves to be petted, but isn't a big lap cat and will occasionally sit with me in the chair. He loves everyone who comes to our house and is right up on them smelling them and wanting to play. He drinks out of the toilet and begs to have the bathroom faucet turned on for him. He comes when you call him and greets us at the door very much like our dog. He crawls into every nook he can get into and even gets inside the back of our lazyboy when we recline it. He is very very quiet and I don't hear a meow out of him for days. He chatters at the birds outside, but when I hear a meow I get up to see what he wants. :lol:
He loves to play and runs thru the house from one window to the other.
Someone mentioned that they don't like to be carried and that I do notice. I didn't know if it was just our cat or the breed. He hangs on tight like he is going to fall or be dropped and it is only for about 15 seconds and he flys out of our arms.
He loves to be fed from a spoon and will grab at it almost like he wants to hold it himself.
He always has to be in the same room as me, especially the bathroom. I never get any alone time in there. :lol:

I have never had a cat before so I don't know how different he is from other cats. I DO know for a fact that he is much more active then most cats that I have seen on TV and at my friends house. We wanted an active cat so he fits well in our house. He is like an active puppy and I now know why the breeder told us that Abys aren't for everyone. Abys are for dog lovers!

I hope this helps. Please ask if you have any specific questions about the breed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts